Godless Americans March on Washington

Tools    

I will admit, the way we are raised is a great factor in our morals, and think about what the constitution is made up primarily of, Christian values, if we were all born into a world of hate and violence and destruction naturally we would tend to have destructive built up into our system. I do not believe morals were ORIGINALLY instinct, but they are now, i think originally God taught people the ways through his prophets and the bible OR we simply followed what everyone else was doing. Everyone has some Christian morals taught to them, whether they follow the religion or not, for example the law says you cant kill the bible says thou shalt not kill, but should there be no law and no expectations of society than how many more people would be killed? i dont even know whether what im writing has a point and im going to stop right here

Originally posted by firegod

Neither am I, but I can't possibly have any humility, just because I'm an atheist... Let me clue you in on something. Being an atheist simply means you have no belief in any deities. It doesn't mean you claim to know that there are no gods. If you don't have a belief in a god, then you are an atheist just like me whether you want to be or not. Don't like that? Tough.
Ugh, oh well...I guess it's my turn to offend someone. I think agnostics prove to be more open minded about other possibilities than athiests. To know unequivocally that there is no God is arrogant in my opinion, but maybe it is more like a reversal of faith. But by my own words I have proven my own arrogance. I apoligize.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Why bother, religion, creed doesnt effect how open minded you are, YOU DO. if you choose not to accept something than You are choosing to close off your mind, im a witch, it doesnt stop me from accepting god, or believing that other possibilities are out there. So as far as open mindness goes, PERSONAL not RELIGION nor MORAL!! well thats just what i believe.

No prob. But being atheist does not mean you necessarily think you know unequivocally that there is no god. It simply means you don't have a belief that there is one.

Originally posted by firegod
No prob. But being atheist does not mean you necessarily think you know unequivocally that there is no god. It simply means you don't have a belief that there is one.
Not quite. If that were true, "Agnostic" and "Atheist" would be damn near synonyms. Atheists have made a choice: no God. This is not the same as saying none can exist...or that it's impossible for God to exist...but they've chosen a side, just as Believers have.

Agnostics tend to take the "we can't possibly know one way or another" road. Either that or "I can't decide."

The thing about Agnosticism in the most common sense (the kind that says we cannot know either way) is that it says something about God if He exists; it says that He didn't make sure, for whatever reason, that we had enough information to decide, reasonably. So in that sense, it rules out certain ideas about God, without ruling God out altogether.

As for arrogance: I think saying that you can't know either way can easily be construed as somewhat arrogant. For one, it says that everyone who has decided is basing their decisions on inadequate evidence. For another, it's assuming that they've basically heard everything they need to. After all, there's a difference between "you can't tell" and "I, personally, cannot tell based on what I know right now." Many Agnostics take the first route.

The first route is a statement about the Universe. The second, however...the statement that you (meaning an Agnostic) cannot decide, personally, right now...that's a statement about the speaker, instead.

Anyway, the alternatives to God are such a long-shot (emotionally AND logically) that I think the issue is a moot point anyway.

I'm getting tired, so I'll tackle you tomorrow, Yoda. However, I will say that the "a" means without and the "theist" means someone who believes in a god or gods. An atheist simply does not have a blief in a god. An atheist who claims that there are definately no gods is called a strong atheist.

Originally posted by Yoda
As for arrogance: I think saying that you can't know either way can easily be construed as somewhat arrogant.
I agree, that's why I mentioned my own arrogance by making that statement.