SONG TOURNAMENT 27

Tools    

Round 1, Part 2

1. Gerry Rafferty - Night Owl vs. Van Morrison - Caravan
I want to pick both. They're songs, it's not like they're our babies

2. Bob Seger - Come to Poppa vs. Raydio-You Can't Change That

3. Ariel Pink - Bubblegum Dreams vs. Vitamin C - Graduation (Friends Forever)

4. Ghostpoet - That Ring Down the Drain Kind of Feeling vs. The Lapse - H'a chi

5. Vince Staples - Rain Come Down vs. Robbie Williams - Come Undone

6. Body Rockers - I like the way you move vs. Van Halen - Dance the Night Away

7. Denise Lasalle - Lick It Before You Stick It vs. Mikromusic - Tak mi sie nie chce

8. Paul Revere & The Raiders-Cherokee People vs. Odyssey - Going Back to My Roots

7. Denise Lasalle - Lick It Before You Stick It vs. Mikromusic - Tak mi sie nie chce

8. Paul Revere & The Raiders-Cherokee People vs. Odyssey - Going Back to My Roots

ROUND 1, PART 1

1. Coldplay - Hymn for the Weekend vs. Calexico - Black Heart
2. The Lonely Island - Finest Girl (Bin Laden Song) vs. Puretone - Addicted To Bass
3. Donna Summer - Hot Stuff vs. Men at Work - Who Can It Be Now?
4. St. Vincent - Savior vs. Bon Jovi - Bed of Roses
5. Roxette - The Look vs. Barry Adamson - Black Amour
6. The Plasmatics - The Damned vs. Kiss - Then She Kissed Me
7. Chinese Football - Electronic Girl vs. Army Of Lovers - Crucified
8. The Left Bank-Walk Away Renee vs. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Midnight

I missed round one, that was fast. Okay, I can at least break these ties.

2. The Lonely Island - Finest Girl (Bin Laden Song) vs. Puretone - Addicted To Bass

Puretone - Addicted to Bass

Sorry, but I can't stand The Lonely Island. I've heard that song on the radio and it's like torture. Puretone were somewhat interesting at least so they get my vote.

3. Donna Summer - Hot Stuff vs. Men at Work - Who Can It Be Now?

Men at Work - Who Can it Be Now?

Both of these songs were interesting, but that sax stole it for me.

Now I have some listening to do for round 2. I'm glad a couple people liked my Chinese Football song, but sad it lost to a song that I can't stand. Oh well. At least people seem to be liking The Lapse.

ROUND 1, PART 2

1. Gerry Rafferty - Night Owl vs. Van Morrison - Caravan-The first is just average for me. I like the other a little more.

2. Bob Seger - Come to Poppa vs. Raydio-You Can't Change That-Most Bob Seger songs would make me vote against my own nom. I'm just not a big fan of that one.

3. Ariel Pink - Bubblegum Dreams vs. Vitamin C - Graduation (Friends Forever)-I thought the first was a little too redundant but the other is not my type.

4. Ghostpoet - That Ring Down the Drain Kind of Feeling vs. The Lapse - H'a chi-Disliked both so I'll vote for the one I can't understand.

5. Vince Staples - Rain Come Down vs. Robbie Williams - Come Undone-I don't like talking in my music.

6. Body Rockers - I like the way you move vs. Van Halen - Dance the Night Away-High quality VH.

7. Denise Lasalle - Lick It Before You Stick It vs. Mikromusic - Tak mi sie nie chce-Gotta like Denise.

8. Paul Revere & The Raiders-Cherokee People vs. Odyssey - Going Back to My Roots-So proud to live, SO PROUD TO DIE!

ROUND 1, PART 2

ROUND 1, PART 3

1. Hercules and Love Affair - Blind vs. Genesis - I Can't Dance
Wasn't crazy about the first one. The second was not my favourite Gensis song by a long shot.

2. William Shatner - Common People vs. Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - S.O.B.
I love those William Shatner covers. I liked the second one too.

3. Motorpsycho - On a Plate vs. Michael Jackson - Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
Easy vote. Hairy Norwegian 3 piece with a dirty heavy rock song for the win here for me. Bonus point for left handed bassist whose first name is Bent. I love Motorpsycho.

4. Taylor Dayne - Tell It To My Heart vs. Kojo Funds ft. Raye - Check
Whoah, 80's classic I haven't heard in a while.

5. Richard Dawson - Scientist vs. The Cure - A Forest
Had to use another link for The Cure. Great song. Bonus points for the guy in the comments section freaking out about people saying how much Robert Smith looks like Ben Affleck in this video.

6. Three Shades of Dirty - Needing Ground vs. United States of Electronica - Open Your Eyes
Both are new to me, and I found both appealing to some degree. The first had the edge.

7. Ciara featuring Justin Timberlake - Love Sex Magic vs. Bjork - Play Dead
One of my favourite Björk songs. I love her.

8. Van Halen - Love Walks In vs. Jim Carrey - Cold Dead Hand
New for me.

ROUND 1, PART 1

I don't know how I went 30 years without ever hearing of The Plasmatics, but since discovering them by accident, I've become a big fan. Love their blend of punk and metal, and Wendy O. Williams had an incredible voice. I don't think I've ever heard another female be able to sing in such bad-ass, throat-destroying fashion. She makes most male metal singers sound like little bitches in comparison. Plus she had a killer f**king body.)[/size][/color]
Fun fact:

Wendy O. Williams worked down the street from me at the local health food store "Parkade Health - Manchester, CT", before taking her own life. She must've washed up and shipped out near the end. What a short lived and powerful career, though!

I didn't, no. Her time at that shop was about 3 years before I moved back into town from Vernon. I heard about her being there from a few scenester friends, and then again when asking the shop owner, who seemed reserved about disclosing her history there. All good. I get it. Cool little tidbit. Tragic, but cool. Cool because she lead a normal life at the end. May she rest in peace.

ROUND 1, PART 3

2. William Shatner - Common People vs. Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - S.O.B.
6. Three Shades of Dirty - Needing Ground vs. United States of Electronica - Open Your Eyes

ROUND 1, PART 3

1. Hercules and Love Affair - Blind vs. Genesis - I Can't Dance-Like Genesis but they have some songs I dislike. That's one of them.

2. William Shatner - Common People vs. Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - S.O.B.-That second song was pretty cool and I also enjoyed the first.

3. Motorpsycho - On a Plate vs. Michael Jackson - Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'-Don't mind that Jacko song though.

4. Taylor Dayne - Tell It To My Heart vs. Kojo Funds ft. Raye - Check-I wanted to bang Taylor Dayne when that song came out. Some things never change.

5. Richard Dawson - Scientist vs. The Cure - A Forest-The Cure is just too good and I was expecting Richard Dawson from The Family Feud.

6. Three Shades of Dirty - Needing Ground vs. United States of Electronica - Open Your Eyes-I liked the second until the singing started.

7. Ciara featuring Justin Timberlake - Love Sex Magic vs. Bjork - Play Dead-Really disliked the first.

8. Van Halen - Love Walks In vs. Jim Carrey - Cold Dead Hand-I did enjoy the second.

Fun fact:

Wendy O. Williams worked down the street from me at the local health food store "Parkade Health - Manchester, CT", before taking her own life. She must've washed up and shipped out near the end. What a short lived and powerful career, though!
Too much fun!

ROUND 1, PART 3

1. Hercules and Love Affair - Blind vs. Genesis - I Can't Dance - I'm giving it to Geniesis because Genesis, with or without Gabriel, deserves it, regardless of their goofy disposition in earning huge money for being essentially media goofballs back in 1991, writing bogus tunes with no depth. Tony Banks, Rutherford, and the always ballsy Collins are all brialliant, just not in this particular case. Refer to 1969-1978.

4. Taylor Dayne - Tell It To My Heart vs. Kojo Funds ft. Raye - Check - Dude, I can hear this autotune sh$t all day at work when I'm whooping ass like Randall "Tex" Cobb, ninja style. Taylor Dane, bro...Taylor Dane...

5. Richard Dawson - Scientist vs. The Cure - A Forest - Richard Dawson had that whole ambitious arty indie recording thing but, pound for pound, once "A Forest" lights up, forget about it. No contest.

6. Three Shades of Dirty - Needing Ground vs. United States of Electronica - Open Your Eyes - Yeah, I picked a song with auto tune. It's still, a good tune without the auto-tune and video nonsense, but the Three Shades of Dirty takes me out because it has nice, intricate high hat drum work and cool emo vox on top of some groovy proto punk rock beats. Alsmost fusion for the early 2000's. Totally dig this!

7. Ciara featuring Justin Timberlake - Love Sex Magic vs. Bjork - Play Dead - Nah, man. Timberlake. I always hear things about this dude. "Oh, he's a diamond. He's talented!" Yeah, well, maybe, if he's told what to do by a REAL director or producer. But until then, he's just s shcmuck with no balls and his tunes are lightweight. Bjork, on the other hand, is a true visionary. She's sexy, super smart "like a computah!", and definitely knows procuction and hooks, despite her "off the beaten path" approach to songwriting. F%ck Timberlake. That dude is foul. I don't wanna see him kissin' on some skank, anyway. Hey, Justin. Come here and get me an espresso, bitch. Then, when I tell you, hit the key of C#. On my cue, not yours....punk.

8. Van Halen - Love Walks In vs. Jim Carrey - Cold Dead Hand - Ok, so VH with Roth was nostalgic and adventurous, and DLR wrote soem righteous stuffm lyrically. But Hagar, live anyway, was the absolute MAN!...I didn;t like thir adult contempo vibe years back when it came out, but now, I can honestly say that Hagar saved that band from being an 80's trip. He could sing liv without issue, and was a complete pro. He also played rhythm to Eddie's solos and synth work-live, to make up to the studio album sounds that people wanted when they saw the concerts...drinking their zima's and cisco's! Rock on!

ROUND 1, PART 3

At 1:06 when it finally hits