Facebook Daily Photo Game

Tools    

Maybe you have some setting thats not allowing it. You can always just check the site every day. I usually post in the morning. It was indeed Dark City yesterday, I made a comment about the face that Jennifer Connely used her own voice while singing in that movie. The movie was haunting and the music was a large part of what made it so memorable. Today's movie was guessed pretty fast already, here is the picture though for those here who want to play along..

It's Gattaca here, too.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

For one thing, if you're going to do this, at least get some video capture software. You are just pulling stuff off the internet, which is fine, but makes it that much easier. If you wanted to use something like Moon, instead of using one of the six or seven stills that were out there for promotion and completely saturate the internet already, at least grab an image from an odd angle, or something that doesn't so clearly show the main actor's faces, instead showcase something memorable (a prop or key plot point) but isn't as obvious as the star of the frippin' movie.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Yeah, these gots-ta-be a bit harder if they're going to be intended for more than very casual filmgoers.
Or at least a happy medium of both easy and hard.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I'm thinking of doing a 3 parter for each movie where i start with a very tough image and if nobody gets it move to a slightly easier photo and then finally one like this moon photo if nobody gets that. I can also then use my own shots instead of googled images then.

It's the problem with movie trivia in general, and why I don't think a TV gameshow that is solely about movie trivia will ever really work (though they keep trying). To make it difficult enough to challenge a hardcore freak like me, it requires that it be so pedantic and specific that anybody who is a more casual fan will be totally bored. If you've never even heard of Akira Kurosawa or Andrei Tarkovsky or whatever and your personal knowledge stops with Michael Bay and mainstream movies made in the past ten years or so, a level of Kurosawa question that will go beyond the titles or basic plot synopsis to truly try and stump a cinema nerd is going to completely repel the fifteen-year-old who is perfectly happy with his own taste. Yet if it is geared to be inclusive so that anybody flipping by can stop and get most of the questions, I can just about guarantee that the percentage of the audience that are freaks like me will not miss a question for months at a time and therefore will also be bored.

It's the genius of "Jeopardy". Whatever the category, be it movies, physics, Civil War history, cooking, geography, song lyrics, or whatever, at most there are only going to be five questions, total, in an episode. So if two are pretty easy, one or two are harder and one is truly in the "expert" level, whether when playing at home you get zero or five of them correct, it's just one category, and there are going to be eleven more categories plus Final Jeopardy.

I think that's a very good idea. Holden's advice is particularly salient; the standard promotional photos are on half of the reviews out there, which makes the task a lot easier. Grabbing your own lets you pick something less obvious.

Agree with all the stuff about movie trivia in general, and it would plague any trivia game based around just one topic, let alone one with such a rich and intricate history.

Moon and Gattaca may be "obscure" if you're asking your Grandmother or the more casual moviegoer who only sees the most mainstream things that are available out there at the multiplex. So if that's the kind of audience you want to attract, and it may well be, keep on keepin' on! But if you want to try and stump the denizens of a website devoted to the love of movies, you're gonna have to dig a lot deeper (and get more challenging stills).

Here is a still from Moon that would stump even quite a few of the people who saw it...

It doesn't show any of the moonbase or moon rover sets, and though it does clearly show two actor's faces very clearly, neither of them is well known. Not that Dominique McElligott doesn't have a fanbase of some kind, I'm sure she does, but clearly she's not as identifiable as Julia Roberts or the like. The scenes in Moon of his wife's recordings from Earth are a crucial plot point, but even somebody who saw the movie multiple times may not recognize this pic out of context.

But that is HARD. Somebody who hasn't ever heard of Moon or is only generally aware of its critical reputation and knows that it stars Sam Rockwell in a 2001: A Space Odyssey-like set will never, ever, ever get it from this.

That's the kind of bastard you have to be if you want to get hardcore cinema freakazoids to play and be challenged. But of course that is instantly repellent to EVERYBODY else, especially if they may not even be able to identify which Julia Roberts movie you give them. So that's what you have to figure out, what kind of game you want. Either have multiple stills per day at varying levels from simple to freakishly difficult or just resign yourself to the fact that you aren't gonna stump anybody here on MovieForums or our ilk. Which is fine.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	MoonGirls.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	6933  

Today I wanted to start off a new puzzle concept for guessing the movie photo. Today's was easily guessed but I purposely did choose an easier one to start off with. If you folks still want to play along and haven't seen the answer on the facebook page yet here is the photo that I started with and ultimately was gotten right away. I will share the full photo soon then.

I have tomorrow's lined up and ready to go and I think its going to be more of a challenge. At least I hope! I'm going to move on now to today's daily movie photo.. I'm going to try it a little different though and use a zoomed in shot then slowly zoom out until somebody gets it. I'm also going to use my own capture so it will be more of a unique selection.

Today's movie photo of the day is zoomed in X3. It was guessed pretty much instantly on facebook by Holden but lets see if any of you will know it.

I can show it at X2 if nobody is able to guess this, although I'm sure someone will.

Here is the full image if you can't figure out what movie it is:
http://www.caption.it/dailymovie/daily1c.jpg

New Movie Puzzler is up on the FB page. I'm still curious if you do know this one Holden I'm just dying to stump you now! Without going overly-obscure of course.

Nick got it right away on the FB game. I'm really impressed anybody got it that quickly with such little information. Anybody here able to get it without finding the answer on FB?