Donald Sterling, Racist Jew

Tools    

Originally Posted by KnicksRIP
And to think how many Jewish visitors you might lose as potential posters and members by letting this guy keep posting his wretched, anti-intellectualism here. Kind of sad, really. But, hey, maybe you don't want more members, posters, or visitors.
I assume you missed this:

Originally Posted by Yoda
Purandara has been banned.

I'm all for open discussion in general (that typically involves SENSIBLE people, however, not spiteful attention-getters who wield conspiracy theories like they were the Bible), but on any other forum I've ever visited (much less a forum about movies), this would have been deleted and sent straight to some neo-nazi angst website where it belongs. The more you humor this garbage, the more you're just letting it grow. Discussing Sterling as a bad owner? Great. Discussing the wretchedness of racism? More power to you. Owing his poor traits and the idea that the world could cover up such evil (despite the fact that we are actually sitting here talking about it... meaning the world must have done a pretty bad job) to the fact that he is this or that? Hate-speech.

And to think how many Jewish visitors you might lose as potential posters and members by letting this guy keep posting his wretched, anti-intellectualism here. Kind of sad, really. But, hey, maybe you don't want more members, posters, or visitors.

This is from the rules read upon registration, to which one must consent:

The above antisemite has made it quite clear of hateful meaning in numerous threads now, particularly with the comment that Jews "have what's coming to them," which can also be deemed threatening.

Of course, I'm not a mod. I'm just a poster who is going on hiatus.

It is now obvious that you only read what you want to read, seeing as how you completely missed the fact that he was banned by Yoda. In the future I'll make sure to remember that you skim to the posts you are interested in, instead of keeping up with the thread and its context.

www.forumninja.com
I assume you missed this:
My sincere apologies. By reading the first few and last few posts, I did indeed miss your post declaring him banned. Not sure why I'd "want" to miss such at thing, as Equilibrium suggests, since it renders my post inappropriate in this instance, but I am just as satisfied that I posted my disgust at the matter. My error notwithstanding, the craven thing to do would have been to ignore this debacle.

Equilibrium would be wise to take heed at where such baseless hatred leads another. I have disagreed with him SEVERELY in the Middle East thread, but I would also never say that he acted against the rules of the forum in this manner... well, at least not so blatantly. But we can always read between the lines, being the "selective" readers that we are.

In any case, again, my apologies. I am glad that this was dealt with, but I am sad to see that any *latent* support, no matter its disguise, remains for Purandara's venom. Thank you, Yoda, for your quick response and for your observations in this matter.

My sincere apologies. By reading the first few and last few posts, I did indeed miss your post declaring him banned. Not sure why I'd "want" to miss such at thing, as Equilibrium suggests, since it renders my post inappropriate in this instance, but I am just as satisfied that I posted my disgust at the matter. My error notwithstanding, the craven thing to do would have been to ignore this debacle.

Equilibrium would be wise to take heed at where such baseless hatred leads another. I have disagreed with him SEVERELY in the Middle East thread, but I would also never say that he acted against the rules of the forum in this manner... well, at least not so blatantly. But we can always read between the lines, being the "selective" readers that we are.

In any case, again, my apologies. I am glad that this was dealt with, but I am sad to see that any *latent* support, no matter its disguise, remains for Purandara's venom. Thank you, Yoda, for your quick response and for your observations in this matter.
No problem. Thank you.

Regarding latent support, though...it's a tricky situation. It's hard to know who's expressing reasoned disagreement, and who's expressing hatred disguised as reasoned disagreement. In Purandara's case, it was clearly (and unfortunately) the latter. I think in Equilibrium's case, it's the former, granted with plenty of forceful emotions mixed in.

A fine line, maybe, but that's where I've chosen to draw it. I will say, though, that issues as heated as this make me wonder if there's some value in restricting certain topics altogether, as they never seem to remain entirely civil. And yes, that's certainly an invitation for anyone else to express their thoughts at the notion.

this makes me wonder if there's some value in restricting certain topics altogether, as they never seem to remain entirely civil. And yes, that's certainly an invitation for anyone else to express their thoughts at the notion.
Respect is all that is needed for any debate or conversation to be fruitful and informative and the topic should not matter.

I will say, though, that issues as heated as this make me wonder if there's some value in restricting certain topics altogether, as they never seem to remain entirely civil. And yes, that's certainly an invitation for anyone else to express their thoughts at the notion.
please don't....i think all the regular posters have learned to keep even the touchiest of subjects civil...P. was an exception...

I'm not seriously contemplating it. I'm just throwing the idea out there. There are undeniable positives; we avoid these sorts of incidents, however rare they might already be, and we turn the focus more towards film, which is always a good thing. Of course, it's also a fairly sweeping restriction, which makes it bad in and of itself.

I've seen forums which don't allow debate of any kind on politics or religion, and they run fine, so it's not as absurd as it might sound at first. Still, it would be a dramatic change, so I don't think I'd ever do such a thing unless a) there was widespread popular support for it, b) debates were routinely getting out of hand, and/or c) the forum had devolved to the point at which we were hardly discussing cinema at all.