Favorite war movies

Tools    

It's difficult to say what's a war film and what's a film that simply uses war as a setting such as Casablanca, but I'm going to post this anyway to see what you guys think seeing as none of you have mentioned it and all the other ones I would have posted have already been mentioned:

Pan's Labyrinth

Whilst you wouldn't label it a pure War film and usual class it as as a Drama/Fantasy it takes place during the Spanish Civil War and a lot of the film actually focusses on the harsh fascist regime employed at the time and the conflict that takes place between a ruthless general and the rebels his forces are fighting in the forests.

I'm undecided between Full Metal Jacket and Downfall, but since I've always had an interest in The Third Reich's history I'm going with the latter. I thought Bruno Ganz was memorizing in portraying Hitler's descent into madness (or even more so) over the chilling last ten days prior his death. I admired the brave film making behind the Austrian/German production and unlike many German WW2 movies, it seemed to have no qualms in humanizing Nazi party members, and most importantly the film is factual to the point where the bunker was replicated from the blue prints of the real thing. Its authentic, and despite the amusing parodies of the film on Youtube, the movie in its entirety is one of the most haunting, realistic and intimate depictions of evil to ever grace cinema.

battle losangels

battle losangels
Terrible film IMO. Anyways, I am all about war films. I dont necessarily think that films should be considered war films because of a war itself, but also on the aftermath. Views and emotions expressed, or even similarities to actual wars (Starship Troopers, Aliens).

I am going to mention some films that I have not really seen mentioned.

Beneath Hill 60
Combat Shock
Big Wars(Animated)
Private( Palestinian film)
Septem8er Tapes
Anderson Platoon
Mi Mejor Enemigo (my best enemy)

I am actually also surprised. I havent really seen any mention of the awesome tv show Combat!!

A Few Good Men
Band Of Brothers
Hiroshima (Version with Wesley Addy)
Gettysburg
!2 OClock High
Command Decision
Das Boot

Glory
Saving Private Ryan
Hurt Locker

Favorite War Movies:

1. The Battle of Algiers (1966)

A very explicit description of urban guerilla warfare and its consequences. Shot in a vivid documentary style in the streets of Algiers. This is my absolute favorite war movie and a masterpiece.

2. A Man Escaped (1956)

A beautiful filmed Prisoner of War movie based on the memoirs of André Devigny. Its basically about the human will for surviving extreme measures. One of Bressons best movies.

3. The Ascent (1977)

An unusual strong wartime drama from Larisa Shepitko. A real tearjerker.

4. Rome, Open City (1945)

The first part of Roberto Rossellini's "Neo-realist" trilogy. Made shortly after the war, it documents the underground resistance in Rome.

5. Come and See (1985)

Again a very strong Soviet war drama. Roger Ebert describes it very well as "one of the most devastating films ever about anything, and in it, the survivors must envy the dead... The film depicts brutality and is occasionally very realistic, but there's an overlay of muted nightmarish exaggeration"

6. The Thin Red Line (1998)

7. Apocalypse Now (1979)

8. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

9. Triumph des Willens (1935)

10. Ivan's Childhood (1962)

11. Battleship Potemkin (1925)
12. Ran (1985)
13. Kanal (1957)
14. The Human Condition I: No Greater Love (1959)
15. Paths of Glory (1957)
16. The General (1927)
17. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
18. The Great Escape (1963)
19. Diamonds of the Night (1964)
20. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
21. Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
22. The Deer Hunter (1978)
23. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
24. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
25. Fail-Safe (1964)
26. Alexander Nevsky (1938)
27. Ashes and Diamonds (1958)
28. The Dirty Dozen (1967)
29. Lore (2012)
30. Rescue Dawn (2006)
31. The Round-Up (1966)
32. Soldier of Orange (1977)
33. Hotel Rwanda (2004)
34. Spartacus (1960)
35. Armadillo (2010)
36. Das Boot (1981)
37. Downfall (2004)
38. Saving Private Ryan (1998)
39. Schindler's List (1993)
40. Waltz with Bashir (2008)
41. Combat Shock (1986)
42. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
43. The Hurt Locker (2009)
44. A Very Long Engagement (2004)
45. Black Hawk Down (2001)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Check out The Train, The Shop on Main Street, Ballad of a Soldier, Glory and Murphy's War.

Since some great ones were already mentioned here, I'm going to go with a few UNDERRATED gems.

We Were Soldiers is a pure instant classic.

Sands of Iwo Jima

Some of my top war movies that don't count science fiction, fantasy or historical movies in remote times involving warfare:

1. Grave of the Fireflies
+++

Best war movie ever is a cartoon!

2. Apocalypse Now
++

3. Dr. Strangelove
+

4. The Human Condition Trilogy

5. Schindler's List

6. Path's of Glory

7. Downfall
+

8. Full Metal Jacket
+

9. The Pianist

10. The Battle of Algiers

11. Ivan's Childhood
+

12. Saving Private Ryan

13. Letter's From Iwo Jima

The last three were the ones that came to mind. Just for the information who read this list: I hate Come and See. It is trash.

Pan's Labyrinth

Whilst you wouldn't label it a pure War film and usual class it as as a Drama/Fantasy it takes place during the Spanish Civil War and a lot of the film actually focusses on the harsh fascist regime employed at the time and the conflict that takes place between a ruthless general and the rebels his forces are fighting in the forests.
It is not a war film. For me a film of the genre "war film" must satisfy the following criteria: Must be a movie about a historical war that featured people wearing helmets and shooting stuff with rifles. And Pan's Labyrinth takes place in Spain five years after the Civil War not during it.

Anyway, it is also not good enough IMO to feature into a top war films list.

Miracle at St Anna

For me a film of the genre "war film" must satisfy the following criteria: Must be a movie about a historical war that featured people wearing helmets and shooting stuff with rifles.
How have I only just seen this gem

Out of all of those I have to stay with Full Metal Jacket - My Fav.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Some more I wanted to add to the list above:

Just watched this movie last night and thought it was great, I would never have seen this probably if you hadn't posted it so thanks for doing that.