Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Libeled Lady (1936)

This is just one of those fun larks that the 1930s seemed to churn out by the score every year. But this one is one of the top flicks of that genre. Having William Powell as the star doesn't hurt, but then you've got his frequent co-star Myrna Loy, blonde bombshell Jean Harlow, and acting legend Spencer Tracy. Of the four, Harlow comes out on top with the comedy honors. She was engaged to Powell at the time they made this, but would tragically die soon after from kidney disease. But this is an upbeat, funny movie that serves as a great finale for Harlow.

Marty (1955)

This best picture winner is a simple story of two lonely people who meet and fall in love. It's a very sweet movie that would be hard not to like. I was very impressed with Ernest Borgnine in a type of role that I've never seen him play before.

Onna jigoku: mori wa nureta (1973, Japan) ~ 6.25/10

Ah a movie loosely based off deSade's "Justine". At first the movie moved at a normal pace... a drama.... then it started to pick up and bam... a scene that made me say "F**k!" happened. For those who know me well, know what type of scene. For being a film so early in the 1970's, Im sure it was pretty shocking to the movie crowds. This film is not for everyone.

It was okay. For one, it was so dang slow. Some slow movies work for me, but ones that are just purely tons of mundane dialogue are too much, and this was no different. I also didn't see any fantastic visuals, imagery, or cinematography. I mean, there was some at the beginning and here and there throughout, but the majority of the film was just on a spacecraft set... nothing to write home about. It was a good story, and I'm sure it would have been emotional had I been engaged, but I wasn't. Not giving up on Tarkovsky quite yet though.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Marty (1955)

This best picture winner is a simple story of two lonely people who meet and fall in love. It's a very sweet movie that would be hard not to like. I was very impressed with Ernest Borgnine in a type of role that I've never seen him play before.

I really like this film. It would be fringe 50s list pick for me.

Pretty good.

The Straight Story was a touching and heartfelt movie, and it really showed Lynch's range as a director. Richard Farnsworth and Sissy Spacek are great and a cameo from Big Ed from Twin Peaks was a pleasant surprise. The story is good and simple, and the camerawork is beautiful. I only had a few problems with this movie.

For one, let me just say that I have come to love Angelo Badalamenti and I think he's one of the greatest film composers of all time. BUT in this film there's about 3 or 4 pieces of music and they are played over and over again. Yes, the score is very pretty but at a certain point it becomes rather tiresome. Also, the scenes of Richard Farnsworth driving are well shot and all, but I think some of them could have been cut a bit shorter. The final problem I had with this movie was that the ending left me a bit cold. After all this time of travel I expected some great forgiveness or some huge emotional payoff, but I didn't get that. I guess I could see how the ending is sweet and doesn't require much ending dialogue, but still, I was expecting something better.

All in all, The Straight Story is a nice heartfelt movie that makes you smile. Despite it's lackluster ending, the repetitive music, and the numerous shots of Richard Farnsworth driving, this was a really good film. I suggest it to anyone who is looking for a touching story.

Fire walk with me.

Marty might very well be on my 1950s top 100 list.

There was also a 1953 teleplay of Marty done for the TV show Philco Goodyear Television Playhouse with Rod Steiger as Marty. It's a little different, than the sympathetic portrayal Borgnine gives. Steiger's Marty is more angst and angry. It's also a good version.

Solaris (1972) is slow that's true and I could see many might not like it. I guess what I liked was the overall storyline.

Olympus Has Fallen

Nothing really new done in this movie, just another action movie that involves terrorism. I would put this in the category of Sunday afternoon movie to watch when you don't have much else to do. I cant really comment on the acting cause it seemed like a cakewalk for everyone involved no one went over an above they all just played out the script.

2.5/5 Stars
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Olympus-has-fallen_5154430_lrg.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	16627  

Pain and Gain

Watched 2 over the weekend and this movie was interesting. On one hand you have a typical Michael Bay movie, production was extravagant, script was over the top and looks like he found his new leading Actor he is going to use in just about everything. What I did find interesting was why he took this movie on, based on a true story which I didn't think was his thing. Maybe because it was in Miami he took it on. Anyway it wasn't a bad movie I really enjoyed the Rock's performance as a crazy drug addict. Worth a watch as it is hard to believe this is based off of a true story.

3/5 Stars

Hey, at least we had this movie which was nothing at all like Olympus Has Fallen.
I have not watched this movie yet but I heard it is basically the same thing.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Lackluster ending to The Straight Story? Both brothers cry and then Lynch reprises the ending to The Elephant Man.

Pain and Gain is so underrated.

Unregistered User

Throne of Blood (1957)

Piranha 2: The Spawning (1981)

Twisted Nerve (1968)

This must be the Place (2011)

No time to type anything about these besides the fact the Throne of Blood was a phenomenal experience and the rest were awful.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part III: Rebellion (2013)

There was a hell of a lot wrong with this movie. Overly convenient setting, off pacing, unnecessary plot twists, convoluted story coupled with long exposition explaining itself and it just reeked of whatever feeling you get watching the film sequel to a great television series because of a good number of fanfare moments. That being said, I also loved every frame of this film.

Just visually the film is absolutely breathtaking and that is probably its best asset. Every frame of the film is computer wallpaper material and just so much creativity and extremely impressive animation techniques involved. Yes its all ideas we saw in the original series, but they're all extrapolated to the max. Even though its considerably flawed, the story works and it works well within the canon. We end up with a surprisingly great character study and even the bad and sudden twists make perfect sense. I am passionately in love with this film despite my better judgement, but that is also the case with most of my favourite movies.

I can't score this any less than a perfect 10 (1 of 4).

Manhattan (1979)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Straightheads

Dont be a menace to south central while drinking your juice in the hood

Almost Human

Soldier Blue (1970)

This is certainly not a great film, and I'm not sure if the filmmakers deserve credit or if they exploited a tragedy, but this movie packs an emotional punch that very few movies could ever dream of. The Sand Creek massacre is the one event in my country's history, that I know of, that makes me feel some shame. The great movie, Little big man, also touched on this injustice. Little Big Man is a much better movie than this, and was about so much more, but it's depiction of this event was also emotional for me. I had an uncomfortable edge watching this movie. I'm not sure if the movie deserves credit for this, or if it was because I knew what was coming, and it's real history. Most of the movie is just ok; sometimes it's a love story, there's small attempts at humor, and it can be a little boring. The acting is adequate and some of the musical score is goofy and seems out of place, but there are also hints at what's to come, and these scenes were emotional. The opening theme song is exceptional and haunting, and I'm pretty certain I've heard it before. Although the beginning of the movie is unexpectedly violent, the rest of it kind of lulls you to sleep until the ultra-shocking, ugly finale. This movie is extremely violent for it's time of release. Ultimately, I have mixed feelings on this movie as a whole, but one thing is for certain-I will never forget it. I give high marks for that.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Man Who Knew Too Much -

Top 5 Hitchcock! It was just your usual pretty good 3.5 star Hitchcock film until the Albert Hall scene (glorious Herrmann concerto in Hitch film feels like Noodles and Blondie went on Morricone concerto in Leone flick) and pretty good song thingy. The very ending was really fast and at the same time hilarious.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.