Movie Tab II

Tools    

I got dizzy during the trailer at the theater so I will probably skip it.
That's what I was seriously worried about, but didn't happen. Harcore Harry is like watching a friend play a truly entertaining video game, while.using a ton of cheat codes. It's kind of gimmicky but I was entertained the whole way through

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I just did a review/podcast/rant about Alice in the Cities in case anybody's interested. I can't say I'm particularly content with it, but since I made it, why not share it?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0L8YFfperpJ

This was made spontaneously since I couldn't get this film out of my head.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
300 masterpieces, huh? I'll continue listening.

EDIT - You called Alice in the Cities "transcendental" but I think what you mean is actually transcendent. I know - English is a tough language. That word you'd probably also apply to Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire. I liked your "podcast". It seemed very heartfelt and showed your honest love for the kind of movies which "move" you. It was also interesting to hear you speak in English - good job. I would recommend next time you include some speaking in Polish (maybe in the intro or farewell), so we can hear the difference in how you speak and how fast you speak in your native tongue.

Care for some gopher?
Suddenly (Lewis Allen, 1954) -

Scanners (David Cronenberg, 1981) -

Recent Watches (Ranked):
Scarlet Street (Lang, 1945)-

Sunset Blvd (Wilder, 1950)-
-
No Time for Sergeants (TELEPLAY, 1955)-

Kiss me Deadly (Aldrich, 1955)-

No Time for Sergeants (Leroy, 1958)-
-
M. Hulot's Holiday (Tati, 1953) -

Kansas City Confidential (Karlson, 1952)-
-

I will expand on Sunset Blvd in a later post, my thoughts on Scarlet Street, KC Confidential, and Kiss me Deadly are in the 2nd film noir HoF. This was a superb set of viewings

I just did a review/podcast/rant about Alice in the Cities in case anybody's interested. I can't say I'm particularly content with it, but since I made it, why not share it?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0L8YFfperpJ

This was made spontaneously since I couldn't get this film out of my head.
I enjoyed that Minio. It was nice to hear you so passionate about a film. I think of you as a cinephile but your personality here comes across glib at times, so it was great to hear what gets you emotionally invested in a film. I will try and check out Alice In The Cities sooner rather than later. I loved Paris, Texas and thought Wings Of Desire was very good despite it losing me a bit in the final third. Hopefully Alice will connect with me the way it did you. Do more of these, that was fun.

Oh, and 300 masterpieces sounds good to me, as long as Shawshank is included.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Hate for Hate (Domenico Paolella, 1967)
+
The Silent Stranger (Vance Lewis [Luigi Vanzi], 1968)

Legally Blondes (Savage Steve Holland, 2009)

Donald’s Golf Game (Jack King, 1938)

Donald is quite happy with his golf game until his nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie turn up.
Red's Dream (John Lasseter, 1987)
+
Accidental Love aka Nailed (Steven Greene [David O. Russell], 2015)

From the Other Side (Chantal Akerman, 2003)

the snake pit (Anatole Litvak, 1948)

Mental patient Olivia de Havilland suffers from both poor memory and paranoia, which doctor Leo Genn painstakingly tries to treat.
A Bullet for Sandoval (Julio Buchs, 1969)

Red Sun (Terence Young, 1971)
+
The First Traveling Saleslady (Arthur Lubin, 1956)

Kill Zone 2 aka SPL 2: A Time for Consequences (Cheang Pou-soi, 2015)
+
The good guys (Tony Jaa and Wu Jing) take on chief bad guy Zhang Jin and his men in a spectacular penthouse.
Nob Hill (Henry Hathaway, 1945)
+
Light of My Eyes (Giuseppe Piccioni, 2003)

From the East (Chantal Akerman, 1994)

Tampopo (Jûzô Itami, 1985)

The infamous egg yolk exchange scene with two incidental sensual characters (Kôji Yakusho & Fukumi Kuroda).
The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend (Preston Sturges, 1949)
+
Free State of Jones (Gary Ross, 2016)

Hart to Hart: Crimes of the Hart (Peter Roger Hunt, 1994)

Queen Christina (Rouben Mamoulian, 1933)

Queen Christina (Greta Garbo) of Sweden, who’s been raised as a boy, , promises her lady-in-waiting (Elizabeth Allen) that she’ll take her away for two or three days, but before she can, she meets and falls in love with the Spanish envoy (John Gilbert), who mistakes her for a man from her attire and thus they share a bed, the only one left in the snowbound inn at which they’re staying.

I was never a fan boy so I figured a rewatch might be a mistake, it wasn't. Had more laughs than I thought it would. I really forgot how funny Moranis was in this and Murray's deadpan humor pleased me. The last half hour was horrendous and was what I was afraid of throughout. Uninteresting set pieces that felt extremely dated and very unfunny

Thanks for you encouragement, mark f and seanc.

Kinky gif, mark. Tampopo is one of my 80's Japan favourites. The yolk
scene was parodied in Dead Sushi:

I quite enjoyed recording the previous "podcast", so I made an attempt at this again, trying to speak faster and more coherently. If you'd like to find out about the grandfather of TV series, or the ancestors of Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad, then give it a listen.

I highly recommend an incredible 1919 photoplay series
The Trial of the Octopus

http://vocaroo.com/i/s05xd5j8QZI2

EDIT: It's incredible. For the whole time I thought there's a word 'trial' in the title, whereas it's 'trail'. I read it dozen of times every time the episode started and I still thought it's trial. Thanks, for correction, mark f.

Care for some gopher?
Body Double (Brian De Palma, 1984) -
+
Shane (George Stevens, 1953) -

Let the night air cool you off
I watched five westerns this week:

Johnny Guitar (1954; Nicholas Ray) -
-

Blazing Saddles (1974; Mel Brooks) -

For a Few Dollars More (1965; Sergio Leone) -

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966; Sergio Leone) -

Red Sun (1971; Terence Young) -

It's pretty hard to rate Johnny Guitar. It's such an "out there" movie; it plays by its own set of rules. It doesn't look like other westerns, it doesn't feel like other westerns. I totally understand the people who hate it, but I find it to be brilliant. Blazing Saddles is very charming, and quite funny. It's easy to compare it to the Looney Tunes, even before realizing that it pays homage to Looney Tunes. If those western Looney Tunes were rated R, they would be Blazing Saddles. That is some of the highest possible praise for comedy. The Dollars trilogy has been covered enough, and I don't really need to say much about it. Indio's flashback scene makes me wish Sergio Leone would have directed a slasher though. That would have been amazing. That scene was shot like the coolest slasher that had a six shooter instead of a knife; complete with a pov shot of the killer. Red Sun is a movie that I wish was so much better. I want it to be a great movie, so I can recommend it to people. The cast almost sound like a joke. Charles Bronson, Alain Delon, and Toshiro Mifune walk into a western. I wish the punchline could be: and it was fantastic. The final action sequences are pretty nifty though, with some cool samurai slashing and such.

I quite enjoyed recording the previous "podcast", so I made an attempt at this again, trying to speak faster and more coherently. If you'd like to find out about the grandfather of TV series, or the ancestors of Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad, then give it a listen.

I highly recommend an incredible 1919 photoplay series
The Trial of the Octopus

http://vocaroo.com/i/s05xd5j8QZI2

EDIT: It's incredible. For the whole time I thought there's a word 'trial' in the title, whereas it's 'trail'. I read it dozen of times every time the episode started and I still thought it's trial. Thanks, for correction, mark f.
Keep doing these, man. I'll keep listening. Your movie watching selections should allow you to keep making interesting podcasts or whatever you decide on calling them. I enjoy listening to someone talk about Wim Wenders or weird early movie serials more than I enjoy listening to someone talk about new movies.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966; Sergio Leone) -
I'll never be able to understand this...

I'm in the mood for Westerns too though. Right now I'm watching Meek's Cutoff.

I'll never be able to understand this...

I'm in the mood for Westerns too though. Right now I'm watching Meek's Cutoff.
Meek's Cutoff is great too.

As far as the GBU is concerned, I don't know, man. I just think it's a really cool movie, and I get excited so often during it that it's hard for me not to love it. If that doesn't apply to you, you won't like it. That's fine. How do you feel about Leone's other films?

Meek's Cutoff is great too.

As far as the GBU is concerned, I don't know, man. I just think it's a really cool movie, and I get excited so often during it that it's hard for me not to love it. If that doesn't apply to you, you won't like it. That's fine. How do you feel about Leone's other films?
I'm not a fan of Leone. The only one of his movies I like is Once Upon a Time in the West. I think by then he learned how to make movies competently, but his older work was amateurish. His style is very conventional and boring. He lacks originality and creativity. A Fist Full of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More were alright, but forgettable. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Clint Eastwood is a pretty lousy actor, but everyone else in the movie was even worse, especially the guy who played The Ugly. Usually I notice enthusiastic up-and-comers that do better than the stars out of sheer enthusiasm, but GBU had not one single shred of talent in it's cast. The camera work was bad, but the editing was worse. The way the movie was cut feels like a bad student film. I mean like actually worse than the worst student film I've seen. There are student films with glaringly obvious mistakes in the final cut, and they don't feel half as bad. The music was to Westerns what every movie today is to Inception. I mean like the way everyone just outright steals the Inception bass is like the way GBU butchered the classic Western harmonica sound. Once Upon a Time in the West has the same music, but done with proficiency, whereas GBU just sort of throws it out there like they have no idea what they're even trying to do.

I get that some people like it for its cheesiness, and that so good it's bad factor, but I don't get it when people legitimately like it for what it is. You've got pretty good taste and are knowledgeable about cinema. I can't picture you actually being into it that way. I can picture you falling off the sofa with laughter. But I can't picture you wearing sun glasses and a leather jacket while watching it with a straight face and recommending it to other people as a great Western.

This coming from the guy with V For Vendetta in his top 100.
Lol, well you're not exactly one to talk Iro. What with your impeccable taste and all.

I'm not a fan of Leone. The only one of his movies I like is Once Upon a Time in the West. I think by then he learned how to make movies competently, but his older work was amateurish. His style is very conventional and boring. He lacks originality and creativity. A Fist Full of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More were alright, but forgettable. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Clint Eastwood is a pretty lousy actor, but everyone else in the movie was even worse, especially the guy who played The Ugly. Usually I notice enthusiastic up-and-comers that do better than the stars out of sheer enthusiasm, but GBU had not one single shred of talent in it's cast. The camera work was bad, but the editing was worse. The way the movie was cut feels like a bad student film. I mean like actually worse than the worst student film I've seen. There are student films with glaringly obvious mistakes in the final cut, and they don't feel half as bad. The music was to Westerns what every movie today is to Inception. I mean like the way everyone just outright steals the Inception bass is like the way GBU butchered the classic Western harmonica sound. Once Upon a Time in the West has the same music, but done with proficiency, whereas GBU just sort of throws it out there like they have no idea what they're even trying to do.

I get that some people like it for its cheesiness, and that so good it's bad factor, but I don't get it when people legitimately like it for what it is. You've got pretty good taste and are knowledgeable about cinema. I can't picture you actually being into it that way. I can picture you falling off the sofa with laughter. But I can't picture you wearing sun glasses and a leather jacket while watching it with a straight face and recommending it to other people as a great Western.

I appreciate you responding to why you dislike the movie in so much depth. I don't really agree with any of that stuff. I think that what you said is pretty harsh, but I also understand that my opinion of the movie Avatar is pretty similar to your opinion of this movie. So, I get it.

I don't have the energy to give a detailed response for all of your criticisms tonight, but here are some of my thoughts:

- The acting isn't all that important to me in this type of movie. The same way as Johnny Guitar, where all the acting seems really ridiculous, but it works in the context of the movie. I know you place a lot of importance on acting, so it totally makes sense to me that you don't like this movie. I do love Clint Eastwood though. Not because of his acting at all, but I think he does have "screen presence." Which you could say is just another way of saying he can't act, but there is something to him that works for me. But I think of Clint Eastwood as a tool of everybody who put in the creative work of the movie. He's a tall guy, and has "that look." Then they have him striking matches with his thumbnail, with his boot, with whatever else. It's just this larger than life character to me, and I like it a lot.

I love GBU not for any of the technical or tangible reasons, but more for intangible reasons.