M. Night Shyamalan a thief???

Tools    

The author of Ender's Game Orson Scott Card makes writes a weekly column on his website about general pop-culture things and whatever he fancies.

I read a column of his not to long ago that stated that M. Night Shyamalan was getting his ideas for his movies from books (Orson included) for such movies as The Sixth Sense and The Village.

He says that The Village is a complete rip-off of Margaret Peterson Haddix's 1995 young-adult novel Running Out of Time and that The Sixth Sense is what hollywood would have done if they wanted to turn his own novel Lost Boys into a movie.

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything else about this or had read either of those books. The link for Orson's article is below...

Read Article

Yes, the Running Out of Time comparisons were made this summer when the movie came out. I never heard M. Night respond to it, but it was definitely noted by many in the media and on the internet.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I never heard anyone or read any articles questioning his credibility to that one, appologies if its old news.

But that kind of brings up the question what really is original anyways? You can probably link just about any book or movie to another book or movie in some fashion. I have enjoyed some of M. Night's work so I hope that he didn't read these books and twists a few details and run away with it. But from what Card says it seems that way.