The Most Reliable Tearjerkers

Tools    

• Anthony Minghella's Truly, Madly, Deeply (1991) for romance
  • Lars Von Trier's Dancer in the Dark (2000) for melodrama
  • Savannah Smiles (1982) for a kiddie flick
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It's wonderful to cry at a movie, isn't it? I always feel like I've been cleansed somehow when I do.
  • Braveheart
    Several times...but especially Gibson's line (yelled) at the end.
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
    Mostly Frodo and Sam in the boat at the end, embracing.
  • The Patriot
    Too many to count.
  • Saving Private Ryan
    "Tell me I've been a good man."
  • Forrest Gump
    So many times. Primarily when he's standing in front of her grave, though.
  • A Simple Plan
    The look on Jacob's face nearing the end of the movie.
I'll probably think of more.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by Yoda
  • Braveheart
    Several times...but especially Gibson's line (yelled) at the end.
  • Forrest Gump
    So many times. Primarily when he's standing in front of her grave, though.
Have to agree on those two.

Have to add in...
  • The Green Mile
    There are plenty of scenes that deserve a tear
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
of course: Braveheart, The Green Mile, and Forrest Gump...

But also,

The Shawshank Redemption
Sophie's Choice
Steel Magnolias
The Yearling

crazed out movie freak
ok this is kinda cheesy, but in Rudy when he finally got accepted to Notre Dame, and also the final scene when they carry him off the field.
umm...more to come later

Requiem for a Dream, all the way.

I show it to my classes every semester (as a film review assignment), and I always cry through the Sara speech to Harry ("It's a reason to get up in the morning") and the entire last fifteen or so minutes. And then I have to get up in front of all of them and talk to them, and I'm all red-eyed and sniffling.

And they're all shell-shocked. I love showing that movie to impressionable youngsters--makes me feel like I'm doing something useful.

crazed out movie freak
pop my brain works again. cool so how bout in What Dreams May Come when he finds out who his kids are in heaven. also when he is attempting to get his wife out of hell. so so sad

You know, I haven't seen What Dreams May Come, mostly because the whole "Robin Williams serious family/tearjerker film" ouvre has been done to death. I like sap as much as the next girl, but that's just a little too much for me.

Thank God for Death to Smootchy and Insomnia. Whether they turn out to be good or not (haven't seen either), at least they're not sappy.

He's a hairy, hairy man, isn't he?

crazed out movie freak
oh you totally got to see that movie. i know robin williams in a serious role not exactly a thing to see, but trust me he plays it well. plus the chick from the hand that rocks the cradle is in it and she plays a really good role. it's a must see in my book

crazed out movie freak
ok got another one.the end of my girl when veta is standing by thomas j. and does that whole lets go play, and where are his glasses speech. man that gets me evey time

Doesn't care for a straight-up masterpiece like Casablanca because he feels it's too "lovey duvy", but frippin' My Girl makes him cry everytime he watches it - implying he's actualy seen it more than once. Oooooh-Kaaaay. I think we can all see where you're coming from now, Raziel.

crazed out movie freak
point taken. yes i guess i am kinda double minded.some movies just appeal to me more then others

Now With Moveable Parts
Thought of one...

Dumbo.
*The scene when the Mommy elephant takes Dumbo in her trunk and cuddles him, oh man...gets me everytime without fail.

Mask
Boys Don't Cry
This Boy's Life
The Color Purple

Shouldn't there be more spoiler tags being used around here?

Or not? Do we just not care anymore? I sure don't... I love spoilers... but some loathe them.

Now With Moveable Parts
What?
If someone doesn't know about the Dumbo scene I'm talkin' about...then their loss.

but yes, I think some of them needed spoiler tags...because I don't want to be subjected to anymore talk about What Dreams May Come. I'm feeling ill.

the only one i cry ever time i see it is requiem for a dream, the others arent as reliable.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me