Metallica would be a great film if done correctly. They were kinda underdogs or at least outcasts from the 80's metal scene, dealt with the death of a band member, rose into the mainstream, almost broke up, got wrapped up in Napster controversy, and are still pushed on as one of the biggest bands even in their older age. A great three-act story could be told there.
If any metal band is practically guaranteed a biopic sooner or later, it's Metallica. It'll probably end up being the standard biopic, but it does make me realise something about other bands' biopics - that they tend to be about groups that maintain consistent lineups (with maybe the occasional replacement member during periods of crisis or someone who leaves before they get famous), presumably because a film demands a cast of characters that an audience can connect with so it's easier to do that when the lineup stays the same the whole way through. Meanwhile, Metallica has some notorious lineup changes that definitely inform how its narrative plays out - you can practically build a three-act structure going from Burton to Newstead to...nobody during the St. Anger sessions (and Trujillo would be the re-introduction of stability) so that would be an interesting aspect in and of itself. The other thing that gets me is that the Metallica story more or less seems to climax with the events depicted in Some Kind of Monster that led to the creation of their worst album, St. Anger. After all, it would only have to go up from there and (as far as I can tell) it's more or less been smooth sailing from there. So I guess it's liable to end up sticking to convention for the most part, but it at least sounds like it could be different enough.