Tadpole ****

I absolutely adore this picture! Tadpole is a smart, funny, and hypnotic, coming of age film that uses a higher form of speech than most other films of this type. Oscar is a brilliant young man that falls in love the only way he knows how: obsessively. I too thought that the entire cast did wonderfully in capturing the people they were supposed to portray, and was enthralled with the witticisms that each of the characters purged from themselves in a never-ending fashion.

The restaurant scene was almost too painful to watch, but watch I did. I wound up being overjoyed the way Gary Winick, the director, handled the material. Even though it is more acceptable in our hypocritical society for a young man to seduce, or be seduced by, an older woman compared to its opposite, it can still be dangerous ground to tread. Tadpole handles this with wit and respect. It all seems a little unrealistic the way the characters behave, but you never know. There are billions of us sharing this rock, so who is to say in what way everyone else would behave. Not only is this movie funny and intelligent, it is also very erotic in nature. Whenever there are scenes where Oscar gets close to a woman, it looks real. So real in fact, that it almost seems like voyeurism.

One thing I noticed when I picked up the DVD is that the back cover completely misrepresents the film. It portrays it as a romp where Oscar is fighting off both women, and showing a picture proving that. Another thing is the way the front cover is airbrushed making the women look younger and wrinkle free, whereas the movie shows them as 40 something year old women, wrinkled and beautiful anyway. It actually angers me that the studio decides to do that to capture people’s attention. What’s wrong with the truth? What’s wrong with showing Sigourney Weaver and Bebe Neuwirth as they really are? They’re lovely without the subterfuge. Oh well.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."