You favorite and least favorite Star Trek movie.

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Wrath Of Khan

My least favorite would be one of the Next Generation ones, though they were all so uncinematic to me it's hard to say which. I think maybe Insurrection was the least cinematic of all the films, so maybe that one? The Next Gen cast was just never cinema-worthy. Patrick Stewart, sure, but while the OG Trek cast seemed to work really well on the big-screen, no one other than Stewart from NG should ever have been there (I honestly didn't think any of them worked on the small screen).

The newer ones are ok, I guess, but have that flashy, shiny, contemporary Hollywood feel and the second one kinda sucked.

I don't know how good it actually is, but I like Star Trek: The Motion Picture probably the best. I appreciate it taking what always seemed to me a camp television show (I have never really sat down and watched the original) and fused it with the more magisterial and mysterious sci-fi approach of 2001. It is a weird fit, but I like that about it.

I finally got around to Wrath of Khan a few months ago. And I think it is a fine piece of narrative filmmaking. As someone who is not versed whatsoever in these characters, it still managed to let me in and understand the Star Trek world. And the ending is very strong. I can't say I love the movie though, since (as has already been stated) there is kind of a utilitarian approach to the direction of the film. It has no particular cinematic identity, so while I mostly enjoyed it, it lacked that kind of filmed poetry I look for.

I actually enjoyed both of the crappy remakes. They are both completely disposable, and meant absolutely nothing to me, but in regards to entertainment value, I give them both a clean passing grade.

There is only one Star Trek movie I've seen that I had a visceral dislike towards. I have no idea which one it was though, since I saw it probably thirty years ago, and remember nothing about it. I think it kind of fomented my dislike of the idea of ever being a 'Trekkie' though. And probably is one of the reasons I steered clear of the show all of these years, even though I don't even know the name of it.

I don't know how you would classify me in terms of Star Trek fandom. I've been to fanfests and met four of the TNG cast (Sirtis, Dorn, Frakes and Spiner). I've seen the original series, TNG and DS9 but I've never seen any of the animated series or Voyager, Enterprise, Discovery, Short Treks, Picard or Lower Decks. The one I'd love to check out is Discovery but I refuse to pay for another streaming service. I liked the movie reboot and never entertained the notion that it was heresy. I even really liked Into Darkness.

My list from best to worst: (The top 4 are close and the bottom three are basically interchangeable)

1. Star Trek (2009)
2. The Wrath of Khan
3. First Contact
4. The Voyage Home

5. Into Darkness
6. The Motion Picture
7. The Search for Spock
8. Generations
9. Beyond
10. Nemesis

11. The Undiscovered Country
12. The Final Frontier
13. Insurrection

Hmm, let's see...

Favorite: Star Trek (2009)
Least favorite: Into Darkness

That, and Beyond, sums up my Star Trek experience

Victim of The Night
I don't know how good it actually is, but I like Star Trek: The Motion Picture probably the best. I appreciate it taking what always seemed to me a camp television show (I have never really sat down and watched the original) and fused it with the more magisterial and mysterious sci-fi approach of 2001. It is a weird fit, but I like that about it.
I also like TMP quite a bit, probably my second-favorite of all the films.
And I like that it was directed by the guy who directed The Body Snatcher.

WARNING: "not very spoilery" spoilers below
(And two other obscure films called West Side Story and The Sound Of Music.)

Victim of The Night
Hmm, let's see...

Favorite: Star Trek (2009)
Least favorite: Into Darkness

That, and Beyond, sums up my Star Trek experience
I would recommend you try out Wrath Of Khan. Story-wise, it's probably the best one they ever made.
If you like that, then I would watch TMP, The Voyage Home, and The Undiscovered Country.

I would recommend you try out Wrath Of Khan. Story-wise, it's probably the best one they ever made.
If you like that, then I would watch TMP, The Voyage Home, and The Undiscovered Country.
I have plans of diving into the franchise head-first. I got my eye on the original series, which is streaming on several platforms, and then the films, so we'll see.

Being the completist that I am, I doubt I would check out Wrath of Khan without seeing The Motion Picture first

Victim of The Night
I have plans of diving into the franchise head-first. I got my eye on the original series, which is streaming on several platforms, and then the films, so we'll see.

Being the completist that I am, I doubt I would check out Wrath of Khan without seeing The Motion Picture first
I understand that but it is not necessary to see the latter before the former as TMP doesn't like reboot the series for the screen, it actually picks up the crew basically in real time from the end of the series a decade earlier and Khan doesn't really require you to have seen TMP at all.
To be clear, I like TMP quite a bit but it has a very different feel than the rest of the films, which is why I recommended starting with the most narratively strong film.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Wrath Of Khan

My least favorite would be one of the Next Generation ones, though they were all so uncinematic to me it's hard to say which. I think maybe Insurrection was the least cinematic of all the films, so maybe that one? The Next Gen cast was just never cinema-worthy. Patrick Stewart, sure, but while the OG Trek cast seemed to work really well on the big-screen, no one other than Stewart from NG should ever have been there (I honestly didn't think any of them worked on the small screen).

The newer ones are ok, I guess, but have that flashy, shiny, contemporary Hollywood feel and the second one kinda sucked.
Something like this. Wrath of Khan's the best, the worst is something like Insurrection but it's in the same bunch as Final Frontier and Star Trek Beyond.

I'll always defend First Contact, it was so far ahead of any other TNG films though.

You might want to watch the original Star Trek TV pilot, The Cage before starting the TV series. But first visit Memory Alpha and yes that place name is part of ST lore, but I meant the web data base site.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...riginal_Series

You might want to watch the original Star Trek TV pilot, The Cage before starting the TV series. But first visit Memory Alpha and yes that place name is part of ST lore, but I meant the web data base site.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...riginal_Series
Yeah, I've been told to go by production date is? not by air date (was it you?) Memory Alpha is a great source. They are the parent/inspiration site of Wiki 24, where I've been collaborating for a while now.

Just watched star trek first contact, has to go in the top 3 for me, a very good star trek film, the borg are really an inflappable nemesis

Well, Star Trek II is the best. Sadly, they keep trying to remake it. Revenge Trek is a little played out now.

The worst? Nemesis wasn't great, but "The Search for God" was pretty lame too.

The first four films are worth saving and the one where the Borg interfere with first contact was OK.

Yeah, I've been told to go by production date is? not by air date (was it you?) Memory Alpha is a great source. They are the parent/inspiration site of Wiki 24, where I've been collaborating for a while now.
It wasn't me, but I was thinking of posting again and suggesting you watch by production date. Whatever you do happy watching.

Your mention of 2001 reminded me that I have this theory that ST-TMP is an amalgam of 3 previous movies: 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968), Solaris (1972) and Run Silent, Run Deep (1958).

Instead of outlining it all again, I'll let you guys draw the comparisons!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Favourite: Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan
Least favourite: Star Trek: Generations

Much preferred the original tv series to any of the fillums tbh.

I like Star Trek: Generations, mostly for the scenes with Kirk and Picard.

And I agree with you that the original TV series is still the best Star Trek.

I finally got around to Wrath of Khan a few months ago. And I think it is a fine piece of narrative filmmaking. As someone who is not versed whatsoever in these characters, it still managed to let me in and understand the Star Trek world. And the ending is very strong. I can't say I love the movie though, since (as has already been stated) there is kind of a utilitarian approach to the direction of the film. It has no particular cinematic identity, so while I mostly enjoyed it, it lacked that kind of filmed poetry I look for.

I think one of the reasons why my opinion of ST1 and ST2 is reversed from yours is because of the characters, rather than the movies themselves.

In the first movie, the characters were out of character. They lacked the personality and the interactions between them that made them so special in the original series.

But in the second movie, it felt like they were back to their old selves, and they were the same people that we loved in the TV series.

I don't know how you would classify me in terms of Star Trek fandom. I've been to fanfests and met four of the TNG cast (Sirtis, Dorn, Frakes and Spiner). I've seen the original series, TNG and DS9 but I've never seen any of the animated series or Voyager, Enterprise, Discovery, Short Treks, Picard or Lower Decks. The one I'd love to check out is Discovery but I refuse to pay for another streaming service.

You might be able to find the "Star Trek: Discovery" DVDs cheap if you watch for them online. I found a bundle of "Discovery" seasons 1 and 2 (new and sealed) for $10 with free shipping on Mercari.

Now I'm hoping to find a similar deal on "Picard" for around the same price.