Unitarian Universalist
22.83%
29 votes
Other
40.94%
52 votes
None
127 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Well, I don't think Ms. Kenobi is particularly fond of lung cancer. I'm not fond of diabetes, but I sure love ice cream. My philosophy is that if they know the risks involved and they still wanna go for it, that's their right. The only people I'd say anything to are the ones who may not know what they're getting into.

crazed out movie freak
well put i gree with ya youse i am just havin a little fun

you go ahead and smoke if lung cancer is your thing.
Well, sh*t. You mean cigarettes actually cause cancer?

Those misrepresentin' bastards. On my pack of Camel Turkish Gold it says clearly, "Partaking of these fragrant delights could result in unicorns and daisies."

Swear. Unicorns and daisies.

I'm throwing 'em all away, right now, including the loose tobacco that I eat straight from the bag.

Man, I gotta stop reading your f*cking posts... I'm going to break a rib or something.

I'm agnostic.

crazed out movie freak
eww. that is some nasy stuff

p.s. smart a$$

Well, it's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it. How else are the bigwigs at Phillip Morris gonna stay in caviar and silk sheets? I ask you, how?

crazed out movie freak
i thought the line was fagnostic
" my dad says your fagnostic"

crazed out movie freak
fire why u startin again

Perhaps we should refer to the immortal words of Edie Brickell:

"Religion is a smile on a dog."

But she's not aware of too many things...

Because this is a thread about what our religions (or lack thereof) are. It might bother you, but I doubt it bothers Sullivan. If it bothers you, WHY READ THE THREAD?

Yes, I would say I have no religion. That's the literal truth, given my definition of religion.

I would not say, however, that I have no faith, nor would I say I have no spirituality.

Originally posted by Sullivan
I would not say, however, that I have no faith, nor would I say I have no spirituality.
I find that to be the case with most agnostics. I, however, have no faith and no spirituality. Some would say I do, but I think they are mistaken.

Well, perhaps you're a pragmatist.

So why study religion if you have none, and furthermore have no faith and no spirituality?

My experience with religion as an institution is that it acts as a kind of buffer between the believer and the world. Maybe I'm speaking mainly of Christians when I say this, especially those who are born-again hard. It takes a certain amount of responsibility out of their hands, almost like a parent-child relationship.

More importantly, I'd ask why he should be concerned with anything other than his own comfort and survival.

My experience with religion as an institution is that it acts as a kind of buffer between the believer and the world. Maybe I'm speaking mainly of Christians when I say this, especially those who are born-again hard. It takes a certain amount of responsibility out of their hands, almost like a parent-child relationship.
Yes, and no. In one sense, you're right...but a person who has absolute morals to live by is being given MORE responsibility, not less. A person who doesn't believe in any purpose or meaning or any REAL right and wrong has much less responsibility than someone who not only believes in such things, but believes it is their duty to follow those rules to the letter.

I would say that you don't have to belong to a religon to study it--it's a cultural phenomenon, and a damn interesting one at that. Do you have to believe in the truth of something in order to study it?

Originally posted by Mary Loquacious
Yes, it can function in this way. The question then becomes whether it always functions this way, or even does so in the majority of cases, and how we distinguish this sort of agency of religion from a more authentic agency.

More importantly, I'd ask why he should be concerned with anything other than his own comfort and survival.
Pure curiosity?

Originally posted by Yoda
Yes, and no. In one sense, you're right...but a person who has absolute morals to live by is being given MORE responsibility, not less. A person who doesn't believe in any purpose or meaning or any REAL right and wrong has much less responsibility than someone who not only believes in such things, but believes it is their duty to follow those rules to the letter.
I see what you mean, and for a less hard-core religious person, that's absolutely valid. But if you believe that God chooses for you, and I know many that do, then where is the control over your own life?