Better Call Saul...whatcha think?

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
What's everyone think is on that piece of paper Mike gave Jimmy in the diner? Chuck's ex-wife's phone number?
I'm hoping so. Ohh that could get quite nasty.

I realize that reads like a joke, but I actually meant it literally: she'll be a witness, yeah?
Character witness is my guess.

That's a shame, MM. I had a buddy on the imdb board who really liked certain elements but felt let down by the show as a whole. He wants to love it but just does not. I've already seen the last episode 3 times - I'm obviously deranged LOL.
And the thought of Pacino walking in wearing budgie smugglers and kissing Don Eladio had me on the floor!

What's everyone think is on that piece of paper Mike gave Jimmy in the diner? Chuck's ex-wife's phone number?
It could very well be. Ex-wives are the most dangerous race of creatures.

Or, could it be a medical paper about Chuck's health?

I'm interested again in Mike's storyline, because of Don effing-hilarious Eladio and of the rivalry between Hector and Gus.

LOL El. I freaking love Don Eladio. Cheeky bastard.

So, I finally watched episode 4 and it was, quite simply, the best episode of the season so far, in my opinion. I'd even put it up there with "Five-O" and "Pimento". It felt just like a Breaking Bad episode.

I loved the opening shot of Don Eladio jumping into the pool and the great throwback it was to his infamous death scene from Breaking Bad. Same basic shot.

It was great to finally see an older Gus directly confronting a still-speaking Hector.

It's becoming increasingly obvious now, I would think, what Jimmy is planning: To get the case thrown by proving Chuck's mental incompetence.

I've been saying this since last year--this will be Jimmy's true "Breaking Saul" moment: he's going to basically throw the hammer down on his brother, citing his insanity, and getting himself off. In doing so, he will be burying Jimmy McGill and become Saul. Chuck is the last piece of rope holding Jimmy's soul to the docks. Jimmy will survive the case and hold onto his license...but will have to sacrifice his soul in the process.

Kim agreeing to help/stay with Jimmy will ultimate be HER undoing and, with no one left to care about, Jimmy will dive headlong into "Saul" and use it as a protective cocoon.

Jimmy has been holding that hammer in his hand since season 1 but always resisted bringing it down upon Chuck. After learning of the recording, you could see an important piece of Jimmy McGill die. That was his first real outburst of the show--the angriest we've EVER seen Jimmy OR Saul. Betrayal runs deep and this one finally clinched it, I think.

Jimmy will survive the bar hearing. He's going to use those photos and everything else at his disposal to humiliate Chuck on that stand. He's going to make Chuck look as crazy and unstable as possible. That's why he loved that "Lantern on a stack of newspapers" photo so much--he wants to prove Chuck to be unstable and mentally incompetent.

It makes sense--it's Jimmy's only way out at this point and the only card he has left to play and it's the only way for him to become Saul. Why? Because the Jimmy side of him avoided repeated requests to have him committed since Season 1. The Jimmy side of him took care of Chuck and refused to get him help. Jimmy looks...well...DONE this season. Done with Chuck. Done with all the BS. He's going to either get Chuck committed or at least tarnish his reputation permanently.

PS: Jimmy can become Saul even WITH Kim in the picture. In fact--I EXPECT this to happen. CHUCK is the only obstacle from Jimmy becoming Saul. With Chuck out of the way, Jimmy will become Saul and Kim will eventually leave him, unable to handle his Saul persona, and/or will lose her license in some way.

Either way, the writing is on the wall and this season has a bit of finality to it in some ways. I believe this season will spell a turning point for the show and will see the end of Chuck's character (at least in a regular role), the beginning of Saul Goodman and a change of pace as we move forward (Jimmy and Mike are working together a lot this season and we all know where that leads).

As soon as I saw Franceska return I knew that we're about to see Saul.

I really believe that the writers designed this season as a "just in case we're not renewed" season (much like they did with Season 4 of Breaking Bad) and will give us all the basic stuff: Saul, Mike working for Gus, Chuck's downfall, Kim's possible fate, possible "Death" for Gene, etc.

However, Gould and Gilligan seem primed and ready to keep this show going, so hopefully it will continue. Gilligan even recently suggested that the show could eventually take place ENTIRELY in a post-Breaking Bad world eventually and suggested that "Gene" could possibly find "salvation" at some point. It's all coming together like I believed it would: the show is leading toward closure for "Gene" and a possible happy ending for Jimmy.

If this works out, we may just have the perfect little epilogue to Breaking Bad.

...........am I the only person that gets a hankerin' for Taco Bell after watching the Los Pollos Hermanos scenes?

...........am I the only person that gets a hankerin' for Taco Bell after watching the Los Pollos Hermanos scenes?
Taco Bell? No. Chicken? Yes.

Holy hell. That was jammed with easter eggs. I didnt even catch most of those.

Did i dream it or was there a bottle of Zafiro Añejo out by the pool?

No way! Wait for the Wont You Think Of The Children brigade claiming films make people do bad things.

http://www.kob.com/new-mexico-news/e...g-bad/4471122/

Upon second thought--they DO sell both Mexican food and chicken at Los Pollos and that sounds like one hell of a delicious combination. Burrito and a fried chicken breast on one plate...I can dig it.

It could very well be. Ex-wives are the most dangerous race of creatures.

Or, could it be a medical paper about Chuck's health?

I'm interested again in Mike's storyline, because of Don effing-hilarious Eladio and of the rivalry between Hector and Gus.
I think that, regardless of what's on the letter, Jimmy is finally throwing the gauntlet down and planning something he's never done before: making Chuck look mentally incompetent.

It's the one thing he avoided doing since Season 1 and now it's his only chance at salvation. Chuck's own professional future could conceivably be at risk here.

Here is the article I read that seems to suggest possible salvation for "Gene": https://www.peoplemagazines.net/bett...the-best-part/

In it, Gilligan and Gould do their usual "Sort of provide answers while throwing in other "possibilities"" tactic to try to throw people off but, if you read it carefully, they're essentially confirming that Gene did not die in that scene and that he was just overwhelmed. Also, if you pay attention, they seem to really be considering a larger story for "Gene" down the line and possible "salvation".

Who thought he died? Never even occurred to me - I just thought he fainted.

Who thought he died? Never even occurred to me - I just thought he fainted.
I always thought he fainted but some people on reddit thought he died.

I always thought he fainted but some people on reddit thought he died.
I havent looked at reddit.

I love Villigan's comment about fans of the two shows. He and Gould sure do love the fandom. And I have to gree - the amazing attention to detail some viewers have is mind blowing.

Busy at work, deat? I've been wondering where you've been since the episode aired.

I havent looked at reddit.

I love Villigan's comment about fans of the two shows. He and Gould sure do love the fandom. And I have to gree - the amazing attention to detail some viewers have is mind blowing.

Busy at work, deat? I've been wondering where you've been since the episode aired.
Their attention to detail is some of the best I've ever seen in a television show.

Yeah, I'm a bit busy. That and I've been branching off to doing other things lately. I've cut down on my forum time a lot--even on the other forum. Every few years I go through a dry spell with foruming and simply become more interested in other things.

I'll be here but probably sporadically. That's why you occasionally see me here, practically writing essays about the show. I've been watching the episodes weekly--just don't always have the time or desire to come on to write about it. I did today, though.

One thing I can say about this show is this: Season 1 (after a recent rewatch) is, has and always will be my favorite season of this show. To me, it's a charming little piece that tells the perfect origin story of Saul Goodman. I like the innocence of that season. Seasons 2 and 3 are great but Season 1 is my personal favorite. The charm of the Kettlemans and other humor like the talking toilet and "secede from the US guy" are all great.

I will say that Season 3 is my second favorite season and is almost matched with Season 1 for me. In fact, Season 3 is a great companion piece to Seasons 2-4 of Breaking Bad.