When did you realize most people don't feel about cinema...

Tools    

I've heard so, so many people on this site say some version of this same thing: I can't find anyone in real life to talk about movies seriously with, they all look at me like I'm crazy when I talk about them as being something more than mere entertainment, etc. I've heard it so many times over the years I've lost count. I think it's the primary thing that motivates people to post on forums like this.
It's that dead and disappointed feeling in their eyes or the non acknowledgement when I put myself out there cinema wise.

I've heard so, so many people on this site say some version of this same thing: I can't find anyone in real life to talk about movies seriously with, they all look at me like I'm crazy when I talk about them as being something more than mere entertainment, etc. I've heard it so many times over the years I've lost count. I think it's the primary thing that motivates people to post on forums like this.
I’ve had friends with whom I have gone to a movie theater who, as soon as we leave the theater, have completely moved on from the movie & have no desire to talk about it. Always found this odd & disappointing.

The family/friend cinephile posse is a great thing to have as a kid. All that great smack-talk, joke-telling, imaginative play, critical thinking, development of relational short-hand, etc. Two obligatory rituals of my youth were intense post-movie conversations and laid-back post nightclub breakfasts/dessert at a late-late night diner.
Very much relate to this too. At least we realise how lucky we are/were.

As to the question of one's SO, that would probably be a good thread prompt. Is it nice to have? Is it almost a necessity? I guess it depends. It's a drag when you want to watch something and your SO doesn't or it they're bored or they don't get it. Maybe when you find someone who vibes with your taste you'll have found more of a keeper.
Might start that thread. I mean, I’m a pathological introvert, so for me the film fandom part is totally and utterly non-negotiable, as it’s one of the few things I can talk about casually. My boyfriend and I initially connected partly over our love for film and music, but now it feels very much like the usual ‘objective achieved, I can relax’ thing. Which I guess is natural, and I guess something is very wrong with me given I have always (from my teens up until now) preferred a good film to sex and conversation and whatnot. He does try, does start watching whatever it is with me, and there is a reasonable degree of crossover in our tastes, but I just don’t trust people enough not to **** up my impressions (hence I went to watch Oppenheimer alone on Friday).

I’d been single for many years as I’m really bad with people, have had health challenges and just find it easier to be alone. So this whole idea of not being alone is new and strange, but when we’re halfway through an episode of Twin Peaks, and he suggests ‘calling it a day’ and going to bed, I as an insomniac and a cinephile just feel this rage. How the **** can you stop something halfway through? And that, jokes aside, is the kind of fundamental misunderstanding that I don’t think is solvable.