MoFo Lists

Tools    

Yoda my man there is a great site called http://www.theyshootpictures.com/ which, like Sight & Sound, has compiled lists from critics and directors to create some sort of 'definitive' best movies ever list.

They have a main '1000 greatest films' list but it is rather large and if we were to say, cut it down and just include the first 100, we would probably get a bit of a crossover with the Sight and Sound Director's poll and the AFI top 100. They do however, have an interesting list of the 21st century's most acclaimed films. There are 250 films on the list but I guess it could be cut down to 100. It may be an interesting addition as if we were to find a gap in the entire list portfolio it would clearly be the 'newer' films. And its a very decent poll in my opinion. Anyway mate, have a gander and see what you think. Here is a direct link with a few nice pictures to make my post look pretty:

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/21s..._films1-50.htm

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yes, it's an interesting site where you could hang out for hours. I especially disagree with most of their Top Films of the 21st Century List. For example, their "critic"'s top film of 2008, The Flight of the Red Balloon, gets my vote as WORST film of the year.

I've been making my way through that top 1000 lately, cross-referencing with other sources to find films that I may want to see, I think I'm at 700 right now. I've seen over half of the top 1000 myself, yes I counted. Not too sure about the inclusion of their top films of the 21st century list though, it'll always be changing. I'm down with the inclusion of their main list though, probably needs to be a shortened version, but then again this list is in constant flux as well.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Kudos for counting Harry, I started but after 200 or so packed it in. One day (probably a very rainy day) i'll count and see how many i've seen. I can't imagine anyone can tick them all off (not even Mark or Holden) - a few of them are just lost. Oh and on the subject of Hou Hsiao-Hsien Mark, I can't seem to find any of his other films, save Three Times and Ozu appreciation Cafe Lumiere, anywhere. And I really, really want to see them.

I've seen a few of his films and the only one I really liked was Goodbye, South Goodbye and even then I can understand why someone would be turned off by this film.

On the subject of completing the top 1000, looking up certian films on imdb it appears to be a near impossible task, some very obscure films on there.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I guess Netflix doesn't know where some of their films are located.
Here is where I found them.

Landmarks of Early Film; at the 18:20 mark, A Trip to the Moon;
at 42:55, The Great Train Robbery.
Warning, stills of topless women at beginning of film.

D.W. Griffith: Years of Discovery 1909-1913: Disc 2;
Episode 22, The Battle at Elderbush Gulch.

The Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection: Vol. 1: Disc 1;
Safety Last!

The Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection: Vol. 2: Disc 1;
The Freshman.

Marlene Dietrich: The Glamour Collection: Disc 1;
Morocco.

I've decided to watch these movies again, before I mark any of them off my lists. There are quite a few that I've seen more than 100 times, so while I'm busy with all of this data entry . . . filing . . . something . . . I dunno, but they're paying me good to do it . . . I'm going to play those movies in the background. Shhhh, it counts as a view. Anyway, this will explain why it looks as though I've only seen 4 movies, so far.

Just reached 70% on the 100 years 100 movies.
Hey congratulations!

Did you have difficulty locating any of them?

The Cannes list is kicking my ass.

Thanks... I'm determined to reach 100 on all of them! And then I'll be all like "Ha-ha, Mr. Holden Pike, I am now where you were when you were 9! How do you like them apples?!"

Oh and no, I don't have difficulty locating anything, I'm a dirty rotten pirate so it's all at my fingertips (free of charge).

Been slacking off on my lists a bit lately. Find myself too enamored with other random films, and after a rush of list films I often find it starts to feel a little bit too much like an assignment, so I have to mix it up for awhile. Thinking of going on another list-completing spree in the coming weeks, though, perhaps with westerns.

Been slacking off on my lists a bit lately. Find myself too enamored with other random films, and after a rush of list films I often find it starts to feel a little bit too much like an assignment, so I have to mix it up for awhile. Thinking of going on another list-completing spree in the coming weeks, though, perhaps with westerns.
Really Yoda, could you not do another western list.

The list PW mentioned 100 GREATEST FOREIGN FILMS is pretty solid.

Heh, yeah, that one's rough, huh? I'll never get through it.

I like that Filmsite list. Thanks for the reminder; I'll see about getting it up on the site.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've seen 84 of the Foreign list, plus part of The Decalogue, but I would like to see 100% if possible. I remember reading that list once and then I completely forgot about it. Wow, that was boring and self-congratulating.

Heh, yeah, that one's rough, huh? I'll never get through it.

I like that Filmsite list. Thanks for the reminder; I'll see about getting it up on the site.
Oh no Yoda, you will get through that list.

Even if I have to fly to Pennsylvania and make you.

I've seen 84 of the Foreign list, plus part of The Decalogue, but I would like to see 100% if possible. I remember reading that list once and then I completely forgot about it. Wow, that was boring and self-congratulating.
Boring, no, self-congratulating, maybe, self-deprecating, yes.

mark f you could cut yourself some slack.

Speaking of lists, Loner. How's that one we talked about coming along?
I've got to 72 on it.

It's not close to being in order.