Rank The Indiana Jones Movies

Tools    

The Ark and Grail are both biblical and the Sankara Stones are East Indian/Hindu. The Crystal Skull is more akin to the cosmos.

I may have mentioned it before, but for the final relic Indy to track down I think the Pazuzu statue could be very cool, something dark and eerie.

Pazuzu is rooted in Assyrian/Babylonian mythology, which I don't think has been covered in the series. Could be something very cool and different, and a creepy artifact like that would be fitting for Indy's final adventure.

The Ark and Grail are both biblical and the Sankara Stones are East Indian/Hindu. The Crystal Skull is more akin to the cosmos.
I wasn't including the Skull, but my idea was that it's possible the same thing was behind the Ark, Grail and Sankara stones, despite the geographical difference.

I may have mentioned it before, but for the final relic Indy to track down I think the Pazuzu statue could be very cool, something dark and eerie.

Pazuzu is rooted in Assyrian/Babylonian mythology, which I don't think has been covered in the series. Could be something very cool and different, and a creepy artifact like that would be fitting for Indy's final adventure.
I liked the Exorcist prequel (both versions), which had Father Merrin being very Indiana Jones I suppose.

I've seen Exorcist: The Beginning and it definitely reminded me a lot of Indy in some ways.
I thought the setup was very clever. They did it like a western, and I remember on the commentary the mention of Stellan Skarsgård's walk being like John Wayne's. I'm not sure whether that was intentional or a happy accident. He definitely creates the same tone as Max von Sydow, I think. Dominion was my favourite of the two versions.

It would be novel to see Indiana Jones in something relating to the Devil, that's for sure. To some extent that's what Temple of Doom felt like, even though as I now understand the representation of Kali, amongst other things, was horribly misinformed.

A Devil-oriented relic and adventure could be something very cool for the next film. I'd love for the fifth movie to be along the lines of Temple Of Doom.

A Devil-oriented relic and adventure could be something very cool for the next film. I'd love for the fifth movie to be along the lines of Temple Of Doom.
The Disney situation is puzzling because Spielberg's clearly going to be involved, I'm assuming as the director. But will Lucas be coming up with the idea? Neither of them feel that Temple of Doom was a good idea in retrospect because it was too dark and I think looking over at Star Wars, The Force Awakens is pretty dark. I like the idea – we've seen relics connected to God, why not his opposite? But I just think they'd recoil from it.

The backlash TOD got at the time of release was why Spielberg and Lucas tried to distance themselves from it after and wanted to amend for it when they made TLC. Still, I'd like to see a darker and bolder adventure for Indy's final film.

The backlash TOD got at the time of release was why Spielberg and Lucas tried to distance themselves from it after and wanted to amend for it when they made TLC. Still, I'd like to see a darker and bolder adventure for Indy's final film.
I agree, we've had the froth of Indy coming back – and Crystal Skull was more like a Greatest Hits than a convincingly new story. Something a bit darker would be good.

I agree. Last Crusade is a favorite of many but while I like it very much I'd prefer if the next film took a cue from TOD and went for something darker and different.

I agree. Last Crusade is a favorite of many but while I like it very much I'd prefer if the next film took a cue from TOD and went for something darker and different.
Last Crusade was great, and it's the only one I saw at the cinema, which made a world of difference to its impact on me as a viewer.

It's been a while but I think I can speak honestly about these movies,

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark -

2. Last Crusade -

3. Temple of Doom -

4. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull -

1. Raiders
2. Temple of Doom
3. Last Crusade

Crystal Skull is a non-film, Shia LaBeouf swinging from vines with monkeys, WTF.

The swinging monkeys bit doesn't bother me anymore when I watch it now but back then it was definitely a big WTF? moment.

The swinging monkeys bit doesn't bother me anymore when I watch it now but back then it was definitely a big WTF? moment.
It still annoys me that Spielberg went for that much CGI, and the film ended up looking like a bookend on Lucas's Star Wars prequels. Let's see what gets rectified for the next one.

The next film should take a cue from The Force Awakens with using practical and real-time effects as much as possible and only using CGI when absolutely necessary for scenes where doing certain types of effects practically is overly difficult if not impossible.

The next film should take a cue from The Force Awakens with using practical and real-time effects as much as possible and only using CGI when absolutely necessary for scenes where doing certain types of effects practically is overly difficult if not impossible.
It really does make a massive difference.

It sure does. TFA I think had some of the best usage of special effects in a while, using techniques old and new.

Wonder if this year we'll get the official announcement about Indy 5 happening? Perhaps within the coming months.