"You gotta get me outta here! This guys's crazy .."

Tools    

I the late 80s or early 90s, my boyfriend and I saw an episode of a tv show that we thought was hilarious and quoted for years. But as time passed, we forgot what show it was from, and it's been bugging me ever since. Here's what I remember:

A person goes to an office or something to speak to someone, I think a man. The man has this item* in his office that he either shows to the main person or just has on display. The man leaves the office for a few minures. While the man is gone, the item starts to speak and says to the main person in a frantic, fast-paced tone of voice: "You gotta get me out of here! This guy's crazy!!". The item goes on and on about the crazy stuff the man does to him -- I don't remember for sure exactly what it says, but it was along the lines of how the man keeps it prisoner and I guess overworks or mistreats it. The item speaks extremely fast, carrying on and on.

As soon as the man returns, the item shuts up, and it's like none of this ever happened -- until the man steps out again, and the item starts ranting all over again, saying pretty much the exact same stuff.

Finally, the item convinces the main person to rescue it. So he somehow gets the item away from the man and takes it home, or to his own office, or wherever.

Then, some time later, we see the main person talking to someone, and the item is nearby. As soon as the main person leaves the room, the item starts saying the same stuff to the new person, this time complaining about the main person who rescued it: "You gotta get me outta here, this guy's crazy!!!"

*I'm calling it the "item" because for years, i thought it was a dummy or possibly a doll, but since I haven't been able to find it, I wonder if it might have been something else, like perhaps a dog or maybe a bird, or an object of some kind. Mainly it was something that would not normally carry on a conversation on its own.

I don't remember for sure, but I think this was a small segment of the bigger plot or a side story -- I don't know if the entire episode was all about this, or if the series always involved this character.

This was in English on American tv in the late 80s or early 90s. It is extremely possible that it was animated.

if anyone recognizes this, I'll be thrilled, because this has been driving me crazy for many years! Thank you!!!

Is the voice at 24:46 in the linked video the correct voice for the "item"? https://www.pbs.org/video/beaverton-...end-or-r3ebfx/

What the voice is saying sounds right, but his tone sounds too casual. The "item" in the episode I saw spoke very fast and sounded desperate and frantic.

Thank you -- do you have any idea where that clip is from? I'm wondering if maybe there's another part of the original film/show this is from that might be closer to what I remember. And how did you find this??

What the voice is saying sounds right, but his tone sounds too casual. The "item" in the episode I saw spoke very fast and sounded desperate and frantic.

Thank you -- do you have any idea where that clip is from? I'm wondering if maybe there's another part of the original film/show this is from that might be closer to what I remember. And how did you find this??
I have no idea what is the source of the audio clip is in this video and given that the video is almost 20 years old, I doubt that you would be able to reach anyone associated with its production who could remember. However, the voice is quite unusual and perhaps someone here could identify it. [Hint, hint people!]

I found the clip by Googling fragments of the dialogue you provided, with various modifications, in this case:

"get me out of here" "this guy's crazy"

There were other results from those words and other phrase combinations which I tried, but the link provided appeared to be the only one with any chance of being connected to what you are looking for.

I have no idea what is the source of the audio clip is in this video and given that the video is almost 20 years old, I doubt that you would be able to reach anyone associated with its production who could remember. However, the voice is quite unusual and perhaps someone here could identify it. [Hint, hint people!]

I found the clip by Googling fragments of the dialogue you provided, with various modifications, in this case:

"get me out of here" "this guy's crazy"

There were other results from those words and other phrase combinations which I tried, but the link provided appeared to be the only one with any chance of being connected to what you are looking for.

It would be great if someone does recognize the clip. I still don't think the tone is right, but I'd love to know for sure.

Okay, I clicked on the link. it took me to an episode of a series called "Rare Visions and Roadside Attractions". I have never seen this show before, but it looks like the sort of thing that local PBS stations would make to fill up time cheaply. This was made by KCPT in Kansas City. After the episode, they show some of what are basically "bloopers", including showing an older man reciting similar lines. I am guessing this older man was referring (directly or indirectly) to the sketch that the OP was looking for. Ultimately, this video is not of any help in finding what we are looking for.

Okay, I clicked on the link. it took me to an episode of a series called "Rare Visions and Roadside Attractions". I have never seen this show before, but it looks like the sort of thing that local PBS stations would make to fill up time cheaply. This was made by KCPT in Kansas City. After the episode, they show some of what are basically "bloopers", including showing an older man reciting similar lines. I am guessing this older man was referring (directly or indirectly) to the sketch that the OP was looking for. Ultimately, this video is not of any help in finding what we are looking for.

It sounds like it's a clip from a movie or show, or a cartoon, to me. I could be wrong, but I'm not convinced that it's a clip from what I saw, because the tone of voice isn't frantic as I remember.