Jean-Pierre Jeunet - Rate and Discuss the Man's Films

Tools    

Photographer
Jean-Pierre Jeunet is one of my favorite directors, even though his filmography is rather small.

Here are the Man's films, ranked and rated:

1. Amelie (****/****)
2. The City of Lost Children (****/****)
3. Delicatessen (***1/2/****)
4. Alien: Resurrection (**1/2/****)

Jeunet's movies have a certain visual pizazz that I haven't found replicated anywhere else. Take any shot of his and you have yourself a work of art.

His stories are perfect companions to his visuals, almost as bizarre as the man himself--from the tale of a post-apocalyptic apartment building with viciously cannibalistic tenants, to the character study of a woman who never really grew out of her five-year-old mannerisms, but is determined to find her place.

Additionally, I've been impressed by Jeunet's use of Dominique Pinon, who's appeared in all of his films (except for Resurrection). He has incredible versatility.

But, I digress.

What do you think of Jean-Pierre Jeunet and his filmography? If you haven't seen any of these, get out and rent them! 1-3 are must-sees, while 4 is a guilty pleasure of mine. (Incidentally, it is the only Alien film I've seen! )

Goose promised to stop messing around. But hoods don't stop, they take a break.

I’ve never seen any of Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s short films, but I have managed to see all of his feature length films. I didn’t particularly care for Alien: Resurrection, but the other three of his I liked quite a bit.

Delicatessen is an exceptional horror film because he follows the example of the brilliant Sam Raimi by making it a dark comedy as well. Another thing that makes this, and most of his films, amazing are his uses of color schemes, quick editing, and surrealistic imaging. Out of the four movies listed, this is my third favorite.

La Cité des enfants perdus (The City of Lost Children) is a brilliant piece of work that seems so much like a Terry Gilliam project, which I assumed that’s who made it until the ending credits. I’ll always have a soft spot for this film. It is my second favorite of his films.

La Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (Amélie) is one of my top ten favorite films of all time. The coinage, “Feel good movie of the year” perfectly fit for this movie. It might be argued that it is the feel good movie of all time. Again Jeunet’s use of color schemes, quick editing, special effects, and close-ups, make this movie not only a delight to look at, but also a literal smorgasbord of the senses. For anybody who has missed this, or decided not to ever see it because of the subtitles, should see it right away. It will charm and enchant.

Jeunet’s newest film due for release later this year is called Un long dimanche de fiançailles (A Very Long Engagement), and is described as, “a very different love story, based on the acclaimed novel by Sebastien Japrisot. The film is set in France near the end of World War I in the deadly trenches of the Somme, in the gilded Parisien halls of power, and in the modest home of an indomitable provincial girl. It tells the story of this young woman's relentless, moving and sometimes comic search for her fiancee, who has disappeared. He is one of five French soldiers believed to have been court-martialed under mysterious circumstances and pushed out of an allied trench into an almost-certain death in no-man's land. What follows is an investigation into the arbitrary nature of secrecy, the absurdity of war, and the enduring passion, intuition and tenacity of the human heart.”

Its cast includes Amélie’s Audrey Tautou and Jodie Foster. It is certainly on my must see list. As far as I’m concerned Jean-Pierre Jeunet is making a name for himself that will be honored and respected for some time to come.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Photographer
Oh, damn, I forgot to mention A Very Long Engagement. It does indeed look fantastic. One of my most anticipated this year.

Do you have any worries about whether Jeunet will work well with such an ordinary story, though? All his others have been fantasy so far.

Oh, and I think it is a bit of stretch to call Delicatessen a Horror film. I'd call it a Dark Comedy, personally. Nothing about it really chilled me to the bone except for maybe the opening scene. So, while it is kind of gruesome and disgusting (though not much is actually shown), I wouldn't put it anywhere near the same category as The Exorcist or Psycho.

Also, are you as irritated as I am that he and Marc Caro haven't worked together since City??? Both it and Delicatessen were brilliant. Their styles of writing/direction fit perfectly...it's depressing to me that they seemingly broke off all ties.

Originally Posted by Ezekiel2517
Oh, damn, I forgot to mention A Very Long Engagement. It does indeed look fantastic. One of my most anticipated this year.

Do you have any worries about whether Jeunet will work well with such an ordinary story, though? All his others have been fantasy so far.

Oh, and I think it is a bit of stretch to call Delicatessen a Horror film. I'd call it a Dark Comedy, personally. Nothing about it really chilled me to the bone except for maybe the opening scene. So, while it is kind of gruesome and disgusting (though not much is actually shown), I wouldn't put it anywhere near the same category as The Exorcist or Psycho.

Also, are you as irritated as I am that he and Marc Caro haven't worked together since City??? Both it and Delicatessen were brilliant. Their styles of writing/direction fit perfectly...it's depressing to me that they seemingly broke off all ties.
I don't have any worries because from what I've read about it, it's supposed to be quite surreal and unique. We'll have to see I suppose, but I have faith in him.

I wouldn't classify it as a standard horror film, but it's subject matter puts it in that category, like Army of Darkness.

I didn't realise that there had been a major collaboration between the two that was broken off. Do you know for a fact that it is over for good between the two?

Photographer
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I didn't realise that there had been a major collaboration between the two that was broken off. Do you know for a fact that it is over for good between the two?
Yeah, man, they co-directed both of those and both say, "Un film de Jeunet et Caro."

I don't know for a fact that it is over for good, but I'm lead to believe that by nearly ten years without a third collaboration.

Ah, actually I knew that I knew that before I forgot that I knew it. Ya' know? I was reading up on it and noticed that they both co-wrote them as well. Caro also had a lot to do with the art and set design as well. He hasn't really done **** since Lost Children, well, nothing big anyway.

It would be cool to see a collaboration again, but it seems Jeunet has more light hearted fair in store for us.

love his work i have seen...
have yet to see amelie though (shame on me!!!)
delicatessan was pretty mind blowing. (as was city of lost children. haha i watched this with my dad a few years ago when he stilled lived us. i don't think he got it.) it is such a strange idea to combine the saw and viola (i'm not sure now if that is what it was..) together musically. has anyone checked out the dvd version of this? i believe it is a french or british import....i only have a pretty unspectacular vhs of it.
it was funny too because i didn't realize that he had done the fourth alien, but i happened to catch it on amc or something and besides having some shared actors it definitely looked like his work.
well that's my thoughts.....

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Jeunet is brilliant, I think. One of the few genuine auteurs working today. I can't believe I've not seen City of the Lost Children yet, and it'll be a long time before I do - the DVD must have gone out of print or something because I can't find it anywhere...