I Need a Quick Review

→ in
Tools    

And this is my BOOMstick!
Owned.

I have the opputunity to buy one of these on DVD: The Men Who Tread On the Tiger's Tail (1945), One Wonderful Sunday (1947) and Scandal (1950).

I've not seen any of them, so can anyone please tell which one would be the better buy? I'd love to buy all three, but I've already ordered a few other DVDs so I can only afford one. Any help will be appreciated.

Bad Education, anyone? I haven't seen anything by Almodovar and this one's playing at the local cinema.

Originally Posted by Parky
I have the opputunity to buy one of these on DVD: The Men Who Tread On the Tiger's Tail (1945), One Wonderful Sunday (1947) and Scandal [size=1](1950).
Scandal is the only one I've seen and to my mind it is lesser Kurosawa. It's about a contemporary (then) attourney who has to decide between making a dirty living defending scoundrels or risking his career on the ethical choice. A bit heavy on the sentimental side as I recall; worth seeing but I don't recommend buying it unless you really must own everything Kurosawa made.

a disclaimer: my memory is a bit hazy on the cinematic value of the film or I'd comment there too. It's been about 8 years.

Should I see Birth, A Very Long Engagement, or Sideways? Bare in mind that I didn't think Election or About Schmidt were anything special.

A Very Long Engagement. No contest.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
A Very Long Engagement. No contest.
That's what I'm leaning toward.
Have you seen Birth?

Should I watch Hero (Jet Li)? I've had it lingering in my Netflix queue for quite a while now, and just can't build up the excitement to get it shipped.
-Irwin Fletcher

Originally Posted by Garrett
Have you seen Birth?
Yeah Birth is good and interesting, with another very fine performance from Nicole Kidman, but it's not a great movie. A Very Long Engagement is a great movie. Sideways would be disappointing even without all the hype.

See A Very Long Engagement. Really.

Originally Posted by Irwin F. Fletcher
Should I watch Hero (Jet Li)? I've had it lingering in my Netflix queue for quite a while now, and just can't build up the excitement to get it shipped.
As I said in another thread, if you liked Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon a lot, you'll like Hero too. If you couldn't get into Crouching Tiger, don't even bother with Hero (or The House of Flying Daggers) as it's more of the same.

See A Very Long Engagement. Really.
Okay, you got me. I'll see A Very Long Engagement, and see Birth and Sideways at the next opportunity.

Originally Posted by Garrett
Okay, you got me. I'll see A Very Long Engagement, and see Birth and Sideways at the next opportunity.
You can put Birth and Sideways further down the list if you haven't seen Hotel Rwanda yet.

So many good movies, so little time.
A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia (1990)

Any Good?

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

You can put Birth and Sideways further down the list if you haven't seen Hotel Rwanda yet.
Looks like I won't be seeing most of these until they're out on DVD. On the very day I was going to see A Very Long Engagement, they took it out of the theater I was going to. I tried to find it somewhere else with no luck. (I might be able to catch Birth and Hotel Rwanda, I'm getting ready to check)

Originally Posted by uconjack
A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia (1990)

Any Good?
I've only seen a piece of it on TV. It was OK from what I saw, but it ignited no burning desire to track it down any time soon.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Going to see Aviator in a few. Any good?
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Has anyone seen Charles Burnett's Killer of Sheep?

The Quiet American, but both are good. The first version of The Killers starring Burt Lancaster is a better flick than Don Siegel's pass at the material, but it is fun to see Ronnie Regan in his last role playing a bad guy.

But The Quiet American, of those two.

Anyone seen Hitchcock's Number Seventeen and/or The Human Stain?