Movie everyone loved but YOU hated?

Tools    

This one is easy for me.

American Beauty...

I know, I know...it won the Oscar...I don't care. This was truly a spoiled spud for me. It was an over the top dark look at American life as we supposedly know it. Yes, the cinematography was nice, the acting fine. But I did not enjoy the movie at all. Period. And that is what counts. Call me crazy, but are films not categorized under "entertainment"? Why is there such a snobbish expectation for movies to make a statement or be so true to life? Don't get me wrong...I like movies that are deep or artistic if they entertain me. I just was not entertained by this movie.

If people see American Beauty as an accurate reflection of American life then shame on them. I wouldn't want these characters as neighbors...nor would I invite them into my home...which I guess is exactly what I did by spending a couple hours of my time watching the movie, so my bad.

I'm just a French fry looking for my ketchup and this one was nothing but vinegar.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Not sure I appreciate all your potato references. It really bakes my potato.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I know, I know...it won the Oscar...I don't care. This was truly a spoiled spud for me. It was an over the top dark look at American life as we supposedly know it. Yes, the cinematography was nice, the acting fine. But I did not enjoy the movie at all. Period. And that is what counts. Call me crazy, but are films not categorized under "entertainment"? Why is there such a snobbish expectation for movies to make a statement or be so true to life? Don't get me wrong...I like movies that are deep or artistic if they entertain me. I just was not entertained by this movie.

If people see American Beauty as an accurate reflection of American life then shame on them. I wouldn't want these characters as neighbors...nor would I invite them into my home...which I guess is exactly what I did by spending a couple hours of my time watching the movie, so my bad.
You didn't think it was funny? The dinner scene when Lester quit his job, or the dialogue between Ricky and his father, or Jane and her friend, or Lester's attitude to his job?

I really HATED No Country For Old Men.

Spoilers...

Killing the main focus OFF SCREEN, quitting and giving up and letting the bad guy limp away. Sorry, I just hated it. How can anyone think that frustrating an audience is quality cinema? Pretentious, crude, cruel, bizarre and not even remotely as clever as it pretends to be.
"Giving up?" It was in line with the whole philosophy the movie was promoting the whole time. It didn't show you Llewellyn's death because there was more going on that you were supposed to figure out. The bad guy limped away after a random accident because, like in the story about the killing the cow, anything can happen.

Anyway, I didn't like Heat. It was just boring. Boring, boring, boring.

Scarface (1983) - For whatever reason, I used to love this movie in my mid to late teens. I watch it now and all I see is an incredably cheesy movie and some really over the top, histrionic performances. (not just Pacino)

You didn't think it was funny? The dinner scene when Lester quit his job, or the dialogue between Ricky and his father, or Jane and her friend, or Lester's attitude to his job?

"Giving up?" It was in line with the whole philosophy the movie was promoting the whole time. It didn't show you Llewellyn's death because there was more going on that you were supposed to figure out. The bad guy limped away after a random accident because, like in the story about the killing the cow, anything can happen.

Anyway, I didn't like Heat. It was just boring. Boring, boring, boring.
Nope, American Beauty just wasn't for me. My husband also hated it...plus No Country for Old Men

I was incredibly unimpressed with Watchmen. The action was good and it represented the graphic novel well but it just didn't excite me at all. All my friends loved it and I was just sort of underwhelmed. Maybe my expectations were to high but I thought it was to long, and had a crappy cast. It had big potential but in my view fell short in the end.

Wedding Crashers gets mentioned along side the great comedies of all time and I just don't understand why. It has its moments and some great one liners, but Vince Vaughn is annoying, Owen Wilson was unimpressive and the story is just too outlandish for me. Also I would have liked to see more of Will Ferrell because he can save any film.

Banned from Hollywood.
Scarface (1983) - For whatever reason, I used to love this movie in my mid to late teens. I watch it now and all I see is an incredably cheesy movie and some really over the top, histrionic performances. (not just Pacino)

Noooooooo...it's a masterpiece

ok i cant make you change your mind..

Nothing can change my mind about this movie...i remember first having seen it in 1989.

well 20 years down the line i love it still.. thing is i also tend to love it more with each passing year...i can give countless reasons why , but that's for another thread

I Am Registered And So Can You!
"Lost in Translation". I was so excited to see it because everyone I knew raved and raved about it...and then when I saw it, nothing. I was so disappointed. I mean maybe I just didn't get it, who knows? But I thought it was a seriously overrated movie.

P.S. I love David Lynch and Stanley Kubrick

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm with you on Lost in Translation. Appropriate title though.

Hi folks.
LTNS

I know it was said earlier to keep it to the last decade, but what the hell.

So I'm in agreement with E.T.
Sentimental tripe with an overblown score by John Williams. The first half of the movie actually isn't too bad, but it really goes downhill partway through. And for the record, I love Close Encounters.

So I'm a heartless ogre. Sue me.

I also hate Die Hard.
There are some great action sequences, sure, but the script is just awful, replete with cardboard characters, and everyone (except Bruce Willis and Reginald VelJohnson, of course) acting like complete idiots. Oh, and Alan Rickman plays an excellent villain, so I guess that's something.

Lastly (for now, at least), I can't stand Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
He was just such a smug little bastard.

Oh, and I didn't think Borat was all that great.

See? I told you I'd find more movies to hate.
I completely agree with this post, except that I never did like it.

Burn After Reading...I just didn't love it. And I'll admit I was kind of lost during most of it.
acura rl wheels

Talladega Nights - Just about everyone I know talks like this is the funniest movie they've ever seen. I tried to watch it once. I couldn't make it. I could feel the brain cells dying. With very few exceptions, I find nearly everything that Will Ferrell has made in the last 10 years or so pretty much unwatchable.

napolean dynamite. i hated it and i think i wasted my time watching it

sideways, wtf was that

I Am Registered And So Can You!
Hi folks.

Oh, and I didn't think Borat was all that great.
I just saw Borat recently and I didn't think it was that great either.

And yeah mark f Lost in Translation was definitely appropriately titled...

I wouldnt say hate but i really didnt see the big deal over Dark Knight. it was over long, had a shoddy plot and was a tad too self-indulgent in its darkness. acting was brilliant though and i loved the entire main cast.

Welcome to the human race...
Here's a handful more...

Juno - irritating as hell on so many levels.

Two Hands - a very misguided Guy Ritchie wannabe film.

Ratatouille - I've liked everything else Pixar's made to one degree or another, but this one just couldn't interest me.