Hollywood and Sexual Misconduct

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Originally Posted by Dani8

I was almost sure I read that some star had filed a defamation lawsuit, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Maybe I'm thinking of your report about Geoffrey Rush? Didn't he file for defamation?
Yes he filed as soon as it happened. This second actor filed just yesterday (the complaints were made around xmas time so maybe the courts have only just resumed from xmas recess here, but I'm just curious if there is a legal procedure over your way preventing them from filing when a matter is under investigation. Surely some of them would go the way of defamation?) The third celebrity came up with some outrageous bullsht he is an undisclosed aspy, but that's all currently gone quiet. That guy....ewww dont like him at all and havent for years.

Bill Cosby sure did. More than once I believe. And lately he's been out making the public rounds at jazz shows and what not trying to drum up sympathy from his loyal base of fans and neighbors.

This is what any good father would want to do, and I feel for him. I wanted him to beat the crap out of Nassar.

But the question is: how did this man, and all the other parents of the abused children, not know of the abuses his daughter endured prior to the allegations and trial?

This is an eye-opener. We should teach our children to speak up when they feel abused by other people, particularly adults, and not feel threatened or bad in doing so. Establishing open communication is very important.

This is aside from another startling question of how that sick a__hole got away with all those abuses for so long, and why he was allowed to be with young girls alone without the presence of a parent or nurse.

I may not understand the protocol of how medical treatments occur, but I'm sure this case will change that protocol forever. When a male doctor specifically is treating a female patient, young or old, it is common sense to have another female in the room, and if the patient is a minor, it should be mandatory to have the parent in the room. Better yet, female patients should have female doctors.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I think training at this level is probably so extreme, and so atypical, that traditional norms and expectations sorta go out the window, and people end up basically entrusting their children to these coaches like they were parents. When they're good people who care for the children it's probably fine (and the only way to reach the kinds of athletic heights necessary to find that level of success), but obviously there's a tremendous amount at risk when they aren't. I suspect it will always happen as long as any child is pushing themselves (or being pushed) to these kinds of heights.

This is aside from another startling question of how that sick a__hole got away with all those abuses for so long, and why he was allowed to be with young girls alone without the presence of a parent or nurse. [...] if the patient is a minor, it should be mandatory to have the parent in the room.
A shocking amount of this abuse occurred with the parent right there in there with them. But he was expert at positioning himself just right and molesting them in a way where even the athlete was left wondering is this just part of the treatment. One of them said it wasnt until she was in her 20's that she learned that "digital vaginal penetration" is in no way a normal therapeutic approach and that she was in fact molested. She said she felt super uncomfortable about it from the start but saw all these pictures of gold medal winning athletes on his wall and knew his reputation and just assumed it must be ok. The parents as well.

I just read Uma Thurman's account of the assault by Harvey very slowly and carefully, twice. I am not the kind of person who champions a man in power abusing his priviliges, nor am I making excuses for Harvey Weinstein's (probably) checkered past making advances at women, but I do think that Thurman's "big news" is kind of weak and absolutely scatterbrained, as the Dowd article then goes into reckless endangerment for a stunt Uma endured at the hands of Quentin Tarantino.

No, as far as I can see, Harvey made an advance after a long spell of supposed flirtatious and playful working relationship, was turned down, and then Thurman kept playing the game, anyway. Her career was on the line according to what she alleges Harvey told her in private, if she were to divulge the "awkward advance" Harvey made. Harvey confirms this, but no rape took place, Uma even says in black and white "he didn't put his back into it". In other words, Harvey didn't force her into anything. I find it absolutely ridiculous that no one ever suspects that Hollywood has predators that WILL rape you if they see fit and WILL destroy your career for much less, maybe something like NOT having sex with them. Uma didn't have non consensual sex with Harvey, this is what they are both saying.

So what is going on here? Something stinks bad and it isn't just Harvey Weinstein.

No, as far as I can see, Harvey made an advance after a long spell of supposed flirtatious and playful working relationship, was turned down, and then Thurman kept playing the game, anyway.
Eh?

“It was such a bat to the head. He pushed me down. He tried to shove himself on me. He tried to expose himself. He did all kinds of unpleasant things.
Who deserves that kind of sexual harassment in the workplace? Doesnt matter if it's a woman or a man, or a minor. It;s not on, and I think if you look up the Act on sexual harassment you'll find out for yourself. Blowing this off as a harmless flirtation is a bit off, Joel, especially because he was doing it to so many people. I'm not sure what some people are finding so hard to understand about that. Would you put up with it? And his comment about her career - wut? You cant see what was wrong with holding that over her head?

Dear me, I wonder if people would be saying it was harmless if it was their daughter or son. It's pretty simple in the context of the sexual harassment Act. I think people forgot that because the Weinstein Effect created such a worldwide media storm and it's about celebrities. If this was about your average Joe and Jolene in the workplace there would be a a very different reaction..

In your own words

Her career was on the line according to what she alleges Harvey told her in private, if she were to divulge the "awkward advance" Harvey made.
Can you not see what is wrong with that?

Yeah I know, tell me again trying to reply is like farting through a whatever you said. I've heard it all before from people blowing off the Sexual Harassment Act until it happens to them in the workplace.

And before you slap me with a fart cloud or whatever it is, yes I thought Uma came across as a bit odd as well, much like the 'nasty woman' came across as a bit insane, but they're actors and they never stop acting. Everyone from the media to the film industry types have taken advantage of that but it does not stop the fact that Harvey and others have been using their tiny little friend in their pants to push around their weight in the workplace. It's in breach of the Act. Forget the gutter press circus, the actos putting on an act, the third wave feminists and red pillers being angry with the opposite sex, it is not acceptable.

Woah, Dani, hold on a tick. I never said anything wasn't wrong with what Harvey did. Of course it was wrong. I was trying to illustrate that Uma pumped up her reserved story as if she had been raped, and she was not raped. Yes, Harvey sexually harassed her, I know. Harvey's a pig. I agree. It's the delayed reaction that puzzles me. At the time these things happen, no one wants to lose a paycheck. But 20 years or so later, they're willing to completely crucify someone for something that they allowed to continue by simply "playing the game", or in other words, staying in the same business company, contractual obligations aside.

And before you slap me with a fart cloud or whatever it is, yes I thought Uma came across as a bit odd as well, much like the 'nasty woman' came across as a bit insane, but they're actors and they never stop acting. Everyone from the media to the film industry types have taken advantage of that but it does not stop the fact that Harvey and others have been using their tiny little friend in their pants to push around their weight in the workplace. It's in breach of the Act. Forget the gutter press circus, the actos putting on an act, the third wave feminists and red pillers being angry with the opposite sex, it is not acceptable.

“It was such a bat to the head. He pushed me down. He tried to shove himself on me. He tried to expose himself. He did all kinds of unpleasant things. But he didn’t actually put his back into it and force me. You’re like an animal wriggling away, like a lizard. I was doing anything I could to get the train back on the track. My track. Not his track.”

Let's not leave details out, though.

Let's not leave details out, though.
Well played and I accept that. It's why I said she came across as a bit odd. She was all over the place.

As for Harvey being a pig - hey, pigs are clean, intelligent animals. Harvey is a knuckledragging neanderthal.

I acknowledge that it's hard to swallow that people took so long to talk about it. That's the whole point - it was well known that Hollywood has had the cone of silence protecting the power brokers since the film industry started. People did talk about it at the time and were told to shut up or they'd lose their career. The same thing has been happening here in the film industry. I dont know how old you are but exactly the same thing happened in the medical fraternity several decades ago. Doctors thought the Hippocratic Oath meant backing fellow doctors, no matter what, so it was almost impossible to sue a doctor for effing up because no one from the old boys club would take the stand against one of the gods effing up or standing over other medical staff. I know this because my eldest brother is a doctor and is the age bracket of doctors who said enough was enough. The cone of silence was waterproof but then the bubble burst, same as now.

Simple as that. This thing became a great stage for the over actors, legal land sharks, sewer rats in the press, and people forgot, as I said, this is simply about Sexual Harassment (part from the rape allegations - that's a whole other basket)

I hope Harvey is enjoying his holiday in therapy over there in Arizona. Do I think he;s sorry he used his penis in this way? No I think he's sorry that the club had his back then everyone (well a lot of them) turned on a dime so as to not look bad.

And make no mistake, I would say the same about any woman in power who acted the same way. I dont feel passionate about this because I want to stand up for the wiminz. I feel passionate about this because I have seen both men and women stood over by bullies in the workplace and it's just got to stop. It's soul destroying and no human being in 2018 should put with that, especially in the place where they spend most of their waking life. People have nervous breakdowns over this kind of thing. One poor young guy I worked with was treated the 'Disclosure' way by a woman up the hierarchy because he wouldnt play ball with her in the bedroom. Horrendous! He did end up very unwell. Tht's just one example.

To be honest I really didn't like the writer, Dowd, and what she did with her piece, especially since what Thurman says, though seemingly a bit abstract with motivation, is important in reforming the corporate workplace into a zero tolerance atmosphere regarding sexual harassment.

Dowd's writing was painting a strange picture, adding details that weren't important, such as her living quarters and her personal habits and physique. Strange. Also, I think Thurman should have just released her own detailed account and not relied on the filtering of a writer, but again, it's another paycheck, and a big one at that. News pays huge money for stories, especially in a flurry of outbursts that form an alliance (#metoo).

It all smells horrible. I can only hope nothing but good comes from this and that the peripheral accusations that are bogus are quickly handled, because people's livelihoods are at stake, innocent people, at least in terms of balancing an ancient poor decision with a more severe choice to aggressively assault another person.

Well played and I accept that. It's why I said she came across as a bit odd. She was all over the place.

It's soul destroying and no human being in 2018 should put with that, especially in the place where they spend most of their waking life. People have nervous breakdowns over this kind of thing. One poor young guy I worked with was treated the 'Disclosure' way by a woman up the hierarchy because he wouldnt play ball with her in the bedroom. Horrendous! He did end up very unwell. Tht's just one example.
I agree with every word you're saying, I really do. I get really confused and angered by the way this is all handled by the press, and even more upset that the famous people speaking out about other famous people aren't going through all the proper channles, retroactively. In this case, something like this would be better suited, for clarity, if Thurman had put forth a bone dry account of what happened, and not relied on a professional writer to color her story and mix her grievances up with two men in one article. That whole thing stinks. Also, I am not going to lie. Harvey Weinstein, as much of a sick and despicable person as he has been, has also done some great things. A cadillac has a dent, or a Ferrari has a dent, you don't throw it away forever. You buff it out or hire a body shop to fix it (which is what is happening in Arizona now, lol?). I am not saying Weinstein is a caddy or an italian sports car, far from it, but he has spearheaded many a great independent film, and flag planted some bold projects into the american movie system that are here to stay, and considered kind of important. Again, I am not defending his actions in the regard to his sexual behavior or lack of respect. I'm just saying that the witchhunt mentality is an ancient practice. I hear more bone head comments about all of this business than I do informed and considered opinions or reiterations of the facts put to print.

The facts put to print.

It's a dangerous place.

And not to beat a dead horse (but I'm going to anyway), I'm kind of peeved at Thurman, too. The way she pumped up the general public with her "teaser preview" a month or two back. That's all a tactic. She knew damn well that she'd take the highest bidder for the story, and in the end, the story was garbage.

Were there important elements to note in the story? Yes, of course there were. Did the story champion zero tolerance of sexual harassment in the workplace? Barely.

Sexual harassment isn't a new thing. It's been being unsuccessfully combated for a very long time. Pretty soon, because of the continued failure to implement common sense into crazy people, the world is going to only allow sexual relationships between people if they pass an online dating exam on par with a space mission.

Oh wait, that's already happened. Nevermind.

Smile for the camera! The camera loves ya, babe!

. I get really confused and angered by the way this is all handled by the press, and even more upset that the famous people speaking out about other famous people aren't going through all the proper channles, retroactively.
Yes I completely agree with you. I have no faith in the media at all these days. You have to read everything with a fine tooth comb and weed out the sht. I dont give a crap what the eff someone was wearing the day they spoke out about something. Know what I mean? It's complete and utter garbage reporting.

I dont know if I've read her piece in particular but they're all the same. Total eye rolling journalism. My comment was not just about articles I read about Uma but her own tweets. Stay off bloody social media and do it properly. They make themselves look like a goose and yes, it does harm changes that need to be made right now. I think the only one who has come out smelling sweetly over this is Douglas and the front foot action he took. Sure I think he's also a narcissistic nenderthal and would have made the workplce environment hell for anyone, men or women, but he went about it the right way recently.

Has Harvey Weiner done great things? Sure, but as you said, it was no excuse for him to wield a club over anyone's head. One of the celebs here who has come under the microscope is EXACTLY the same kind of person. You know, the kind who lights a cigar in a restaurant and when told it's a government no smoking policy he screams DONT YOU KNOW WHO I AM (yes this did happen several years ago). The number of sht he has pulled because he thinks he;s a somebody and the number of tv contracts he has lost over it is staggering, now the sexual harassment allegations (and not just from women but young guys working for the network). He's an arse clown , and it's been well known for years but no one did anything about it because, Oh that's just the way he is. Disgraceful. The producer I knew was the same. As I said in a previous post he pulled the same sht on me. Did I do anything about it? No I just decided the industry here is sick and I didnt want to work in it. Another one who is hated by others in the industry and has been for decades but all they do, the same as me, is talk about it on the side because it's been useless to do anything else before now.

And not to beat a dead horse (but I'm going to anyway), I'm kind of peeved at Thurman, too. The way she pumped up the general public with her "teaser preview" a month or two back. That's all a tactic. She knew damn well that she'd take the highest bidder for the story, and in the end, the story was garbage.

Were there important elements to note in the story? Yes, of course there were. Did the story champion zero tolerance of sexual harassment in the workplace? Barely.

Sexual harassment isn't a new thing. It's been being unsuccessfully combated for a very long time. Pretty soon, because of the continued failure to implement common sense into crazy people, the world is going to only allow sexual relationships between people if they pass an online dating exam on par with a space mission.

Oh wait, that's already happened. Nevermind.

Smile for the camera! The camera loves ya, babe!

Well said. I have no grievance with what you said.

Hey Joel, I havent found the article you're talking about yet but how about this comment from Uma in an article I;m currently reading

Thurman said she warned Weinstein: “If you do what you did to me to other people you will lose your career, your reputation and your family, I promise you.”A spokesman for the director told the Times Thurman “very well could have said this”.

According to the Times, Thurman’s “memory of the incident abruptly stops there”.
Now that can be taken more than one way - either she was threatening him that she would wreck his career, or more likely to my way of thinking she was warning him that eventually someone would blow the lid if he continued, but this kind of comment does not help matters at all, especially when a journo types that as an introduction to the comment because straight away the reader is thinker Oh what a stupid thing to say, Uma

“They were yellow,” Thurman said. “And I opened the note like it was a soiled diaper and it just said, ‘You have great instincts.’”
Thurman said that at the time of the alleged London assault, she was staying with a friend in Fulham. The following day, she said, Weinstein sent her a large bunch of roses.

Oh I finally finished the article about Uma I was reading earlier (things just kept getting in the damn way). It seems she's had a falling out with Quentin. Going to look for the article you mentioned now. Maybe she came across badly in your interview because she's no longer his muse? Yes ofcourse I'm ASSuming that one (as I am wnt to do when reading gutter press ), but she came out about Weinstein weeks ago. Im wondering why she's suddenly back in the tabloids about it. The article I read is dated today's date.

ETA OK I found the NYT article I think you're referring to. Yes, I'm really happy to know the flowers were vulgar and Hermann was sitting on a brown velvet settee beneath the elevators blah blah blah. And constantly typing that Harvey is in therapy in Arizona. Yeah yeah we got that a while ago.

And never mind about my Quentin comment. I remember now that she tweeted the tease about Harvey. Yes that was stupid. I thought at the time her tweets were making her look a bit neurotic. I dont think Michael Douglas or Spacey have done that, have they? Or even Harvey. Just stay off twitter! Makes me roll my eyes when these complainants do that. Dont their lawyers and promo people strenuously give that advice?