Top 5 movie by decade

Tools    

Well im not into big blockbuster Hollywood romances. IMO it doesnt seem that i missed out on anything!
Well, it's a little bit more than that. I know a lot of people probably dislike it, because the romance is sometimes a little cheesy, but it really is a superbly well-crafted movie. It's certainly worth a watch, in my opinion.

^It just seems the internet loves everything that the majority doesn't like

It's almost not even worth doing one for 1890s-1910s since I've seen hardly anything, but here are a few from the early decades of film that I think are decent:

1900-1909: A Trip to the Moon (1902); The Great Train Robbery (1903); Troubles of a Grass-Widower (1908); The Policemen's Little Run (1908).

1910-1920: Sir Arne's Treasure (1919); Gertie the Dinosaur (1914); The Cook (1918); Frankenstein (1910); Pool Sharks (1915).

Now it gets difficult to limit myself to just five per decade, so I'll include my top fives by year too (even that's too few for most of the decades.)

1920-1929: Sherlock Jr.; The White Hell of Pitz Palu; The Golem; Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler; Safety Last!.

1920: The Golem; One Week; The Saphead; The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari; Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
1921: The Play House; The Goat; The 'High Sign'; Outside the Law; The Phantom Carriage.
1922: Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler; Down to the Sea in Ships; Grandma's Boy; Nanook of the North; Zhi Guo Yuan.
1923: Safety Last!; The Hunchback of Notre Dame; Three Ages; Why Worry?; The Love Nest.
1924: Sherlock Jr.; Girl Shy; Entr'acte; The Navigator; Hot Water.
1925: The Unholy Three; Gold Rush; The Phantom of the Opera; Battleship Potemkin; The Lost World.
1926: The General; A Page of Madness; Tramp, Tramp, Tramp; The Adventures of Prince Achmed; The Holy Mountain.
1927: Metropolis; The Jazz Singer; The Unknown; It; Wings.
1928: Steamboat Bill Jr.; West of Zanzibar; The Circus; October; The Cameraman.
1929: The White Hell of Pitz Palu; The Skeleton Dance; Where East is East; Un Chien Andalou; The Cocoanuts.

Guess it's obvious I've seen a lot of Keaton, Browning and Lloyd films from the 20s and not enough else.

1930-1939: Freaks; Olympia; Pygmalion; King Kong; Duck Soup.

1930: Hell's Angels; Animal Crackers; À propos de Nice; All Quiet on the Western Front; Salt for Svaneti.
1931: City Lights; Frankenstein; Little Caesar; Monkey Business; M.
1932: Freaks; Minnie the Moocher; Tarzan the Ape Man; White Zombie; The Mask of Fu Manchu.
1933: King Kong; Duck Soup; The Fatal Glass of Beer; Footlight Parade; Picture Snatcher.
1934: L'atlante; It Happened One Night; Tarzan and His Mate; The Thin Man; The Old Fashioned Way.
1935: Mutiny on the Bounty; Mark of the Vampire; The Bride of Frankenstein; The 39 Steps; A Night at the Opera.
1936: My Man Godfrey; San Francisco; The Devil-Doll; Follow the Fleet; After the Thin Man.
1937: Street Angel; Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs; The Grand Illusion; The Edge of the World; Captains Courageous
1938: Olympia; Pygmalion; The Adventures of Robin Hood; The Lady Vanishes; Angels with Dirty Faces.
1939: Gunga Din; You Can't Cheat an Honest Man; Stagecoach; Wizard of Oz; Gone With the Wind.

1940-1949: The Lady from Shanghai; The Red Shoes; Never Give a Sucker an Even Break; Dumbo; Deadline at Dawn.

1940: His Girl Friday; Fantasia; Pinnochio; The Grapes of Wrath; British Intelligence
1941: Never Give a Sucker an Even Break; Dumbo; Hellzapoppin'; Sullivan's Travels; The Maltese Falcon.
1942: Yankee Doodle Dandy; The Magnificent Ambersons; The Cat People; Casablanca; To Be or Not to Be.
1943: The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp; Stormy Weather; Fires Were Started; The Outlaw; Le Corbeau.
1944: A Canterbury Tale; The Return of the Vampire; The Curse of the Cat People; Cover Girl; Meet Me in St. Louis.
1945: Open City; Children of Paradise; I Know Where I’m Going; Isle of the Dead; Detour.
1946: Deadline at Dawn; Cluny Brown; The Great Piggy Bank Robbery; The Postman Always Rings Twice; The Best Years of Our Lives.
1947: The Lady From Shanghai; The Ghost and Mrs. Muir; Hue and Cry; Black Narcissus; The Perils of Pauline.
1948: The Red Shoes; The Big Clock; Unfaithfully Yours; Scott of the Antarctic; Macbeth.
1949: The Third Man; Passport to Pimlico; The Judge; Stray Dog; All the King's Men.

1950-1959: Rear Window; Rashomon; The Seventh Seal; Othello; Sunset Blvd.

1950: Rashomon; Sunset Blvd.; Annie Get Your Gun; All About Eve; Harvey.
1951: Alice in Wonderland; Detective Story; The Thing From Another World; A Streetcar Named Desire; The Lavender Hill Mob.
1952: Othello; Singin' in the Rain; The Big Sky; Forbidden Games; Son of Paleface.
1953: Tokyo Story; Shane; Ugetsu; The Band Wagon; From Here to Eternity. (no. 6 was Glen or Glenda ).
1954: Rear Window; The Seven Samurai; The Barefoot Contessa; Dial M for Murder; On the Waterfront.
1955: Kiss Me Deadly; Mr. Arkadin; Guys and Dolls; The Night of the Hunter; The Seven Year Itch.
1956: The Girl Can't Help It; Invasion of the Body Snatchers; Forbidden Planet; The Searchers; Aparajito.
1957: The Seventh Seal; Wild Strawberries; Witness for the Prosecution; Funny Face; 12 Angry Men.
1958: Vertigo; Touch of Evil; South Pacific; The Magician; The Music Room.
1959: Floating Weeds; Anatomy of a Murder; Suddenly, Last Summer; Letter Never Sent; Some Like it Hot.

1960-1969: Lawrence of Arabia; Soy Cuba; Once Upon a Time in the West; 2001; Japanese Summer: Double Suicide.

1960: The Sun's Burial; Make Mine Mink; Psycho; Eyes Without a Face; L'Avventura.
1961: Breakfast at Tiffany's; The Innocents; Pigs and Battleships; Yojimbo; The Hustler.
1962: Lawrence of Arabia; La Jetée; Pitfall; The Trial; An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge.
1963: 8½; The Boids; High and Low; Charade; The Pink Panther.
1964: Soy Cuba; Woman in the Dunes; My Fair Lady; Red Desert; Pale Flower.
1965: Kwaidan; Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors; The Saragossa Manuscript; Time Piece; The Chimes at Midnight.
1966: King of Hearts; Andrei Rublev; Come Drink With Me; The Face of Another; Batman: The Movie.
1967: Japanese Summer: Double Suicide; The Flim-Flam Man; Branded to Kill; The Fearless Vampire Killers; Bedazzled.
1968: Once Upon a Time in the West; 2001; The Profound Desire of the Gods; Inferno of First Love; Horus: Prince of the Sun.
1969: Easy Rider; Boy; Z; The Red Tent; Army of Shadows.

1970-1979: The Muppet Movie; Alien; Picnic at Hanging Rock; Carrie; The Tenant.

1970: Little Big Man; Brewster McCloud; Even Dwarfs Started Small; Le Cercle Rouge; Investigations of a Citizen Above Suspicion.
1971: McCabe & Mrs. Miller; They Might Be Giants; Straw Dogs; Macbeth; The Ceremony.
1972: The Godfather; Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes; The Seduction of Mimi; Last Tango in Paris; Images.
1973: The Long Goodbye; The Exorcist; The Last of Sheila; Enter the Dragon; Outlaw-Matsu Comes Home.
1974: Phantom of the Paradise; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre; Chinatown; Black Belt Jones; Thieves Like Us.
1975: Picnic at Hanging Rock; Jaws; Deep Red; Barry Lyndon; Nashville.
1976: Carrie; The Tenant; Taxi Driver; F for Fake; Network.
1977: Star Wars; Amar Akbar Anthony; Annie Hall; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Deullists.
1978: Future Boy Conan (tv); Days of Heaven; Who'll Stop the Rain; Halloween; The Driver.
1979: The Muppet Movie; Alien; Vengeance is Mine; Dirty Ho; My Brilliant Career.

1980-1989: Akira; Peking Opera Blues; Three Crowns of the Sailor; My Dinner with Andre; Tampopo.

1980: Popeye; The Empire Strikes Back; The Falls; Hopscotch; The Shining.
1981: My Dinner With Andre; The Prodigal Son; Eijanaika; Blow Out; The Raiders of the Lost Ark.
1982: Starstruck; The Draughtsman's Contract; The Thing; Blade Runner; Boat People.
1983: Three Crowns of the Sailor; Zu: Warriors From the Magic Mountain; Reilly: Ace of Spies (tv mini-series); The Return of the Jedi; Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.
1984: Repo Man; Gremlins; The Brother From Another Planet; Ghostbusters; A Nightmare on Elm Street.
1985: Tampopo; A Zed & Two Noughts; Runaway Train; Mishima; Ran.
1986: Peking Opera Blues; The Singing Detective (tv mini-series); The Fly; Max mon amour; Aliens.
1987: The Untouchables; A Taxing Woman; Throw Momma From the Train; Full Metal Jacket; Withnail & I.
1988: Akira; Die Hard; Drowning by Numbers; Time of the Gypsies; Eight Men Out. (making The Rodent proud note: I had Young Guns at no. 7 (Stanley Kwan's Rouge is no.6)).
1989: Casualties of War; Pedicab Driver; Jesus of Montreal; Gremlins 2; Rikyu.

1990-1999: Prospero's Books; Limbo; Once Upon a Time in China; Chungking Express; The Thin Red Line.

1990: The Decade of Destruction (tv mini-series); Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead; Miller’s Crossing; Vincent & Theo; Trust.
1991: Prospero's Books; Once Upon a Time in China; Thelma & Louise; Zodiac Killers; The Swordsman II.
1992: Minbo; King of Beggars; Naked Killer; The Player; Police Story 3.
1993: Sonatine; Arizona Dream; Naked; Blue; It's All True.
1994: Chungking Express; Eat Drink Man Woman; Amateur; The Hudsucker Proxy; To Live.
1995: Fallen Angels; The Blade; The Crossing Guard; Memories; Twelve Monkeys.
1996: Don't Be a Mennace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood; Lone Star; Microcosmos; Fargo; Comrades: Almost a Love Story.
1997: The Eel; Too Many Ways to Be No. 1; Fast, Cheap & Out of Control; Henry Fool; The Serpent's Kiss.
1998: The Thin Red Line; Snake Eyes; Black Cat White Cat; A Bug's Life; Dr. Akagi.
1999: Limbo; The Straight Story; Mystery Men; The Ninth Gate; Fight Club.

2000-2009: Sunshine; The Curious Case of Benjamin Button; The Prestige; No Such Thing; King Kong.

2000: Time and Tide; Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon; The Heart of the World; The Princess and the Warrior; Hamlet.
2001: No Such Thing; The Pledge; Fellowship of the Ring; Sex and Lucia; Monsters, Inc.
2002: Death to Smoochy; The Ring; Infernal Affairs; The Two Towers; Femme Fatale.
2003: Shanghai Knights; Hulk; The Return of the King; The Matrix Reloaded; Underwater Impressions.
2004: 2046; Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban; The Aviator; The Incredibles; Kung Fu Hustle.
2005: King Kong; Lady Vengeance; The New World; Brokeback Mountain; Conversations with other women.
2006: The Prestige; The Lives of Others; Nacho Libre; Children of Men; Pirates of the Caribbean 2.
2007: Sunshine; Ratatouille; Zodiac; My Winnipeg; Sleuth.
2008: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button; Il divo; The Dark Knight; Speed Racer; Slumdog Millionaire.
2009: The Men Who Stare at Goats; I Am Love; Knowing; Avatar; Where the Wild Things Are.

That's it for decades. Here are my top fives for the last three years:

2010: Inception; Mysteries of Lisbon; 127 Hours; The Tempest; Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.
2011: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows; Super 8; The Guard; Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy; The Immortals.
2012: The Dark Knight Rises; Life of Pi; The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey; Cloud Atlas; 7 Psychopaths.

About the Titanic-It is probably the most famous movie in modern times.I can't believe someone didn't watch it.I am from India.The movie was dubbed in local languages and telecasted numerous times.It is so famous.

I recommend that you watch the movie.It is not a cheesy love story.More than the love story,the last one hour after the iceberg hits the ship is the interesting part.

Titanic is truly a must watch movie.I watched it recently and it has aged well

Linespalsy:
Thumbs up if only for the size of your post! I love these kind of lists from people!
Although I don't agree on some of your omissions and choices, I like most of them.

Thought he lost everything,then he lost a whole lot more.
Ok folks here's my list (not in order of importance):

50's
12 angry men (Sidney Lumet)
North By Northwest (Alfred Hitchcock)
Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa)
Le Notti Bianche (Luchino Visconti)
Tokyo Story (Yasujiro Ozu)

60's
The Good,The Bad & The Ugly (Sergio Leone)
La Dolce Vita (Federico Fellini)
La Notte (Michelangelo Antonioni)
Band Of Outsiders (Jean Luc Godard)
Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock)

70's
Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola)
Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese)
The Godfather I&II (Francis Ford Coppola)
Dog Day Afternoon (Sidney Lumet)
Day For Night (Francois Truffaut)

80's
Planes ,Trains & Automobiles (John Hughes)
Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese)
My Neighbor Totoro (Hayao Miyazaki)
Do The Right Thing (Spike Lee)
Ran (Akira Kurosawa)

90's
Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino)
Fallen Angels (Wong Kar Wai)
Sonatine (Takeshi Kitano)
Boogie Nights (Paul Thomas Anderson)
The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick)

00's
In The Mood For Love (Wong Kar Wai)
Oldboy (Park Chan Wook)
3 Iron (Kim Ki Duk)
No Country For Old Men (Coen Brothers)
Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch)

^It just seems the internet loves everything that the majority doesn't like
The majority of people whom I know that have certain degree of knowledge of cinema doesn't like Titanic that much. It is a very formulaic and melodramatic movie to be of interest to those that have a more than rudimentary understanding of film.

Who's going to believe a talking head?
I'm not going to pretend that I've seen a lot of films pre-1960s. So only top 5 from 1970s onward.

1970s: Aguirre, the Wrath of God; The Long Goodbye; Stalker; Days of Heaven; Powers of Ten

1980s: Brazil; Sans Soleil; Crimes and Misdemeanors; Blue Velvet; Once Upon A Time In America

1990s: Safe; Dead Man; Satantango; Eyes Wide Shut; Miller's Crossing

2000s: Zodiac; Team America: World Police; Artificial Intelligence; Adaptation; Inland Empire

Top 5 by year coming soon.

From your list I would say that I understand the choices until I came upon:

Team America: World Police

Its funny but that's it. In fact, a few South Park episodes are clearly superior: Scott Tennroman Must Die, for instance, left me speechless on my chair.

Films are listed in no particular order and I'm avoiding earlier decades due to extremely limited number of films I've viewed

1940s: Citizen Kane, The Third Man, Shadow of a Doubt, Casablanca, The Grapes of Wrath

1950s: Vertigo, North by Northwest, Rear Window, Rio Bravo, The Searchers

Honourable Mentions: The Bridge on the River Kwai, Paths of Glory, 12 Angry Men

1960s: Persona, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, Once Upon a Time in the West

Honourable Mentions: Psycho, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, La Jeteé, Cool Hand Luke

1970s: Apocalypse Now, The Godfather, A Clockwork Orange, Taxi Driver, Chinatown

Honourable Mentions: Aguirre: The Wrath of God, Badlands, The Sting

1980s: Blue Velvet, Blow Out, The Shining, Once Upon a Time in America, Brazil

Honourable Mentions: This Is Spinal Tap, Full Metal Jacket, Back to the Future, Raging Bull, Blade Runner

1990s: Pulp Fiction, The Big Lebowski, Unforgiven, Boogie Nights, Miller's Crossing

Honourable Mentions: Goodfellas, Jackie Brown, Magnolia, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, Dazed and Confused, Fargo

2000s:
There Will Be Blood, Inglourious Basterds, Mulholland Drive, No Country for Old Men, The Pianist

Honourable Mentions: Sin City, WALL-E

2010s: Holy Motors, Django Unchained, Rango, The Master, Killing Them Softly

Honourable Mentions: Drive, True Grit, Lincoln, The Social Network, Looper, Life of Pi

I put this together in several minutes, so it's not completely accurate, but I tried to create my top 5 of each decade in order.

1940s:

Casablanca
Citizen Kane
The Third Man
It's a Wonderful Life
The Lost Weekend

1950s:

Vertigo
Touch of Evil
Sunset Boulevard
Some Like It Hot
In a Lonely Place

1960s

8 1/2
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Dr. Strangelove
The Apartment
The Graduate

1970s

Chinatown
A Clockwork Orange
The Godfather
The Sting
Taxi Driver

1980s

Once Upon a Time in America
Crimes and Misdemeanors
The Shining
The Empire Strikes Back
After Hours

1990s

Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Boogie Nights
L.A. Confidential
Magnolia

2000s

In the Mood For Love
Spirited Away
There Will Be Blood
Oldboy
Inglourious Basterds

2010s

Django Unchained
Midnight in Paris
The Artist
Black Swan
The Master

I noticed my favorite 10 movies of all time list is a bit dated, so I'll update it right now.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Linespalsy your post and list(s) are a feast for any cinephile, there are definitely some movies on your list I will be checking out. As for my own list I'll start at 1940 as I just haven't seen enough of the earlier stuff, unless you count a lot of Chaplain.

So here goes (in no particular order):

1940s: Citizen Kane, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Great Dictator, Fantasia and A Matter of Life and Death

1950s:
The Desperate Hours, The Harder They Fall, The Seventh Seal, On The Water Front and Witness for the Prosecution

1960s:
Lawrence of Arabia, Mutiny on the Bounty, Lolita, Psycho and 8 1/2

1970s:The Godfather Part II, Rocky, Apocalypse Now and The Assassination of Ryoma.

I feel like I have to mention The Godfather, Taxi Driver, Alien and the Conversation just missed out. Definitely my favourite decade for movies.

1980s:Once Upon a Time in America, Die Hard, The Terminator, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Indiana Jones: Raider's of the Lost Ark.

This decade gave us the full blown birth of the Hollywood blockbuster but these were intelligent movies too.

1990s:Toy Story 2, Terminator 2, The Matrix, Schindler's List and Pulp Fiction.

Honourable mentions for Seven, Fight Club, Goodfellas, Fargo, Independence Day and Reservoir Dogs.

2000s:The Dark Knight, OldBoy, LOTR: The Two Towers, Pan's Labyrinth and There will be Blood.

Honourable mentions for The Departed, Up, Wall-E, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, The Bourne Trilogy, District 9 and Inglorious Basterds.

2010s (so far):Django Unchained, Drive, Toy Story 3, Inception and The Raid (redefined the action genre in a 100 minutes of adrenaline pumping violence).

1920s

1. A page of madness (Teinosuke Kinugasa, 1926)
2. The passion of Joan of Arc (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1928)
3. The cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Robert Wiene, 1920)
4. The adventures of Prince Achmed (Lotto Reiniger, 1926)
5. Sherlock Jr. (Buster Keaton, 1924)

1930s

1. City lights (Charles Chaplin, 1931)
2. Modern times (Charles Chaplin, 1936)
3. Make way for tomorrow (Leo McCarey, 1937)
4. Fury (Fritz Lang, 1936)
5. A night at the opera (Sam Wood, 1935)

1940s

1. The great dictator (Charles Chaplin, 1940)
2. The treasure of the Sierra Madre (John Huston, 1948)
3. The Ox-Bow incident (William A. Wellman, 1943)
4. Fantasia (Too many people to count, 1940)
5. Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)

1950s

1. Wages of fear (Henri Georges Clouzot, 1953)
2. Paths of glory (Stanley Kubrick, 1957)
3. 12 angry men (Sidney Lumet, 1957)
4. Witness for the prosecution (Billy Wilder, 1957)
5. Sweet smell of success (Alexander MacKendrick, 1957)

1960s

1. Days of wine and roses (Blake Edwards, 1962)
2. Harakiri (Masaki Kobayashi, 1962)
3. The apartment (Billy Wilder, 1960)
4. The man who shot Liberty Valance (John Ford, 1962)
5. For a few dollars more (Sergio Leone, 1965)

1970s

1. One flew over the cuckoo's nest (Milos Forman, 1975)
2. Monty Python's Life of Brian (Terry Jones, 1979)
3. A clockwork orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971)
4. Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979)
5. The godfather (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)

1980s

1. The elephant man (David Lynch, 1980)
2. Grave of the fireflies (Isao Takahata, 1988)
3. My neighbor Totoro (Hayao Miyazaki, 1988)
4. The plague dogs (Martin Rosen, 1982)
5. Come and see (Elem Klimov, 1985)

1990s

1. The Shawshank redemption (Frank Darabont, 1994)
2. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)
3. Ed Wood (Tim Burton, 1994)
4. Trainspotting (Danny Boyle, 1996)
5. Princess Mononoke (Hayao Miyazaki, 1997)

2000s

1. Spirited away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)
2. Little Miss Sunshine (Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris, 2006)
3. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
4. Monsters, Inc (Pete Docter, Lee Unkrich & David Silverman, 2001)
5. Kill Bill vol. 2 (Quentin Tarantino, 2004)

2010s

1. Toy Story 3 (Lee Unkrich, 2010)
2. The illusionist (Sylvain Chomet, 2010)
3. Black swan (Darren Aronofsky, 2010)
4. It's such a beautiful day (Don Hertzfeldt, 2012)
5. The vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya (Yasuhiro Takemoto, 2010)