Noirvember 2023 - Rate the last noir you watched

Tools    

Ladies In Retirement (1941)
Charles Vidor

I was surprised to learn that this was an American film. Most of the cast is British. It's set in an old English country estate and takes place in 1885. Everything about this says gothic-drama and yet it's labeled noir.

Anyway I found the film plodding. I know Ida Lupino is capable of great work but here she didn't really get a chance to shine. I guess her two 'crazy' sisters (Elsa Lanchester, Edith Barrett) were entertaining as caricatures as they clean up the marsh by dragging every dead bird and stick they can find into the house. This should've been a light drama comedy.

Lady on a Train (1945)

Deanna Dubin in a comedy noir mystery...and it works if you're looking for a light comic mystery. If you're looking for a serious noir, this isn't the film to watch. I seen this years again and so wanted to watch it again and I enjoyed it for what it was. Deanna sings three songs: the Christmas classic Silent Night which she sings to her father on the phone...Cole Porter's Night and Day which she sings in the Circus Club which is a stunning set. My favorite was also performed at the Circus Club set Give Me a Little Kiss by Roy Turk, Jack Smith and Maceo Pinkard. Fun film set at Christmas with Dan Duryea who may or may not be the bad guy, Edward Everett Horton doing his usual comic relief, Alan Jenkins doing his usual tough guy henchman bit and Ralph Bellamy, well being Ralph Bellamy. Fast paced and fun but not noir.

A Prize of Gold (1955)
Mark Robson

Thought I'd watch a color noir, they didn't make many. This one was a lackluster story and no character or world building. But it has one saving grace it was shot in occupied West Germany and we get to see the real carnage that was left from WWII...and in color. First I noticed the big building in the back had all these light spots on it, then I figured out those were from gun fire and bomb blast. Not Richard Widmark's best film by far and hardly qualifies as a noir.
[rating]3[rating]

He Walked by Night

Good to be back in the saddle. Going to try and get another dozen Noir in before submitting my list. This one is pretty great in my opinion. I was hesitant when the narration started an it was in the same vein as T Men and Naked City. This is a much better procedural than either of those. I love the procedural element, and the story moves nicely. The cinematography here is fantastic. there’s good Noir cinematography and then there is movies like this that just take the lighting and shadowing up a few notches. Really good Noir, glad I got to it.

Good to be back in the saddle. Going to try and get another dozen Noir in before submitting my list...
Glad to hear it, I was getting lonely in here! I'm hoping to get in another couple dozen noirs or so before the deadline. I need to revisit some of the greats and chill on watching the not-quite-noirs films that I've been checking out. I do have He Walked by Night on my short list to watch. I did see it once, like 20 years ago and was impressed, so much so I've never forgotten it.

In a Lonely Place (1950)
Nicholas Ray

This was one of my favorite noirs and currently sets in my top 10 movie profile here at MoFo. I wrote a glowing review on my last viewing some eight years ago, old review. But last night I revisited In a Lonely Place and found quite a different film than I had previously experienced.

Yes, the story of an unhinged screenwriter who's accused of murdering a hat check girl who he'd invited to his apartment the night before, still packs a wallop. And yes Bogart is still cool and Gloria still fashionably luminous. But the directorial choices by Nicholas Ray are laid on too thick and heavy. Ray doesn't allow us to see anything redeeming in Dixon Steel (Humphrey Bogart). Dixon is a one note idea with no character development. He's all bizarrely evil without any charm or redeeming qualities that would allow us and there forth his girlfriend to see something special in him. As played by Bogart and directed by Ray, Dixon is a 100% hothead psycho. In reality he should be in his own lonely place as everyone around him would shun him, staying as far as they could from his antisocial behavior. In fact that would've been the better angle for this movie.

Gloria Grahame's Laurel Gray...unfortunately falls in love with Dixon but we never experience the all important 'audience also falls in love' with the idea of the couple 'following in love'. If Dixon had more to him than just bizarre behavior it might be more believably that Laurel falls in love with him so deeply that at first she's blinded by his dark side. That dichotomy of love vs violence is an important theme that unfortunately isn't explored deeply enough here.

The film lost my belief in the events when at the beach party Dixon in a rage storms off and drives like a madman down the winding road with Laurel. His erratic driving ends with him sideswiping a car causing a young male driver to confront him angrily. Dixon the hot head beats him to a pulp...OK I buy that, but I don't buy the scene where he picks up a big rock and is about to smash the unconscious guys brains out, only to be stopped by a screaming Laurel. That was attempted murder and at that point Laurel would be so afraid of him that she would get out of her apartment and stay with Detective Nicolai (Frank Lovejoy) and his wife played by Jeff Donnell. The rock bit should've been left out. The director should've dialed back the explosive violence from Bogart, allowing him excuses for his erratic behavior, so that it's then believable that Laurel would love him.

As the film was Dixon's antisocial violent behavior should've ended with him being the killer and killing Laurel. After the movie was over I read that the source novel did indeed have Dixon as a serial murderer/rapist. I also learned the original ending to the film had Dixon killing Laurel, that would've a likely outcome to his violent behavior. I don't believe Laurel or his press agent or anyone would be friends with someone so controlling and violent as Dixon. I don't blame Bogart, I blame the director Nicholas Ray who reportedly rewrote almost every page of the script as they filmed. In a Lonely Place is not balanced, not believable and not polished enough. If this had been made as a pulpy b-noir on a shoestring budget with no-name actors, I might have then enjoyed the brash coarseness of it.

In a Lonely Place (1950)
Nicholas Ray

This was one of my favorite noirs and currently sets in my top 10 movie profile here at MoFo. I wrote a glowing review on my last viewing some eight years ago, old review. But last night I revisited In a Lonely Place and found quite a different film than I had previously experienced.

Yes, the story of an unhinged screenwriter who's accused of murdering a hat check girl who he'd invited to his apartment the night before, still packs a wallop. And yes Bogart is still cool and Gloria still fashionably luminous. But the directorial choices by Nicholas Ray are laid on too thick and heavy. Ray doesn't allow us to see anything redeeming in Dixon Steel (Humphrey Bogart). Dixon is a one note idea with no character development. He's all bizarrely evil without any charm or redeeming qualities that would allow us and there forth his girlfriend to see something special in him. As played by Bogart and directed by Ray, Dixon is a 100% hothead psycho. In reality he should be in his own lonely place as everyone around him would shun him, staying as far as they could from his antisocial behavior. In fact that would've been the better angle for this movie.

Gloria Grahame's Laurel Gray...unfortunately falls in love with Dixon but we never experience the all important 'audience also falls in love' with the idea of the couple 'following in love'. If Dixon had more to him than just bizarre behavior it might be more believably that Laurel falls in love with him so deeply that at first she's blinded by his dark side. That dichotomy of love vs violence is an important theme that unfortunately isn't explored deeply enough here.

The film lost my belief in the events when at the beach party Dixon in a rage storms off and drives like a madman down the winding road with Laurel. His erratic driving ends with him sideswiping a car causing a young male driver to confront him angrily. Dixon the hot head beats him to a pulp...OK I buy that, but I don't buy the scene where he picks up a big rock and is about to smash the unconscious guys brains out, only to be stopped by a screaming Laurel. That was attempted murder and at that point Laurel would be so afraid of him that she would get out of her apartment and stay with Detective Nicolai (Frank Lovejoy) and his wife played by Jeff Donnell. The rock bit should've been left out. The director should've dialed back the explosive violence from Bogart, allowing him excuses for his erratic behavior, so that it's then believable that Laurel would love him.

As the film was Dixon's antisocial violent behavior should've ended with him being the killer and killing Laurel. After the movie was over I read that the source novel did indeed have Dixon as a serial murderer/rapist. I also learned the original ending to the film had Dixon killing Laurel, that would've a likely outcome to his violent behavior. I don't believe Laurel or his press agent or anyone would be friends with someone so controlling and violent as Dixon. I don't blame Bogart, I blame the director Nicholas Ray who reportedly rewrote almost every page of the script as they filmed. In a Lonely Place is not balanced, not believable and not polished enough. If this had been made as a pulpy b-noir on a shoestring budget with no-name actors, I might have then enjoyed the brash coarseness of it.

Well, if you want to look at it through the lens of real-life, remaining in abusive relationships with irredeemable people for extended periods of time who you recognize as being awful early on is very common.

As for the film, though it's been some time since I've seen it, I don't think Laurel really got to see his dark side until the beach scene. Before that, he mostly came off as an even-tempered and nice guy.
WARNING: spoilers below
After that scene though, she confessed to the older gentleman privately that she accepted his marriage proposal out of fear and then made efforts to leave him in the last act.

Well, if you want to look at it through the lens of real-life, remaining in abusive relationships with irredeemable people for extended periods of time who you recognize as being awful early on is very common.

As for the film, though it's been some time since I've seen it, I don't think Laurel really got to see his dark side until the beach scene. Before that, he mostly came off as an even-tempered and nice guy.
WARNING: spoilers below
After that scene though, she confessed to the older gentleman privately that she accepted his marriage proposal out of fear and then made efforts to leave him in the last act.

Yes, it is a very dark story that is easy for many people to relate to. It's important to note that her fear wasn't just for herself, but for his own wellbeing as well.

Many people want out of relationships, despite still caring deeply about the other person. It can be made all the harder if the other person doesn't seem like they'll be able to cope with you leaving. This is however, whether knowingly or unknowingly, often deliberate on the other person's part. By making themselves completely emotionally dependent on the other person, they can essentially 'hold a gun to their own head' to keep the other person from leaving.

Sorry to rant, but I recently saw "Men" and it was brilliant. Co-dependency and obsession are never good things.

That's not my complaint though. There's plenty of noirs that I love that rely on the abusive relationship aspect. My complaint is that the film didn't sell me on the idea that anyone would want to have anything to do with Dix (Bogart).

I didn't see Bogart's character as either even-tempered or nice. In the opening scene right away he hits a guy in a bar who was disrespecting his friend. Then at the police station he doesn't even care that a girl that he knew had been killed. After the beach scene with the rock, that should've been enough to scare Laurel away. The director focused to heavy on Dixon being a loose cannon without first building an inner-self for him that might have allowed for some chemistry. Good story but poor direction IMO.

...Many people want out of relationships, despite still caring deeply about the other person. It can be made all the harder if the other person doesn't seem like they'll be able to cope with you leaving. This is however, whether knowingly or unknowingly, often deliberate on the other person's part. By making themselves completely emotionally dependent on the other person, they can essentially 'hold a gun to their own head' to keep the other person from leaving...
Yes I know that, but that's not my complaint about the film, see what I wrote above to SpelingError. A good example of a hot head loose cannon that acts erratic and violent and yet still has an inner soul that we can related to is Dix (Sterling Hayden) in Asphalt Jungle.

In a Lonely Place (1950)
Nicholas Ray

I agree that scenes like Bogie almost bashing that driver's head in was too much-- over the top. And as you say, in the book, turns out Dix was a serial killer/rapist. But I think with Nicholas Ray's noir sensibilities they had to change Dix's character like it was in the movie. IOW they could't have him be a serial killer.

I thought it was interesting that Louise Brooks claimed that the Dix character was very close to the real life Bogart's, what with the drinking and violent temper.

I still think it's a fine film, but to my taste there are much better examples of top noir.

I agree that scenes like Bogie almost bashing that driver's head in was too much-- over the top.
The entire scene from Bogart getting mad at the beach, his then insane drive down a winding road and his fighting & beating to a pulp, a man who called him names after Bogart smashed his car into his....was good. It worked perfectly to establish the explosive danger of Dixon. If the part where Bogart picks up a big rock to bash the brains out of the now unconscious man's head, had been left out I'd believe Laurel would stay with him. But she was already rightly leery of him, he had been accused of murdering a girl he had in his room and would've murdered the guy along the roadside if she hadn't screamed. To resolve that and maintain an intelligent script Laurel would then need to attempt to leave him (which she didn't do until later) or Dixon needed to turn out to be the actual murderer as he was in the book. I just didn't sense any chemistry between them. And I wasn't sold on their love.

As much as I like Gloria Grahame and she was really in top form in the last half of the film...I think Lauren Bacall might have had more chemistry on screen with her husband, Bogart.

And as you say, in the book, turns out Dix was a serial killer/rapist. But I think with Nicholas Ray's noir sensibilities they had to change Dix's character like it was in the movie. IOW they could't have him be a serial killer.
True I don't think the books ending would've passed muster with the Hays office.

I thought it was interesting that Louise Brooks claimed that the Dix character was very close to the real life Bogart's, what with the drinking and violent temper.
That's interesting indeed. I don't really know much about Bogart the man. I should watch some documentaries on him. In fact I think I will because I've only a few more of his films to go before I complete his filmography.
I still think it's a fine film, but to my taste there are much better examples of top noir.
A noir that I like that has a very abusive relationship with a psychotic, yet calm killer is A Kiss Before Dying (1956) with a young and slick Robert Wagner wooing the ladies before killing them.

That's not my complaint though. There's plenty of noirs that I love that rely on the abusive relationship aspect. My complaint is that the film didn't sell me on the idea that anyone would want to have anything to do with Dix (Bogart).
It worked well enough for me, personally. She admitted to liking him at the police station, got to know him better throughout the movie, and only later did she see his dark side. Not knowing about the full extent of his behavior definitely impacted her attraction to him.

I didn't see Bogart's character as either even-tempered or nice. In the opening scene right away he hits a guy in a bar who was disrespecting his friend. Then at the police station he doesn't even care that a girl that he knew had been killed. After the beach scene with the rock, that should've been enough to scare Laurel away. The director focused to heavy on Dixon being a loose cannon without first building an inner-self for him that might have allowed for some chemistry. Good story but poor direction IMO.
I was referring to what she witnessed from him. He undoubtedly did bad things prior to the beach scene, but for the most part, Laurel wasn't around for it. So it's natural that it wouldn't color her attraction towards him that much.

The Set-Up (1949)
Robert Wise

My first and only viewing of this excellent noir was eight years ago in the very first Noir HoF, hosted by me. It was Holden Pike's nomination and I was impressed. So much so that I've never forgotten it. Last night I revisited The Set-Up and if anything was more impressed with the film.

I'm going to post my old review below but I do want to say I was utterly impressed at how polished the film was. The direction by Robert Wise is perfect. The performance by Robert Ryan was real, not acting, I believed him, the boxing looked real too. Audrey Totter is good here, I enjoyed here screen time as much as I did Robert Ryan's.

Talk about world building! The Set-Up in just one long sequences in the locker room gives us so much insight into the comradery, hopes, dreams and fears of these boxers. We see what they have to go through in a hope to move up the ranks to the big time. I appreciated the sequences where Audrey Totter, who's too nervousness about the fight walks around Paradise City and is constantly reminded of the dangers who husband faces in the ring. Loved the realistic look of this dingy town and the people and places who inhabited it. The resolve at the end is perfect. I'm upping this by half a popcorn to
Actually that could be 5/5 as I didn't see one misstep or missed opportunity in this gem.

So you noir fans, watch it, consider it for your ballot if you really like it.

My old review, but it's a good one.
Premise (spoiler free): A down and out aging boxer, Stoker (Robert Ryan) refuses to give up on his boxing career. His wife Julie (Audrey Totter) fears for his health and wants him to quit. A corrupt gambler bets heavily that Stoker will be knocked out in the next match and pays Stoker's boxing manager Tiny (George Tobias) to make sure the match is fixed. Tiny has such little faith in Stoker's boxing ability he doesn't even bother to tell the boxer to take a dive.

Everything that I covered in the premise takes place in the first few minutes on the film. The Set-Up uniquely takes place in real time and covers 73 minutes from just before the boxing match to the minutes following the outcome. At the start of the movie a clock shows 9:05PM, at the end of the movie the same clock shows 10:16PM, (the other 2 minutes are for screen credits.)

The Set-Up is an early film noir directed by Robert Wise. What makes this film special is it's starkness. What you see is almost docudrama style and well done. The films focuses on just one event...the set-up in the boxing ring and it's final outcome.

Boxing fans should like this movie, but it offers much more than boxing. Robert Ryan takes what could be a two dimensional character and gives him soul. We see that Stoker is hopeful and we see that he knows he's one of the down and out boxers, with little hope. Audrey Totter also deserves credit for keeping her portrayal real. The scene with her standing at the freeway overpass, shows her skill as an actress. But that scene and others should also be credited to Robert Wise who understood the maxim 'less is more'.

The Set-Up is not a well known film noir but it should be.

Big fan of The Set-Up. The way I got to see so many great noir films in a relatively short time was through my national broadcaster: The ABC (Australian actually). They used to run old b&w films as filler during the middle of the night and I used to tape these. They had packages of mainly RKO and Rank Organisation stuff, which probably explains why I have such a liking for these particular brands - love RKO noir! After that I then discovered YouTube and something else similar that probably can't be mentioned and have since been living in movie utopia.

I intended to make more of an effort in the lead up to this countdown as it's something that really interests me, but alas other life things have gotten in the way. I've made some preliminary research into what I've seen - about 200 films that qualify as noir - and half of which I can't fully remember! Looking through the posts of other members this seems to be a common issue with many of the themes, plots and titles becoming blurred in memory. Additionally, as many others have alluded to it really is difficult to define the genre, because you really have to define it for yourself, within the rules of the countdown of course. It's tough.

Gonna' do some new watches and some re-watches, and for sure will be submitting a ballot before the deadline. Another two things real quick: Firstly thanks to Citizen Rules for hosting and his awesome enthusiasm for the genre which makes it possible.

Secondly a film recommendation from me: It may have been mentioned before somewhere but Force of Evil (1948) is really a gem of the genre worth checking out if you haven't seen it previously.

I probably should prioritize a rewatch of Set-Up. I watched it quite a few years ago now and wasn’t very impressed. It seems to have made an impact on most others around here though, and I love boxing movies. So another watch is in orde.

Big fan of The Set-Up. The way I got to see so many great noir films in a relatively short time was through my national broadcaster: The ABC (Australian actually). They used to run old b&w films as filler during the middle of the night and I used to tape these. They had packages of mainly RKO and Rank Organisation stuff, which probably explains why I have such a liking for these particular brands - love RKO noir! After that I then discovered YouTube and something else similar that probably can't be mentioned and have since been living in movie utopia.
Ahh, the good ole days of VCR taping I use to do that too but not with movies. Sadly I didn't even know noir existed back then. But that sounded like a great wealth of films for you to experience.

I've made some preliminary research into what I've seen - about 200 films that qualify as noir - and half of which I can't fully remember! Looking through the posts of other members this seems to be a common issue with many of the themes, plots and titles becoming blurred in memory. Additionally, as many others have alluded to it really is difficult to define the genre, because you really have to define it for yourself, within the rules of the countdown of course. It's tough.
I can't remember anything I've seen, noir or not. I guess I watch so many movies and have only so much ram memory capacity available in my brain Which is OK because I never run out of movies to watch that way.

Gonna' do some new watches and some re-watches, and for sure will be submitting a ballot before the deadline. Another two things real quick: Firstly thanks to Citizen Rules for hosting and his awesome enthusiasm for the genre which makes it possible.
You're welcome! And I look forward to your ballot and to your comments when the noir countdown starts.

Secondly a film recommendation from me: It may have been mentioned before somewhere but Force of Evil (1948) is really a gem of the genre worth checking out if you haven't seen it previously.[/quote]I'll squeeze that in before the countdown deadline, I do already have a copy and I just checked. Thanks for the recommendation.

I too love RKO. That studio made more noirs than any other studio, most of them classics.

If you're interested there's a book called The RKO Story (1985) that lists and summarizes every one of RKO's 1051 movies from their start in 1930 to their demise in 1960. Here's what it looks like:
https://www.amazon.com/RKO-Story-Ric...s%2C187&sr=1-3

You can get it there used for about $10, and you can get it on AbeBooks.com for $7-$8. Hardbound.

I've spent many hours looking at their summaries, including all the production people. It's a nice reference to have.

I too love RKO. That studio made more noirs than any other studio, most of them classics.

If you're interested there's a book called The RKO Story (1985) that lists and summarizes every one of RKO's 1051 movies from their start in 1930 to their demise in 1960. Here's what it looks like:
https://www.amazon.com/RKO-Story-Ric...s%2C187&sr=1-3

You can get it there used for about $10, and you can get it on AbeBooks.com for $7-$8. Hardbound.

I've spent many hours looking at their summaries, including all the production people. It's a nice reference to have.
Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah that does look like something I'm interested in and may well pick up a copy. That's an impressive number of films that they made over a relatively short time. It really was the golden age.

Suddenly (1954)

This was a shocker. I can't believe they made this film in the 1950s. They probably should've made the film at all. In the movie the President is traveling by train and disembarking in the small Californian town of Suddenly. The Secret Service has gotten a tip that an assassination attempt will be made in the town. They seal off the businesses by the train station but high on top of a hill is a house with a clear view of the railroad yard and the President down below.

It's rumored that Lee Harvey Oswald watched this film. I wouldn't be surprised that he did because the assassination of JFK by Oswald was literally a copy of what happens in the movie. In the movie an unhinged ex army man (Frank Sinatra) finds a high elevated spot as his shooting base. He uses a German rifle with a scope and builds a gun rest so that he has a stable shot. Sinatra even states he only has 3 seconds to get the shots off. Just as eerie is Sinatra ranting about how he's a nobody but a gun gives him respect and he'll be remembered for years because he killed the president.

I like the movie, Sinatra was excellent in his role and convincing. He delivered his lines with real convection and the film's pacing was perfect.

Force Of Evil (1948)

'An unethical lawyer who wants to help his older brother becomes a partner with a client in the numbers racket.'

So many great shots in the movie that I have to compliment the cinematographer and the director too. It really looks good with an abundances of stunning shots. We see the city, we see the waterfront, we see unique camera angles all done nicely.

It's an interesting story too about the 'numbers racket' which must have been a thing back in the day. At the same time it juxtaposes the ethics of 'honest' petty criminals against violent gangster criminals. I wasn't always sure what the film was trying to say but it's an interesting conundrum. John Garfield slid into the educated lawyer role with ease. He was quit good, as was the actor who played his honest but petty criminal brother, Thomas Gomez. I did feel like the story and ethics weren't fleshed out enough which is probably due to the 79 minute runtime. There's a lot of movie packed into those 79 minutes and this is one movie that would benefit from a rewatch.