George Lucas' First Movie

→ in
Tools    

BANNED
Before Star Wars, before Raiders of the Lost Ark, before American Grafitti, there was . . . THX 1138.

George Lucas' first movie is a startling vision of a dystopian, Orwellian future--a cold-blooded technocratic society in which the state exercises mind control over its human citizens by means of thought-manipulating drugs and in which all human beings are slaves to the soulless, inhuman, mechanistic social order. A scary and thought-provoking movie, I think it presents a remarkable sequence of startling visions of a world in which soulless, cold-blooded technology controls and intrudes upon human lives to such an inordinate degree as to completely crush the human spirit--a world in which individuality, identity, passion and emotion are crushed by an inhuman state.

Especially scary and fascinating is a sequence in which the hero, Robert Duvall, finds himself in some sort of test-lab environment and discovers he has no will of his own--that his autonomic functions have been taken over by scientists cold-bloodedly experimenting on him from a distance--pushing buttons and dispassionately conversing about him while his body twists and contorts to various positions against his own will, in obedience to the electronic signals dispatched from the control panel.

Also scary is the Orwellian depiction of the state's intervention into romance and love--how the forbidden romance between Duvall and his girlfriend is ruthlessly crushed by state regulation and how Duvall finds himself running from the law because he has violated state sanctions against passionate romance and eroticism. Rather than submit to the state-regulated breeding program, Duvall flees, finally emerging from the subterranean technological nightmare that is his world, to confront the setting sun.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Coolness. I haven't seen this yet.....but it has always looked good. I'll watch this when I watch Logan's Run. For some reason it always seemed like they should be watched close to each other.

Do you know my poetry?
I saw half of this movie on cable it freaked me out, I thought it was good but a scary vision of the future as told by lucas.

BANNED
It's definitely worth watching, esp. to see where his later stuff came from.

BANNED
Apparently, Lucas based this movie on his own film-school project.

I knew that one.

BANNED
I'd say it was a pretty mature, insightful, thoughtful and intense film school project!

Chalk me up as a huge fan of THX 1138. Liek a cross between 1984 and Logans Run this film is full of original ideas and enthralling visual design.

Robert Duvall is brilliantly understated and well supported by all involved. Donald Pleasance is always a treat to watch at work. Lalo Schiffrin's minimilistic score supports the moody atmosphere accomplished through the cinematography.

The script too, IMO is quite a polished effort creating textured charecters and raising interesting questions. Well worth a look this film is a unique vision by a director who has since become a cinematic legend.

Originally Posted by Django
I'd say it was a pretty mature, insightful, thoughtful and intense film school project!
Have you seen the school project or are you just judging by the real deal? (Just wondering, not passing judgement)

BANNED
Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
Have you seen the school project or are you just judging by the real deal? (Just wondering, not passing judgement)
No, I haven't seen the original project, but judging from the final movie, it must have been a pretty slick piece of work!

BANNED
I wouldn't know, but I'm sure it must be! Check the DVD stores. Also check your public library for the VHS and/or the DVD.

BANNED
It may not have been released on DVD at all!

THX-1138 is not available on DVD yet.

It should really only be seen letterboxed, as it was shot in full 2.35:1 widescreen, and the visual compositions are some of the best things to recommend about the flick.

The old LaserDisc is letterboxed. So nanny-nanny boo-boo.

For anyone interested in seeing the fifteen-minute THX short Lucas did as a student, it is available on DVD, as part of the Short Cinema Journal series. It's disc number ten, "Chaos", which was originally released in November of 2000 here in R1.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
THX-1138 is not available on DVD yet.

It should really only be seen letterboxed, as it was shot in full 2.35:1 widescreen, and the visual compositions are some of the best things to recommend about the flick.

The old LaserDisc is letterboxed. So nanny-nanny boo-boo.

The DVD-R is 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, and its picture and sound is crystal clear. Both of quality and sound, and 5.1 surround sound.

So,