Cobpyth's Top 101 Favorite Feature Films

→ in
Tools    

An other one I haven't seen an am really interested to watch

+ rep for The Seventh Seal. I've only seen it twice, but I loved it, though it's definitely not the kind of film I could just throw on at any time.

I've not seen Midnight In Paris, but I will at some point.

90. Young Frankenstein (1974)

Young Frankenstein is by far the best parody of a genre that I've ever seen. While being absurdly hilarious, this film is still infused with love for the source material it is ridiculing. Therefore, this film has the wonderful classic horror atmosphere AND the brilliant comedy.
Furthermore, the performances in this film are absolutely fantastic. Gene Wilder is LEGENDARY as Dr. Frankenstein and Peter Doyle, Marty Feldman, Cloris Leachman, Teri Garr and especially Madeline Kahn are also phenomenal.

I can't imagine anyone NOT liking this film. This is Comedy with a big C.

-------------------------------

I preferred Blazing Saddles when I was younger but not anymore. I think Young Frankenstein has aged much better; it will certainly be on my 70's list.

Haven't seen Midnight in Paris.

Midnight in Paris was my first Woody Allen and it's by far his best for me. Truly great movie.

I like at least three other Bergman films more than Seventh Seal, which I found a bit hard to sit through.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Midnight in Paris was my first Woody Allen and it's by far his best for me. Truly great movie.

I like at least three other Bergman films more than Seventh Seal, which I found a bit hard to sit through.
It's a film that does get better upon rematches for me, but still not my favorite Woody.

Watched Young Frankenstein recently, thought it was good but not great. Midnight in Paris is one of only two Woody Allen films that I have seen, and I think it's very good

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I've never really got why people (especially those who have seen his other films) were crazy about Midnight in Paris. It's somewhat fun in the midnight portions, but nothing that ever feels better than a good gimmick. The exterior plot was dull and obvious, a pretty bad misread on the relationship, and characters. It essentially felt like an updated and muddled version of the much better The Purple Rose of Cairo.

I've never really got why people (especially those who have seen his other films) were crazy about Midnight in Paris. It's somewhat fun in the midnight portions, but nothing that ever feels better than a good gimmick. The exterior plot was dull and obvious, a pretty bad misread on the relationship, and characters. It essentially felt like an updated and muddled version of the much better The Purple Rose of Cairo.
I've pretty much seen all of his films (I've seen 40 of them) and I still think it's one of his best. It may be because it was one of the first Allen films I saw, but I still think it's a great film objectively speaking.
I don't think there was a "misread" on the relationship or the characters in the exterior plot. Allen was just presenting life's disappointments in, admiddetly, an obvious and familiar way, but it worked very well for me in contrast with the ideal image that the main character had of older and so called better times.
It certainly has many similarities with the perhaps even more clever The Purple Rose of Cairo (which is a film that I also adore) and it may be a concept that has been done before, but I'm not the kind of person who really cares about such things, unless it is really bothering me.
Midnight in paris was very effective to me and I was loving practically every scene I was watching. It charmed me, it made me laugh and it tackled interesting themes (that have been done before, even by Woody) in original and atmospheric ways that really struck me personally. That's why I added it to this list of personal favorites.

As expected, I'm digging this list based off the first ten (+), in fact it's hard to believe that it gets better from here, but I have faith in you Cob , I'm pretty sure I saw Sleeping Beauty as a kid but I'm not positive. LA Confidential is my least favorite from the list as I think it's grossly over rated.Kill Bill volume 1 is a great action, and Rosemary Baby is one of my favorites. Have you seen any of the other apartment trilogy films, since the environment is one that you love? I own The Seventh Seal but have not watched it yet, Midnight in Paris is my second favorite Woody Allen film and one of my favorite atmosphere movies. I've been a long time fan of Mel Brooks, and Young Frankenstein is his classic comedy.

Have you seen any of the other apartment trilogy films, since the environment is one that you love?
Unfortunately not. It is definitely something I will fix in the upcoming months, though. I already have Repulsion ready to watch.

I'm glad you're enjoying the list so far. I knew you would like some of these early choices.

that is film, they're all gimmicks

the ones we love are the ones that are good, interesting, & strike a chord, so we don't care... that or they hypnotized you so well that you think it's not a gimmick when it still is

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Wonderful start to the list Cobpyth!

89. Gravity (2013)

This is one of the most recently released additions to my list of favorite films. I saw it at the theater a few months ago (in 3D) and since then I haven't stopped defending this film's greatness against some of my friends and a few of my fellow MoFo members. Gravity truly is a remarkable cinematic experience.

This film is particularly praised for its brilliant visual effects, and rightly so. This is one of the best looking movies of recent memory.
Apart from that, I also found great satisfaction in its story. It's simple, but it struck me as extremely humane and meaningful. The fact that it was presented in such a spectacular and intense manner only strengthened it.

Gravity is without a doubt one of the greatest cinematic achievements of our decade so far.

-------------------------------

Yep, I share your feelings on Gravity great movie. The only thing that bothered me was when Bullock saw the ghost of Clooney. I found it cliché and pointless, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a great film