ScarletLion's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I don't think I've ever seen so many Dutch angles in one film
Well, you clearly haven't seen Carmen Falls in Love (me neither ).
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Some great films there Scarlet! Particularly glad you loved Come and See. It really is a masterpiece. Regarding Infinity Chamber, is it like Primer? Really didn't like that.
It's not like Primer really. It's more like 'Cube' - if you've seen that. Low budget mystery sci-fi in the mould of a feature length Black Mirror episode. It's worth a shot but won't trouble your top 10 list.

Might watch Tully tonight based on your recommendation.
I hope you like it now I've built it up!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Ha, I just searched for that online and even the front cover is shot at an angle!
Supposedly every shot is a dutch angle. Its director is fond of visual shenanigans like this. In She Was Like a Wild Chrysanthemum he frames shots in ellipses. In The River Fuefuki he uses multi-colored splashes on black and white footage. In Let's Toast the Young Lady... he does nothing special. But it's a film starring Setsuko Hara, and the main idea revolves about a guy not sure whether he should marry her. That alone is weird enough.

Unregistered User
It's not like Primer really. It's more like 'Cube' - if you've seen that. Low budget mystery sci-fi in the mould of a feature length Black Mirror episode. It's worth a shot but won't trouble your top 10 list.

I hope you like it now I've built it up!

Yeah, I really liked Cube, good to hear.

Supposedly every shot is a dutch angle. Its director is fond of visual shenanigans like this. In She Was Like a Wild Chrysanthemum he frames shots in ellipses. In The River Fuefuki he uses multi-colored splashes on black and white footage. In Let's Toast the Young Lady... he does nothing special. But it's a film starring Setsuko Hara, and the main idea revolves about a guy not sure whether he should marry her. That alone is weird enough.
Nice. Thanks for bringing all this to my attention!

'Apostasy' (2018)

British drama focused on a family of Jehovah's Witnesses. Powerful, emotional film with a stirring performance from Sacha Parkinson. The viewer has to take director Daniel Kokotajlo's account of the religion as an accurate take, and it doesn't really paint it in a positive light, but it packs a punch.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I barely remember what about is On body and soul. Contrary to you I was realy disapointed. I couldn't wait till the end. I agree with you in one, it's definitelly not a movie for vegeterians
Dolan... Another great movie. I love this golden boy!
Harry and Tonto to rewatch! Check!

'Apostasy' (2018)

British drama focused on a family of Jehovah's Witnesses. Powerful, emotional film with a stirring performance from Sacha Parkinson. The viewer has to take director Daniel Kokotajlo's account of the religion as an accurate take, and it doesn't really paint it in a positive light, but it packs a punch.

Never heard of it, but color me intrigued. I always like coming to these threads and discovering new films.

'Oslo, 31 August' (2011)

Joachim Trier manages to capture a hauntingly real, melancholic look at a day in the life of an addict. It's a superb film. Echoes of' Lilyah-4-ever' and 'Heaven knows what'. The hopelessness of Anders' character flaws are really conveyed brilliantly by Trier. It's fairly bleak but has real staying power.

'The Endless' (2017)

Directed by Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead. I've seen their other film 'Spring', which I rather enjoyed but after watching The Endless, I now need to see 2012's 'Resolution' which is apparently heavily linked. The Endless focuses on two brothers (the Directors) that are trying to make their way in the world after leaving a cult 10 years earlier. They are tempted to revisit the said cult, and from there, things take twists and turns and make the viewer question most of the things they are seeing on the screen. This will require repeat viewings, as it is a true mindbender of a movie. That may put some people off, but it is worth it. I found myself wanting to know answers, wanting to watch Resolution, and wanting to think about the plot of the movie more. It's a very intriguing concept in that sense. There are a few little flaws and possible holes in the way it's delivered, but most mindbending movies have those. Very much worth a shot.

'Oslo, 31 August' (2011)

Joachim Trier manages to capture a hauntingly real, melancholic look at a day in the life of an addict. It's a superb film. Echoes of' Lilyah-4-ever' and 'Heaven knows what'. The hopelessness of Anders' character flaws are really conveyed brilliantly by Trier. It's fairly bleak but has real staying power.

I love this movie. For couple years it was my fav one film. As you said, it has staying power. I was crushed a little bit when I saw it for the first time, but not only in negative way. This movie was not easy for me.

I love this movie. For couple years it was my fav one film. As you said, it has staying power. I was crushed a little bit when I saw it for the first time, but only negative way. This movie was not easy for me.
It's really great. Still thinking about it to be honest.

'Journeyman' (2018)

Paddy Considine's 'Journeyman' doesn't quite hit the heights of 'Tyrannosaur', but it is incredibly emotional and gutpunching. Considine plays Matty, an ageing boxer but it's Jodie Whittaker who steals the show as Considine's wife. Considine is satisfactory, but doesn't quite nail the role and the film does trundle rather than sprint in the last half hour. It's still a raw, honest story.

6.5/10

'Night Comes On' (2018)

Solid, well written drama about a troubled teen newly released from a detention centre with a few big decisions to make. It's slightly choreographed in places but the central performance from Dominique Fishback as 'Angel' is very strong.

'Gleason' (2016)

I started crying at around the 12 minute mark. And finished about 10 minutes after the credits rolled. One of the most emotional, inspiring, raw and honest documentaries I've ever seen. Former NFL Linebacker Steve Gleason is diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease and decides to make a video blog about his experience. Tissues required.

'The Party' (2017)

Looked lovely. Performances fine. Funny in places. But I don't really know if it was a satire mocking the state of UK politics or a straight up chamber piece with a less than average twist at the end. Maybe both, but it didn't quite pull either off.

I agree that The Party isn't outstanding, but it's very good IMO, so I rate it higher than you. I saw in it a satire, not only about UK politic, but also nowadays feminism, telationships, attitiude to a career amd so on...

I agree that The Party isn't outstanding, but it's very good IMO, so I rate it higher than you. I saw in it a satire, not only about UK politic, but also nowadays feminism, telationships, attitiude to a career amd so on...
Yeah, I picked up on all those - I just thought it would entertain me alot more than it did. It felt like a play that was needlessly adapted into a film.

Yeah, I picked up on all those - I just thought it would entertain me alot more than it did. It felt like a play that was needlessly adapted into a film.
Yeah, thats true. It remainded me of a play a lot.