Movie Tab II

Tools    

I am half agony, half hope.
Night and Fog

I'm glad this film was brief. It gave a very real sense of what the camps were like, but ended before I had to stop watching. This is a difficult film to view, but very important. There are people that don't know the enormity of the effects that the holocaust had on the world.

Johann von Goethe

The red violin - François Girard

I'm on a bit of a Canadian trip, although this story had very little Canadian in it. Nothing wrong with it, just failed to move me in any way.

Next up are Leolo and Mon oncle Antoine (as recommended by christine). Feel free to suggest some more....

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
One word can describe this picture. Terrific. It's been a while since I myself seen Henry "Indiana" Jones on the big screen, and seeing KOTCS brought back memories. I enjoyed it immensely. I loved it how the previous films were tied together, and that Mary Ravenwood (Karen Allen) returned. Having Indy age without doing anything to him to make him look younger was smart. It made it look realistic.

I specifically was enticed by the story. The sci-fi level of the whole thing made it more interesting. KOTCS is to me a great addition to Indy series. Even though Harrison Ford has aged, he still has got what it takes. Although, with Shia Labeouf doing the next one, Ford will probably only be the sidekick - at the least. (If that gets even made).

As for Shia's character Mutt Williams, he played it with style and perfection. He's got great acting chops and fighting skills. If by any chance there is another film - The Adventures of Mutt Jones (jk) - I think he mght win us over. But that won't be for quite a long time. If that does even happen.

And no.....nobodys face melts in this one.

Rating -

what made you choose Night and Fog Mrs. Darcy? it's a pretty intense film.
I have Hiroshima Mon Amour, but have never seen any other Renais films, so when Mark posted about it, I decided to move it to the top of my queue. It wasn't 'light' viewing, but it was a good film to see. I have some more Resnais films in my queue to see, also.

What did you think of Night and Fog, Undercover?

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
I have Hiroshima Mon Amour, but have never seen any other Renais films, so when Mark posted about it, I decided to move it to the top of my queue. It wasn't 'light' viewing, but it was a good film to see. I have some more Resnais films in my queue to see, also.

What did you think of Night and Fog, Undercover?
I thought it was difficult to watch but i hadn't chosen to watch it, it was on the syllabus for my documentary module. It was quite distressing to see it but I thought it was well made and I liked how the two worlds were separated by colour and black and white

We watched the original Willy Wonka last night with Gene Wilder and I had forgotten how much fun this version is. Good stuff.

The Seventh Seal

This movie was a little frustrating for me. I have lots of questions for the director as to why he did certain things in the film. The film itself was fine, although I have to say some of it was unfathomable to me. I love the premise of the story, (a knight challenges Death to a game of chess) and I hear that it's been imitated over and over in other films. I haven't seen any of these films, so I can't say if this is true or not. I'm rambling aren't I? Sorry! It was beautifully shot, and his cast of actors were very good. I like that he uses the same actors over and over in his films.

The Seventh Seal

This movie was a little frustrating for me. I have lots of questions for the director as to why he did certain things in the film.
Well maybe you could ask those questions here. There are plenty of people who've seen it (including me not long ago actually) so maybe we could help shed some light on them...

In the Beginning...
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Spielberg, 2008)

We're all Indiana Jones fans here, so we know the risks going in. We like our Indy served a certain way, and when we get the feeling that something isn't quite right with this new installment, we get nervous. But I really wanted to like KotCS. So I deliberately chose to forego any expectations, and instead purchase my ticket knowing that I was about to be treated to a new Indiana Jones film after 19 years of loving the franchise as much as I love my own family.

I was pleased. Very pleased. There are, of course, questionable directions taken by the film. Unbelievable scenarios. Awkward dialogue. Laughable puzzles. But for just $8.50, I got the same lovable, intense, hilarious, charming Indy experience I've known in the past three films. There are plenty of little nods. Plenty of not-so-little nods. And plenty of genuine Indiana Jones magic.

I remarked to my friends today that regarding the plot, if Indiana Jones was not the vehicle for it, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the film. But that might be a little misleading to those who haven't yet seen it. For Indy fans, the plot really is secondary to the experience. As long as he's smirking, raiding tombs, getting captured, chasing, being chased, punching redshirts, and everything else we're accustomed to seeing him do, it's all good. And he's VERY much in form here. All other aspects, for me, are either nice editions or minor complaints. Even the controversial alien element is forgivable because it seems Spielberg and crew wanted to really capture the mythos of the 1950s in a classy, Hollywood kind of way.

If you're an Indiana Jones fanatic, but not so much that you're willing to celebrate the films with this new (and probably last) romp even if it isn't the perfect bookend we'd all like it to be, then rest assured, you'll come out of the theater supercharged, smiling, and throwing fake trademark Indy punches at your friends. And come on... isn't that how we'd all like to be?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Like Water For Chocolate (Alfonso Arau, 1992)

Laura Esquivel's sexy, yummy novel captures magical realism in a totally original way: through recipes which appeal to love and sex. It's a wonderful idea and translated quite well by Arau. TIMEOUT: This has nothing to do with Arau as a director of this film, but I love to relate the connection to The Wild Bunch. In The Wild Bunch, the main guy was the sadistic Mapache (Emilio Fernandez, left}, who directed dozens of films, my favorite being his adaptation of Steinbeck's The Pearl. Arau (right) played Mapache's lieutenant in The Wild Bunch, and his directorial claims to fame, at least in the U.S., are Like Water For Chocolate and A Walk in the Clouds.

I seem to recall that when this film was released in the U.S., it set a new record for most money grossed by a foreign-language film. Of course, its record was destroyed later by Life is Beautiful and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. At least, I think that's the truth.

The novel pretty much covers a lot of history, culture, sex, family trees, recipes, and concepts of what the relationship between the U.S. and Mexico was during WWI, the Pancho Villa era. It also pretty much assures you that Mexicans believe in ghosts, and I'm not all that sure that they don't believe in them any more than any culture, and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with their "official religion". My students still believe in ghosts en masse, so that tells me something right there. However, every single ghost which appears as a ghost here is a terrific plot device. Remember, one of my fave books/stories is A Christmas Carol.

The novel/movie is so concerned with cooking as a personal expression that it almost rivals Babette's Feast as the greatest film ever made about food and its effect on families and love. Of course, this film is less of a mystery than the wonderful Babette's Feast, even if I probably give them the same rating. One thing which is probably sure is that this movie has more fire, sweat and sexual desire than most. That's why I like it so much. The women in this movie seem to all take the initiative sexually, no matter how repressed their mama seems to be. I say, good for them.

Big Fish (2003)

This movie really "agrees" with me, I can watch it over and over and every time I do I just love it that much more. It's a relatively simple story of a son who thinks he doesn't know who his father is and yet later on when his father is dieing he begins to delve into his father's past and learns that maybe all the stories his father used to tell him as a child weren't a big pack of lies after all. Toward the end of the movie Will (the son) says this about his father and it really rings true for me.

"A man tells so many stories, that he becomes the stories. They live on after him, and in that way he becomes immortal."

I love that, and I love most everything about this film. I personally think this is Tim Burton's best film even after seeing Sweeny Todd.

Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (2005)

After just seeing the original Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory, I thought it would be interesting to watch this version again to compare and contrast. In fact this version is actually quite good in a lot of ways that the first one wasn't. I'm basically talking about what happens to all the children, three are the same stories, but there is one dramatic difference, in Willy Wonka, Veruca Salt is labeled a "bad egg" and then tossed down a garbage chute and in Charlie it follows the book and she gets labeled a "bad nut" and is then tossed down the chute.

One thing that I really enjoyed from the first film that is absent from the second is the finding of the ticket. I thought the way it was portrayed in the first film was much more well done. Charlie Bucket and his family were dirt poor and yet when Charlie finds the money in the street he can't help himself and runs in to buy himself a candy bar and eats it so fast that he barely tastes it and it isn't until he buys the second Wonka bar that he finds the golden ticket. Conversely in Charlie there is a scene aboard the boat that is missing from Willy Wonka, its the scene where Willy reaches out of the boat and ladles up some melted chocolate and lets Charlie and grandpa Joe drink it. It's a small moment and yet in their own ways both films go a long way to convey just how poor and hungry Charlie really was.

So I guess I'm saying I really love both movies and I'm going to rate them the same. You dig?

Corpse Bride (2005)

On a bit of a Burton kick yesterday I guess, anyway I also really enjoy this little flick from Mr. Burton and me being greedy I just wish it was a little longer. Still a very interesting little flick.

The Cell

Directed by Tarsem Singh, known for his music video directing, The Cell was a little thin on plot, but visually amazing. I hadn't seen this movie since it had first hit the video shelves and watching it through this time, I could see the resemblance to a music video. That's not a bad thing in itself, but it was the best part of the movie for me.

Jennifer Lopez is Catherine Deane, a psychologist that can enter the subconscious of her patients wearing a rubberized suit. She gets asked by the feds to enter serial killer Carl Stargher's mind to find out where his latest victim is before she dies. Vincent D'Onofrio plays Stargher, he seems to have the lock on the damaged and creepy guy. He does it well.

Our psychologist meets young Carl in our killer's mind, and we find out why he became a killer. Anyway, through a series of pretty pictures and many costume changes by J-Lo, we get to the part where the victim is saved by the feds, played by Jake Weber and Vince Vaughn. If this seems a bit abrupt, it's because the ending felt a bit shorted to me. If you haven't seen this, then you should watch it at least once just for the photography. I'm impressed enough with it to go and see Singh's latest movie, The Fall today, because it looks just as stunning.

Nice review MD, I've always had a soft spot for The Cell and I would rate it higher but coming from me that means virtually nothing. Truly though a very beautifully shot film.

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Worse than I expected. I'm guessing I would have loved it 15 years ago but now it's just a dull and clichéd children's film. I'm not sure if the original story is simply weak or if they botched up the adaptation but by the time they got to the classic slo-mo dramatic battle shots I was ready to leave the theater. Someone please remind me not to spend more money on this franchise...

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Worse than I expected. I'm guessing I would have loved it 15 years ago but now it's just a dull and clichéd children's film. I'm not sure if the original story is simply weak or if they botched up the adaptation but by the time they got to the classic slo-mo dramatic battle shots I was ready to leave the theater. Someone please remind me not to spend more money on this franchise...

I pretty much agree with everything you said there and what's even worse to me is the fact (at least it is in my mind) that this story isn't really like this. Maybe I should go and re-read it but this whole LOTR lite thing they are most certainly trying to capitalize on is just not doing it for me. And the thing is, as I recall the stories are very much children's fables almost. So why not make the films more like the books? Why this big build up to this big Mega-battle, that I don't even remember from the book. I mean, I know there was a battle in the story but I don't recall it taking up the whole story.

The trouble is I'm just such a sucker for these types of movies and so off I went and saw it. Anyway, I'm with you on one thing for sure. I'm going to start skipping these from now on until they hit the $4.99 bin most likely.