The MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women Countdown: Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...

The MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women Countdown:
Preliminary Thread

Yep, we're doing this.

The usual countdown rules apply. Make a list of 25 of the best and/or your favourite films and send them in by 11:59 p.m. AEST on March 31st. Lists may or may not be accepted after that deadline depending on how I'm feeling.

Now, in keeping with how this countdown focuses on a markedly different criteria to the previous countdowns, there was one issue that was cause for much debate and discussion in the earlier thread - the question of how to accommodate films that were co-directed by both male and female directors. It felt like including such films might dilute the importance of focusing on films directed solely by women, but excluding them also felt like it would invalidate the work of the female co-directors in these particular teams. After much deliberation and discussion, I have ultimately decided that the countdown will focus exclusively on films where the directors are female.

Other than that, not many other ground rules to cover. Per the earlier discussion, any films that have been directed by transgender women are eligible for voting (this extends to films that were made prior to their coming out as transgender, so yes, you can vote for The Matrix). Anthology films with more than two directors of different genders will be approached on a case-by-case basis, but I expect them to be outliers. If there's any other considerations I've missed, please feel free to mention them.

With all that out of the way, let's make some lists.

EDIT: Now including a list of users who have submitted eligible ballots...

sarah f
gbgoodies
frightened inmate no 2
jai90
rauldc14
jiraffejustin
Captain Spaulding
Miss Vicky
re93animator
HashtagBrownies
Ms. M
cat_sidhe
Okay
Citizen Rules
mark f
dadgumblah
77topaz
Fabulous
I. Rex
Yoda
urkillinmesmalls
mojofilter
The Rodent
TheUsualSuspect
edarsenal
cricket
Thursday Next
Chypmunk
seanc
Camo
Siddon
Velvet

That's way too convoluted Iro. Just decide whether you want co-directed films in your Countdown or not. It's not a controversial thing like Trans Directors, it's a much simpler decision to make IMO. Up to you but i barely took that two lists thing in and i won't read it again haha.

Good to see you start the thread

Sorry for posting so many times in a row i'll stop, but i'm running a Women Directors Hall of Fame - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=52346

There's nine members so far would be cool if we got 1-3 more. Read the first post in the thread anyone is more than welcome, could help with this Countdown.

And I already explained the reason why I honestly couldn't decide on one or the other. This way, I'm letting the people decide.

And I already explained the reason why I honestly couldn't decide on one or the other. This way, I'm letting the people decide.
I vote include them. Someone said excluding them seems like punishing the Woman, or something like that. Obviously there's the inverse argument that a man is getting partial credit for her work and the #1 film could be partially directed by a man. Still think it's worse excluding her work personally but i'd definitely get if you rule the other way.

So no decision will actually be made and you'll produce two separate countdowns - am I understanding this correctly? If I've got that right it seems like a lot of extra work purely to avoid making a decision and I do then wonder what Yods will do about making them 'official' or not.

Whatever - at least I'm capable of making a decision.

Easy - I'd allow co-directed films included because then people can always use their own ballots as a personal choice of whether or not to include them in exactly the same way transgender have been included but anyone that disagrees with that can simply exclude them from their own ballot.

Fair point - I thought that I had acknowledged that very line of thinking:

Ideally, everyone would submit both lists where applicable, but ultimately I leave it up to you to decide what you do or do not submit.
The co-director list also felt like a bit of a fail-safe option in case the solo-director list didn't garner enough votes to make for a full countdown (which seemed very likely considering how the idea had received more vocal opposition than every other countdown), so that thought went into the separate-countdown decision. Maybe this thread does need a poll added so the people can decide on it without having to go to the effort of making two slightly-different lists (and more importantly save me having to do two separate counts).

You did acknowledged it yes but as you also subsequently acknowledge your 'solution' may lead to two separate countdowns which imo is far from ideal (not least for the position it puts Yods in when it comes to thoughts of possibly making this aggregation of views an 'official checkable list'). If you don't wish to make a decision yourself then yes a poll would at least allow one to be made. I'll happily put a list in that complies with whatever the outcome of any decision is but in the absence of any decision being reached I'll just sit it out.

The "Top 100 Action" countdown didn't become an official list either and it was a single countdown with 100 entries, so I'm not sure exactly how the non-decade ones get certified or not.

The person to address that to is obviously Yods himself. I'd hope this one could be made official once completed. I ddn't take part in the Action one but unless I remember incorrectly (perfectly possibly with my ever decreasing supply of brain cells) it was more of an ad-hoc affair than most.

Hi. Reminder that I only get a notification with a tagging, so feel free to tag me if you need clarification on something.

Technically we can add whatever, but I'd like to add just one list per list, so to speak. But that's a lesser consideration than getting a reasonable amount of participation; that should be the primary concern, I think. And we know from experience that it can be surprisingly hard to get people to submit lists, even when they want to, even when they're given time, and even when the curator does a great job. And this has gotten harder both as we've gone earlier in time and as we've gotten into more specialty lists, of which this is probably the most specialized yet. So I think requiring two is really going to exacerbate that problem.

All that said, it's still up to the curator. But just as a user, I think letting people include them or not individually is the most elegant solution.

All that said, it's still up to the curator. But just as a user, I think letting people include them or not individually is the most elegant solution.
This.

I'll personally exclude both films directed by transgender people and co-directed films (with men, unless the man's input as a director is minimal), but I accept that others might feel differently about this.
Therefore making people decide for themselves seems like the best option.