Salma Hayek or look-alike past eras brothel flick?

Tools    

Back in the late 90's/early 2000's, I watched a film on one of the cable movie channels that I've never been able to remember the name of. This has been driving me up the wall for the better part of 2 years, when I recalled it and watched t rewatch it, but no amount of googling has turned up a title. Thus, I'm here to see if this jogs anyone's memory. Most of the story has faded from memory, but here goes with the vague memories.

1. If I recall correctly, the setting was a brothel, but not a seedy one. I remember it was more upscale than seedy.
  2. Unless I'm remembering the time period very wrong, my memory is leaning towards being set circa early 1900's, give or take some years I remember a lot of candle lighting, cannot recall electrical lighting, and dresses worn were a little more on the "fluffy" side, but not overly so.
  3. I can't remember exactly where this was supposed to be set, but I was to say Mexico. I can't say for certain if it was desert arid or not, but the architecture definitely hinted more "south of the border".
  4. I remember a night scene in a courtyard-like area with lanterns strung up above it.
  5. I'd SWEAR the female lead was Salma Hayek, but nothing in her listed acting history is ringing a bell -- it's definitely not Midaq Alley. It's possible the actress was someone else who was a dead ringer for her, though.
  6. I can't recall the male actor, but his character was trying to get Salma's/Salma-look-alike's character to leave/rescue her. She ended up not leaving, and I'm stuck with the impression she got more into the business pretty willingly.
  7. The movie was definitely in English, I don't recall subtitles.
  8. I don't recall when the movie was made, just a general stretch of years I saw it during.

Is this ringing a bell with anyone? Thanks in advance to anyone who goes sleuthing!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I'll take a stab but I already think it's way off - Frida?

I don't think it was Frida, I'm pretty sure I'd have remembered that uni-brow, lol.

I don't think it was Frida, I'm pretty sure I'd have remembered that uni-brow, lol.
LOL.

Good movie. I cant actually remember if that is in english or spanish.

Like Water for Chocolate (1992)?? Thinking it had subtitles, tho.

Like Water for Chocolate (1992)?? Thinking it had subtitles, tho.
Lovely movie. Not Slma, though.

Probably wrong, but I wanna say... 'From Dusk till Dawn'?

Bandidas? It is a 2006 movie. It stars Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz. It is set in Mexico and there is a scene in which the two are dressed in Burlesque.