MoFo Fantasy Baseball 2017 - The Regular Season

Tools    

Aw, man. This bit from Gift Ngoepe, first African-born player in the Major Leagues:

Basically in the dugout they told me that I was going into the game and I was like, okay Gift, the time as come. I went out to the [field] and [Francisco] Cervelli was like, “Come here.” And I’m like, “Okay.” I’m like, “I just got on the field.” And he just put his hand on my chest and listened to my heartbeat and I felt my heartbeat beating against his hand. And I’m like, oh this is not good. I’ve had this feeling before and it’s not good when I do this. I’ve got to calm down. And Cervelli told Jay Hay, “Hey you gotta listen to this. This is what we live for.” And then Jay Hay felt my heartbeat too and was like, “Hey, we’ve all been there. Just relax and do your thing.” And that kind of calmed me down.
Baseball, you guys. Baseball.

Hey, i know this is the hardcore betting corner of Baseball on MoFo so be gentle with me a normal dude who is really into pitching

Well, i've started watching baseball alot, alot for me isn't the same as alot for you guys as i'm from the UK and we don't ever get baseball on TV. So 4 Innings a week is pretty hardcore.

Anyway, i watched the first 2 innings of a Nationals game and they ended up 7-0 up. I mentioned to Yoda (Chris) that i don't really know the game outside of the stars: my comment was about Trout vs Harper. Whatever, is 7-0 in 2 innings normal?

For the record i definitely support the Dodgers for multiple reasons.

Hey, i know this is the hardcore betting corner of Baseball on MoFo so be gentle with me a normal dude who is really into pitching

Well, i've started watching baseball alot, alot for me isn't the same as alot for you guys as i'm from the UK and we don't ever get baseball on TV. So 4 Innings a week is pretty hardcore.

Anyway, i watched the first 2 innings of a Nationals game and they ended up 7-0 up. I mentioned to Yoda (Chris) that i don't really know the game outside of the stars: my comment was about Trout vs Harper. Whatever, is 7-0 in 2 innings normal?

For the record i definitely support the Dodgers for multiple reasons.
Seven is quite a few runs for a team.in an entire game. Not uncommon but a bunch.

Seven is quite a few runs for a team.in an entire game. Not uncommon but a bunch.
Both of the runs were purely due to Bryce. The first one had a dude on 1st Base and Bryce hit a single but forced that dude to run an extra base because he didn't stop, meaning Bryce ended up on second and the guy in front of him was on third. Later in the game there was another single while Bryce was on a double but he kept on running and made the run.

Dunno, it was awesome. I think Bryce is much better to watch than Trout at least.

Both of the runs were purely due to Bryce. The first one had a dude on 1st Base and Bryce hit a single but forced that dude to run an extra base because he didn't stop, meaning Bryce ended up on second and the guy in front of him was on third. Later in the game there was another single while Bryce was on a double but he kept on running and made the run.

Dunno, it was awesome. I think Bryce is much better to watch than Trout at least.
He's got speed and power, very fun to watch. Trout has that too, of course, but is definitely not as flashy. I love him but I get where you are coming from.

He's got speed and power, very fun to watch. Trout has that too, of course, but is definitely not as flashy. I love him but I get where you are coming from.
The point was made that Trout has a suspect arm. Think Harper is objectively a five-tool player, there's nothing that you can object to with Bryce at least.

Who cares anyway the best player to watch is always going to be Clayton Kershaw which is why i'm a Dodgers fan. I watched a Dodgers-Giants game the other day and was baffled at how bad Kershaw was until i noticed that while he was batting the pitcher deliberately threw a fastball off his thigh: he limped away after it. Was so satisfying seeing him lose it after being treated like crap there and easily striking all of those bums out: especially Buster Posey who really expected to get at least a hit being a right handed batter: lol, got treated like a child.

Kershaw not doing well was actually a thing even though it shouldn't be because it's really ridiculous.

My favourite thing about Kershaw is that he never deliberately walks anyone ever. He walked someone in the last game i saw of him and you could tell it pissed him right off, it hints towards him not wanting to deal with said batter whether he did or not and the idea of that clearly kills him. Look at walks stats of any of the other great pitchers and it's not even close, you are lucky if Kershaw gives five walks a season and if he does he's never happy about it.

Best player ever. Also most hilariously bad pitcher-batter.

I actually haven't watched Kershaw pitch as much as I would like. He is exactly the kind of pitcher I love though, might get to see him more this year if I get back in the habit of watching the ESPN games, which I already have a bit this month.

I actually haven't watched Kershaw pitch as much as I would like. He is exactly the kind of pitcher I love though, might get to see him more this year if I get back in the habit of watching the ESPN games, which I already have a bit this month.
He's the only reason i watch baseball. Dunno if it is common or not but he usually looks at his First Baseman before throwing his pitch. I mean he never ever looks at the batter before making his pitch.

I've not watched baseball as much as you guys but 90% of the baseball i've watched has been Kershaw pitching.

He's the only reason i watch baseball. Dunno if it is common or not but he usually looks at his First Baseman before throwing his pitch. I mean he never ever looks at the batter before making his pitch.

I've not watched baseball as much as you guys but 90% of the baseball i've watched has been Kershaw pitching.
Glad you're enjoying it. Come and chat when you see something interesting. Great sport.

Glad you're enjoying it. Come and chat when you see something interesting. Great sport.
I've always wanted to talk to you guys but i wasn't sure if this was the general baseball discussion thread or if it was the fantasy baseball lounge. Yoda said it is the former but i don't agree coz it's only 6 pages in.

Whatever, long live Kershaw

Watching a Dodgers game right now and it's reminding me of several other reasons why i love Kershaw. The main one is that he always goes for the strike: every other pitcher throws deliberate balls and whatever to strategically throw the batter off, Kershaw is the only pitcher i've seen that threatens the batter on similar grounds. By that i mean a batter like say Mike Trout is always a threat whenever he goes to bat: Kershaw's pitches are just as much if not a much bigger threat than his big hits though as Kershaw never has any intention of holding back or being scared of a batter, and even against Mike Trout i've never seen anyone have any sort of consistency against his pitches. i've actually seen teams alternate their batting order because he's pitching, give our best batter more at-bats tomorrow when it's not against Kershaw.

The only thing i don't like about Kershaw is the team celebrating his individual records: seems to be circled around him and i'd much rather the team win a WS than stroke the dudes ego. Celebrating his 300th Strikeout or whatever it was was really stupid for a team that feels so far away from a championship: dude's the king we all love him but lets not glorify a single person in a sport that needs everyone to work together.

The only thing i don't like about Kershaw is the team celebrating his individual records: seems to be circled around him and i'd much rather the team win a WS than stroke the dudes ego. Celebrating his 300th Strikeout or whatever it was was really stupid for a team that feels so far away from a championship: dude's the king we all love him but lets not glorify a single person in a sport that needs everyone to work together.
Stats are a huge deal in baseball, get used to it. It seems silly at times to me too...but I also kind of like it.

I don't think the forum will ever have enough baseball talk that we need a separate thread. Besides fantasy talk is essentially just talking about the game. We already have another thread for trade stuff.

I've always wanted to talk to you guys but i wasn't sure if this was the general baseball discussion thread or if it was the fantasy baseball lounge. Yoda said it is the former but i don't agree coz it's only 6 pages in.

Whatever, long live Kershaw
Yeah I agree with Sean man, stay and talk as much baseball as you want . Clayton Kershaw is the best baseball player of our generation, Ive said that before. Better and more consistent than Trout, Harper, or even if Thames #'s hold up over time. Ive only seen him pitch a couple times (against my poor Rays), and he just seems so relaxed and fluid compared to other pitchers. That relaxed flow imo is what can enables a pitcher to throw 9 innings vs 6 ip, not tensing up has everything to do with it.

Better and more consistent than Trout, Harper
I agree with everything you said, but is this fair to say? Trout and Harper have to play like 3 times as much as Kershaw. I'd love to call Kershaw the best but i don't feel right doing so when he doesn't play as much. I think that's probably why pitchers shouldn't be compared to others. My main problem with this is that sometimes i'll watch a Dodgers game and Kershaw isn't pitching