50 Coolest Characters

Tools    

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
17. Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden
Fight Club

" Fight Club was the beginning, now it's moved out of the basement, it's called Project Mayhem."

We've gone on holiday by mistake
When I first saw Tyler Durden I wanted to be like him, and that hasn't changed.

When I first saw Tyler Durden I wanted to be like him, and that hasn't changed.
You and the narrator both

Fight Club as a movie is pretty gay... and no I am not saying that as gay means bad, I mean gay as in... gay. There is a lot of homosexual subtext to the movie.

The unnamed Ed Norton character is a man of undetermined sexuality with an interest in interior design. He lies to groups of people he does not actually belong to as a means to fit in. He is called out by Marla, who he has no interest in sexually. At the same time Tyler shows up who is undeniably straight, and only Tyler is able to sleep with Marla, not the narrator. Tyler is a coping mechanism for said narrator. An idealized persona he wants to be, but cannot. He hangs out with mostly shirtless men, and he is in a constant battle with his own desires and his very identity (namely Tyler). This concludes with the end of the movie where he banishes the fake persona, accepting who he really is, and the end of the movie he is just holding hands with Marla, and not kissing like in just about every other movie where the lead is straight.

So Fight Club could be seen as a movie where Ed Norton is a gay man in conflict with the part of himself that wants to be straight, and is the story of coming to terms with the fact he is gay. Oh by the way Chuck Palahniuk the author of the book this movie was based on? Openly gay. Some food for thought. Either way it is an excellent movie, Tyler is a great character, in what could be the gayest straight movie ever. And there is no shame in that.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
So Fight Club could be seen as a movie where Ed Norton is a gay man in conflict with the part of himself that wants to be straight, and is the story of coming to terms with the fact he is gay. Oh by the way Chuck Palahniuk the author of the book this movie was based on? Openly gay. Some food for thought. Either way it is an excellent movie, Tyler is a great character, in what could be the gayest straight movie ever. And there is no shame in that.
the gay you say?!

gives a whole new to perspective to: "Let me tell you about Tyler Durden," doesn't it? lol

Great list so far, btw!!

Great post that analysis of Fight Club
I will admit I got this analysis from another source. An internet critic named Rantasmo. Though I believe several mainstream critics have seen that interpretation from the movie, and the original novel. After I watched this video it seemed to make too much sense to ignore.

I have the link to the video I watched. Just keep in mind it is a special April Fools Episode where the host's straight alter ego takes control of the show. It is funny and is only 6 minutes long. Worth a watch.

http://blip.tv/needsmoregay/needs-mo...t-club-6561835

16. Arnold Schwarzenegger as Major Dutch
Predator

"Dutch: What's the matter? The CIA got you pushin' too many pencils?

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Personally I think that "Billy" and "Mac" played by Bill Duke and Sonny Landham are more interesting characters than Dutch in Predator. Especially Billy, he knows **** that the others don't.

The Predator aswell ofc, so that knocks Dutch down to about 4th most interesting character for me.

13. Bruce Willis as Butch Coolidge
Pulp Fiction

12. Christopher Walken As Vincenzo Coccotti
True Romance

11. John Travolta as Vincent Vega
Pulp Fiction

10. Vin Diesel As Riddick
Pitch Black, Riddick

9. Robert Downey Jr As Iron Man
Iron Man Series

Have you considered The Dude from The Big Lebowski? After all, he does "abide".
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	TheDude.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	10737  
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - T.E. Lawrence

Off the top of my head.

Axel Foley - BHC
Ferris Buller - Day off
John McClane - Die Hard
Saul Silver - Pineapple Express
Max - Once upon a time in america
Good Kat - Lucky number slevin
Rory Breaker - Lock Stock 2 smoking barrels
Mickey - Snatch

There has to be a Smaule L. Jackson in there somewhere. Haven't seen him till now. Maybe he would there in the remaining one's!

He is the definition of cool.