The Top 5 Oscar travesties of all time

Tools    

history *is* moralizing

Welcome to the human race...
Well, after 4 pages of art discussion, I want to get back on track here...

Five Oscar travesties I reckon exist are...

Traffic getting 4 Oscars and City of God getting none.

Frances McDormand winning Best Actress for Fargo.

Kubrick never won a Director oscar.

Sunset Boulevard only won 3 Oscars.

Raiders of the Lost Ark never won Best Picture.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
Frances McDormand winning Best Actress for Fargo.
I thought she was great in Fargo and deserved the oscar

Welcome to the human race...
That's not a bad idea, that would eliminate 10 possibilities down to 5 highly likely ones.

Same with the supporting category.

I have one problem...say I don't know anything about acting or whatever, but Johhny Depp not winning best actor for Pirates.

It was just a purely entertaining experience to watch him bumble around like a drunk fool for two hours...to me that's what acting is about...connecting with the audience. Some make you cry, some make you laugh...both are emotions that deserve to be noticed...people gotta stop being so prejudiced towards comedic performances.

And Andy Serkis should have gotten a best supportin actor nom...who cares that he was half CGI, he was great!

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Originally Posted by Austruck
But seriously, folks, of the five nominees, the only one I didn't like *better* than TITANIC was L.A. CONFIDENTIAL, which just didn't do anything for me. I watch AS GOOD AS IT GETS every time it's on TV. I thought THE FULL MONTY was an almost comical entry to have, but it had a poignant truthfulness to it that I found fun and endearing. Real humor, not witticisms and goofiness.

GOOD WILL HUNTING is another one we seem to watch every time it comes up on the TV Guide.

But TITANIC? No, I avoid watching that more than few times I did sit through it. I don't even think it's a good LOVE story, let alone good history. It's just too ... obvious.
The worst movie of the 5 nominated in 98 was Titanic.

It surprises me that you liked it more than L.A. Confidential which I thought should've won the Oscar.

L.A. Confidential was a brilliantly crafted script to where every single last thing that happened in the movie had a purpose.

I've never seen a movie like L.A. Confidential where if you miss 5 minutes of it, you are screwed. There is no way you'll be able to catch up on what's going on in the movie.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Holden Pike told me to rewatch LA Confidential, so I will have to make the time and do just that. I think it's precisely what you mentioned that kinda just didn't do it for me: Every little thing seemed to have a purpose. To me that makes it so unrealistic that it goes beyond stylized. And yet it didn't seem cartoonish or comic-book-like either.

Can't place my finger on what *didn't* grab me about LA Confidential, but perhaps a better, second viewing will change my opinion. I'll see if I can get around to it in the coming week. All you people can't be wrong, right?

www.forumninja.com
1. Greatest Show on Earth
2. Crash
3. Around the World in 80 Days
4. Titanic
5. Braveheart

5. 2000 Gladiator recieving the Best Picture Award instead of Traffic
4. 1997 Titanic recieving the Best Picture Award instead of Good Will Hunting
3. 2002 Chicago recieving the Best Picture Award instead of The Pianist
2. 1989 Driving Miss Daisy recieving The Best Picture Award instead of Dead Poets Society
1. 1962 Lawrence Of Arabia recieving the Best Picture Award instead of To Kill A Mockingbird

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Originally Posted by Purple_Panther
5. 2000 Gladiator recieving the Best Picture Award instead of Traffic
4. 1997 Titanic recieving the Best Picture Award instead of Good Will Hunting
3. 2002 Chicago recieving the Best Picture Award instead of The Pianist
2. 1989 Driving Miss Daisy recieving The Best Picture Award instead of Dead Poets Society
1. 1962 Lawrence Of Arabia recieving the Best Picture Award instead of To Kill A Mockingbird
Are those numbered in order of importance? If so, how can you go wrong picking either Lawrence of Arabia or To Kill A Mockingbird? I wouldn't think that would be number 1 considering how great both movies are.

I still say that the biggest Oscar rip off of all time was Ed Norton losing out on Best Actor in 1999 for American History X. That may be the greatest acting performance of all time.

I agree both films(Lawrence of Arabia & To Kill A Mockingbird are great, but TKAM has a special place in my heart as my all time favorite classic & nothing beats it out in my heart.

www.forumninja.com
Originally Posted by BobbyB
That may be the greatest acting performance of all time.
Oi vey.

I think Chicago and Pianist are also both great films (so was The Two Towers, actually), but I agree that The Pianist should have won. Ditto for Traffic (not much of a Gladiator fan).

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Originally Posted by KnicksRIP
Oi vey.
"Oi vey" nothing! Ed Norton was effin brilliant in that movie. Say what you want about the movie, but Norton was absolutely incredible in that film.

www.forumninja.com
I think he's good in just about everything. It wasn't a standout performance for me like Primal Fear was. But I know I must be in the minority because he was nominated and such.

Wuv,tru wuv will forrow you forevah
The Pianist should have definetly beat out Chicago

www.forumninja.com
I think IMDB recently had a poll asking which of the last 10 best picture wins was LEAST deserved. Titanic came out on top, followed by Chicago (which surprised me... I agree that the Pianist should have won, but I felt that Chicago was a fine movie). I was also surprised by how low on the list Gladiator was.

Originally Posted by KnicksRIP
I think IMDB recently had a poll asking which of the last 10 best picture wins was LEAST deserved. Titanic came out on top, followed by Chicago (which surprised me... I agree that the Pianist should have won, but I felt that Chicago was a fine movie). I was also surprised by how low on the list Gladiator was.
Considering the IMDb usership that would have mostly voted in the poll, I'm not at all surprised Gladiator finished further down the list.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra