MoFo DVD Hideout Strikes Back

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Hello, I'm Lennon and JRS told me I could post here and I will still psot the artwork in it's corresponding threads

MOST INFO COMES FROM DVDACTIVE.COM

First up; a dvd review of There Will Be Blood

it wasn’t for No Country for Old Men this would’ve been P.T. Anderson’s year. There Will Be Blood was a very strong second place in a very strong year, and there is a very good possibility that future generations will embrace it more ravenously then the Coen brother’s recent triumph. It’s a shame that pop culture is only picking up on the film’s final scene, which out of context isn’t half as shocking. Hopefully this comedic interest means people that would normally avoid hour and a half long period pieces will see and ‘get’ the film. This DVD has big edge enhancement issues, and its extras aren’t really worth the extra bucks. Perhaps, if Anderson’s previous double release of Boogie Nights is any indication, we’ll be seeing a better Blu-ray release, but it also seems entirely possible that Anderson isn’t interested in analyzing his films for us, after all, his last two releases have been entirely without commentary tracks.
(see the link for the rest of the review)

2nd up, Wlt Disney has released the artwork for Dirt, the first season

Third up, DVDactive.com has graced us with a review of Wristcutters: A Love Story

Overall
Wristcutters isn’t a love story for all takers, but it should earn its minor cult status over the next few years. I’m recommending it pretty highly, but fully acknowledge that there will be some folks that hate me for it. Lionsgate’s video treatment is pretty dismal, so hopefully interest in this disc will bring about a Blu-ray release some day down the line. Now if you’ll excuse me, I must avoid the traps set up for me in every corner of this town.
(click link for rest of the review)

In perhaps the biggest news for you fans of V for Vendetta, a Blu-ray release has been announced:

Title: V for Vendetta (IMDb)
Starring: Hugo Weaving
Released: 20th May 2008
SRP: $28.99

Further Details:
Warner Home Video has announced the Blu-ray release of V for Vendetta for the 20th of May, priced at around $28.99. Full specs can be found below, along with the artwork. Unfortunately Warner weren't specific about the audio formats.
  • 2.40:1 Widescreen Transfer (1080p)
  • Audio: English, French, Spanish 5.1
  • Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
  • In-Movie Experience: Director’s Notebook: Re-imagining a Cult Classic for the 21st Century
  • Behind the Story: Designing the Near Future; Remember, Remember: Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot; Freedom! Forever!: Making V for Vendetta; England Prevails: V for Vendetta and the New Wave in Comics
  • Additional Footage: Cat Power Montage (Music Video); Saturday Night Live Digital Short - Natalie Portman SNL
  • Trailers: Theatrical Trailer (Trailer #2); Soundtrack Album Information

In, what maybe my favorite news of today and it is so big it has to be in size 7

FREAKAZOID SEASON 1 IS COMING TO DVD

see my thread on this topic: here

Another story for you Batman fans, and just might help you get those DArk Knight tickets

A BLUE-RAY RELEASE

Title: Batman Begins (IMDb)
Starring: Christian Bale
Released: 8th July 2008
SRP: $28.99

Further Details:
Warner Home Video has announced the Blu-ray release of Batman Begins for the 8th of July, priced at around $28.99. A limited edition gift set will also be available on the 8th, priced at around $49.99. Both releases will include 'The Dark Knight Prologue' (the firs t six minute sof the film), while the gift set also features a Batman Begins motion art lenticular, a 32-page booklet including an all-new DC Comics comic book adaptation of The Dark Knight prologue, exclusive photos, script pages and story boards. The Gift Set will also include five Batman Begins collectible postcards with never-before printed key art from the theatrical release, as well as $7.50 'movie cash' towards the purchase of an adult ticket to see The Dark Knight in theatres. Here's the artwork.

In some other news, The three-time Oscar nominee (that;s right, more than Into the Wild)Men-in-Black is slated for a Blu-ray release:

some details are as follows
  • Will Be released on June 17, 2008
  • Will have the following subtitles Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, English (UK), English (US), French, Indonesian / Bahasa, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish,Thai
  • You can see how they did the special effects
  • Both the theatrical trailer and teaser
  • A trivia-game
  • That song you all love (yeah you) music video
  • Extended and alternated scenes

IMDB plot outline
Men in Black follows the exploits of agents Kay and Jay, members of a top-secret organization established to monitor and police alien activity on Earth. The two Men in Black find themselves in the middle of the deadly plot by an intergalactic terrorist who has arrived on Earth to assassinate two ambassadors from opposing galaxies. In order to prevent worlds from colliding, the MiB must track down the terrorist and prevent the destruction of Earth. It's just another typical day for the Men in Black.

For all of you cult hippies, it looks like there will be a blu-ray release of So I Married an Axe murderer

no special features have been announced yet all I know is that the release date will be Jun 17th

I'll keep you posted

IMDB plot outline:
Charlie MacKenzie is a dedicated San Francisco coffeehouse poet, whose poems revolve around his numerous failed relationships. Every one that ends on his doing because of some weird, inexcusable paranoia. His best friend Tony and mother May can only criticize him for his wrong-doings. But Charlie believes he very well may have found the perfect woman in Harriet, a meat butcher with a heart of gold. But Charlie begins suspecting something about Harriet that may not be so perfect.

All of you fans of indie comedies have something to rejoice about; there is a Juno release coming soon and their is already a review via blu-ray.com

Final words

Juno has been one of the most talked about films of the year. Like it, hate it, or fall somewhere in the middle, you no doubt have an opinion on the movie, but one thing should be close to unanimous: it is very well made and acted, something every film fan should be able to appreciate, respect, and admire. Brimming with edgy, trendy dialogue, a timely (and timeless) story, and well-drawn characters, Juno is definitely a movie worth seeing if you have not already. Those who loved this movie will be most eager to add it to their Blu-ray collection. Sporting fine video and audio quality that both accurately and pleasingly reflect the tone of the story, this Blu-ray edition is not likely to disappoint. The supplements are fairly extensive and entertaining, but their presentation in 480p standard definition proved disappointing. Nevertheless, this Blu-ray disc is bound to find its way into many a collection, and it comes recommended.
(click link for full review)

For all of you fans of horrible comedies, there is a DVD, UMD (wait, they still make those!?) and Blu-ray release scheduled for May 6th.

the special features are as follows:

For the Blu-ray
  • Commentary with the director and writer David Talbert
  • Deleted Scenes (why can't they just deleate the whole movie!?) with commentary
  • Outtakes
  • A Fact Track
For the DVD
  • Commentary with the director and writer David Talbert
  • Deleted Scenes (why can't they just deleate the whole movie!?) with commentary
  • Outtakes
  • A Fact Track
For the UMD
  • None (this is why we don't buy these things)
IMDB PLOT:
Durell and LeeJohn are best friends and bumbling petty criminals. When told they have one week to pay a $17,000 debt or Durell will lose his son, they come up with a desperate scheme to rob their neighborhood church. Instead, they end up spending the night in the presence of the Lord and are forced to deal with much more than they bargained for.

woopsie, thanks

BIG! BIG! NEWS!

FIREFLY TO COME TO BLU-RAY!

full story:
Attention, browncoats: there's no date yet, but Fox says it's planning an extensive Blu-ray release for the TV cult phenomenon 'Firefly.'
That's according to TV Shows on DVD, which recently posted an update reporting that they've received confirmation from the studio that it's currently in the early stages of preparing a major Blu-ray box set release of the short-lived but much-beloved Joss Whedon series.
The online rumor mill first started buzzing a couple of weeks ago, after 'Firefly' cast member Jewel Staite revealed to an Australian convention crowd that she'd recently been contacted by Fox in regards to contributing to a new box set release of the complete 'Firefly' series, though no format was specified.
When TV Shows on DVD approached the studio for comment on the rumors, they were reportedly told by a Fox rep that "news travels fast." The rep went on to confirm that a 'Firefly' Blu-ray release is currently in the early development stages, though supplement details and a street date window were a long way off.
Running for only one season to generally low ratings, 'Firefly' nevertheless has gone on to gain one of the most devoted cult followings in the history of network television. When and if the show does arrive on Blu-ray, however, it won't be the first next-gen appearance for the property. Universal previously release the big-screen 'Firefly' spin-off 'Serenity' on HD DVD back in early 2006 (though at press time the studio has not yet announced plans for a Blu-ray version).
Needless to say, watch this space for news on this developing story.
In the meantime, we've added 'Firefly' to the "Release Dates Pending" section of our Blu-ray Release Schedule. Stay tuned!
Source

The Razzie winning comedic film, Big Daddy, staring Adam Sandler as a new role for him, a slacker, but this time his girlfriend dumps him, he must find a way to prove he's mature, by what else, adopting a kid (played by the Sprouse twins). "Hilarity" ensews. It will be getting a special edition release on May 20, 2008. It will feature the following things:
  • Two music videos
  • A music video by "Garbage" (how apropriate)
  • Talent files

ATTENTION ALL BLU-RAY OWNERS! BUY 2 GET 1 FREE

Amazon is once again offering a Blu-ray B2G1 (Buy Two Blu-ray Discs, Get One Free) deal. This time the sale includes a total of 58 titles from Sony, Warner, New Line, Lionsgate and Starz. Titles available in the promotion include 300, Blade Runner, Black Hawk Down, Crank, The Departed, The Fifth Element, Pan's Labyrinth, Troy: Director's Cut, War and many more. According to Amazon the offer is valid through April 18, 2008, but supplies for certain titles might be limited so make sure to order the titles you want before they run out.

Amazon Buy 2, Get 1 Free Blu-ray Deal

Additionally, Barnes & Noble is also having a Buy 2, Get 1 Free sale, both online and at their B&M stores. The popular book store has recently increased their Blu-ray selection, making the stores another great resource for Blu-ray content.

read more

also, blu-ray.com has graced us with a Blu-ray DVD review of Predator

Final words

You can never have enough Arnold, and Predator is the action superstar at his very best, playing one of his most famous roles against arguably his most famous, cunning, powerful, and frightening villain, in what I consider to be his best movie. This film is the pinnacle of action, starring its greatest star, directed by one of its best helmsman, and introduced the world to one of the most frightening and lethal creatures, ever. One of my favorite movies of all-time, Predator now debuts on Blu-ray in a package that is hard to resist, but also disappointing in its lack of extra content. The video quality is about what I expected, not looking good next to films of more recent production, but definitely benefitting from the high-definition treatment. The audio is vastly superior to any rendition I've heard before, however, and is alone enough to warrant an upgrade to this Blu-ray disc. Fox, for reasons unknown, has released the classic film without the extra material of the most recent DVD release, and has failed to provide other content in its place. Regardless, this disc is as bare-bones as they come, and many fans will be turned off by this oversight. Still, for fans of the film, I believe this disc to be a must-own regardless, even in lieu of the inevitable "double-dip" that will probably show up in a few years.
click link for more info

It seems that Dvdactive.com has gotten a hold ofthe AVP:R menus....they look like a bad videogame...

One of the most guiltiest of pleasures is coming to Blu-Ray, Point Break (1991- Kathryn Bigelow) starring Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swazye, and the craziest of all Buseys, Gary. Witch is about an FBI agent (Reeves) who goes undercover to catch bank robbers who may be surfers (Swazye) The specs are as follows:
  • 4 Featurettes
  • Deleted Scenes
  • 3 Theatrical Trailers
  • and some more

Another piece of information on the Keanu Reeves front, Blu-ray.com has graced us with a review of the hit 90's movie, Speed

Final words

No doubt about it, Speed is a major player in action movie history, one of the better ones of the 1990s (or any decade for that matter), a film that is infinitely re-watchable, and one that is simply great entertainment. Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock play very well together, and later starred opposite one another in The Lake House. Everything about Speed just works -- the acting, action, direction, pace, script, and plot -- all come together to create magnificent entertainment. Despite not having seen the DVD versions, I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that this Blu-ray edition is the best this film has ever looked or sounded for the home video market. The video quality is definitely above average, though not top flight. As you might imagine, for a film that took Academy Awards for both (1) Best Effects, Sound Effects Editing, and (2) Best Sound, the audio quality on this Blu-ray disc is superb. A decent but ultimately skimpy group of extras don't necessarily hinder the overall package. Speed is a must-own film in its own right, and owning it on Blu-ray is a no-brainer. Highly recommended!