2014 MoFo FBB Trading Block

Tools    

I don't think there's a lot of point in me explaining why I think it's lopsided, because we're using entirely different methods of evaluation.

I don't think any argument based on a week's data has any merit at all, really, but that's the kind of thing you like to base a lot of conclusions on. As long as that's true, we'll simply be at an impasse.

I don't think there's a lot of point in me explaining why I think it's lopsided, because we're using entirely different methods of evaluation.

I don't think any argument based on a week's data has any merit at all, really, but that's the kind of thing you like to base a lot of conclusions on. As long as that's true, we'll simply be at an impasse.
Its NOT just a weeks data but Grandersons career we are talking about here. Jose Reyes career too. These are talents not far apart from each other.

I hope it goes thru fine because it should, and no other reason than that.

If we were talking about his career you wouldn't say he's "getting better," a phrase that only makes sense by extrapolating from this last week.

Most of the other reasons listed work against him, too. For example, the point that Reyes didn't play much last year--neither did Granderson. The idea that he has a track record--so does Reyes, and it's a better, longer one. Reyes is also 3 years younger, makes his downswing far less likely to be permanent. Not to mention that Granderson's now in one of the worst offensive ballparks in all of baseball.

Any trade can potentially work out for anyone, so all trades are about maximizing probabilities. And I just don't see any angle from which this does that. Sorry. Call 'em as I see 'em.

I know and thats why I repped your other post above.

Curtis Granderson hit 43 home runs in 2012, 43! He hit 41 in 2011. So I may be able to find a guy that can steal me bags much cheaper, but no way I can find a cheap option for that kind of power upside. Reyes has been on my bench mostly anyway (though he was slotted when he hit his 2 dingers, so thats cool).

Indeed, no way you can find a cheap option with 40-homer power upside...but you don't have that with Granderson any more, either. Not even with the most optimistic of predictions.

Both ESPN and Yahoo both have Reyes way ahead in their in-season rankings, by the way. And it's not close.

I don't really believe in vetoing trades if they're uneven. If Tongo thinks it's fair, and his trade partner does too, then bully for them. I think uneven trades are a part of good (and bad) fantasy baseball managing, as long as there is no underhanded funny business. With that said, Granderson just isn't that good anymore, and his 40 HR seasons were in large part because of Yankee Stadium and the favorable dimensions for left-handed power hitters. I'd probably guess he'd hit 20 or so this year. But I'm not going to veto it. Do your thing Tongo!

Both ESPN and Yahoo both have Reyes way ahead in their in-season rankings, by the way. And it's not close.
If youre talking about how theyre presented in the Players page thats the same as the pre-draft rankings. If not could you please link me? Ive heard you mention these before.

They have Reyes ranked 52?! 52?! What league are they playing in?! Thats just poppycock. Kemps 53 and he's been ass longer than Grandy. Grandy had an excuse as he was hurt and...oh screw it....

Thanks for the link though.

Kemp is playing 100x better than Granderson....I should know....I owned both....
Yes but Granderson crashed into an outfield wall in spring training, and was playing thru some injuries in April. Over the last 14 days Grandy is ranked 110 overall in actual production, and Kemp 315.

Grandy is healed and Kemps problems are more untraceable. Maybe its between his ears, or he's off PEDs, who knows. Strange how he just became ho hum seemingly overnight.

Plus, there's that whole thing and how he plays for the Mets. Have you seen the Mets? Not good. Not really.

Oh argle frickin bargle....

If he ends up better than Jose Reyes going forward, Ill be happy.

Any set of rankings can be quibbled with, but the ranking difference is huge on two completely different sites. People can predict whatever they like, and anything can happen, but both the data and the experts form a pretty clear consensus on which side of the deal you'd want here.

I dont follow those ranking values as everything in deciding value. The ones that made that list also told us Bryce Harper was first round material. Its just conjecture, and when deciding between two name guys I mostly go with actual production.

I dont follow those ranking values as everything in deciding value. The ones that made that list also told us Bryce Harper was first round material.
That's a pretty goofy example given that he got hurt and there's no way to reliably predict injuries in players without a history of them.

But sure, you can cherry pick rankings that miss the boat on a guy. But most of the time they don't. Most of the time significantly better-ranked players outperform significantly lower-ranked ones. That's not a coincidence. And we're talking about a massive gap in both rankings, well beyond the vagaries that might place someone higher or lower in a given range.

Its just conjecture, and when deciding between two name guys I mostly go with actual production.
There are tons of examples where this hasn't been true, and I'll bet I can come up with a dozen offers that fit this criteria that you'd reject. And the kinds of things you'd use to decide who's a "name guy" are the same kinds of things people base rankings on.

Nor are all "name guys" at the same level. Apparently you think Granderson qualifies somehow, but that obviously doesn't put him in the same league as a McCutchen or a Trout. So what use is the category of "name guy" if it can house players of such wildly different value?

Any trade could work out, but that doesn't make them good retroactively. Risky bets don't become smart ones if they work out.