Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Tools    

I was reading a touch from the imdb. question and answer area of this movie last night regarding Galactus and the Surfer and it actually mentioned Galactus having a moral conscience there.

"Galactus' conscience was only eased by the prophecy that he will ultimately make good on the devastation he wrought."

It also said that Galactus at first searched for worlds habited populated by sentient races not because he ran out of non inhabited worlds but because his hunger gradually forced him to do this.
Yeah, he's a really great character. There was something there about him becoming addicted to sentient life forces, even though he doesn't really need them to nourish himself. Also, concerning the bit you quoted above...

WARNING: "Galactus" spoilers below
...that fits pretty well with some of the other stuff I was reading about his purpose. Apparently he's one of five abstract forces in the universe. A good portion of the power he obtains from devouring worlds is dedicated to imprisoning another one. He's considered, therefore, an essential part of the universe. There's a storyline where Reed actually saves a dying Galactus and is put on trial for it, before the alien beings trying him are temporarily made part of the universe, giving them insight into Galactus' role in it all.

I find that rather impressive, actually. He's like a forest fire; a seemingly destructive force that is actually good in the long run.

I'd never be able to really immerse myself in the comic book world, because it all seems so absurdly complicated and I think the constant retcon would drive me insane, but bits like the above pique my interest from time to time. There's some genuinely great storytelling in it all.

...A good portion of the power he obtains from devouring worlds is dedicated to imprisoning another one.
WARNING: "Galacus" spoilers below
I'm not sure I follow you here. Why does he imprison another? Would these be bad beings he's imprisoning?

Originally Posted by Yoda
He's considered, therefore, an essential part of the universe. There's a storyline where Reed actually saves a dying Galactus and is put on trial for it, before the alien beings trying him are temporarily made part of the universe, giving them insight into Galactus' role in it all.

I find that rather impressive, actually. He's like a forest fire; a seemingly destructive force that is actually good in the long run.
WARNING: "Galacus" spoilers below
I'm a bit confused on here on how that tells us he's good in the long run.

Originally Posted by Yoda
I'd never be able to really immerse myself in the comic book world, because it all seems so absurdly complicated and I think the constant retcon would drive me insane, but bits like the above pique my interest from time to time. There's some genuinely great storytelling in it all.
As a youngling, I was into the Spiderman, Batman, and the occasional Superman and X-men I would get second hand info from my bro. I had always passed the Silver Surfer off as boring just on his look alone so never paid much attention there till more info has been revealed about his character because of this film. Same for Dare Devil. It was intriguing to me on how I was allowed to feel as he did to a degree when he would sense objects on sound wave vibrations alone. I never gave allot of thought to that superhero comic book character before that film either.

Saw the film last night at the employee screening. I was actually impressed. Unlike the first original piece of sh*t, this was better than I expected - to tell you truth.

My rating
( B-)

Saw the film last night at the employee screening. I was actually impressed. Unlike the first original piece of sh*t, this was better than I expected - to tell you truth.

My rating
( B-)
Why jrs I'm shocked. I'd figure you'd give this one at least a 4/5. You're usually all over these type of films.

I'm not sure I follow you here. Why does he imprison another? Would these be bad beings he's imprisoning?
Galactus is one of five beings deemed essential to the universe. The others are Eternity, Infinity, Death, and Oblivion. A demon named Abraxas came out of Eternity (don't ask me how), and Galactus uses a portion of his power to keep it imprisoned.

As a youngling, I was into the Spiderman, Batman, and the occasional Superman and X-men I would get second hand info from my bro. I had always passed the Silver Surfer off as boring just on his look alone so never paid much attention there till more info has been revealed about his character because of this film. Same for Dare Devil. It was intriguing to me on how I was allowed to feel as he did to a degree when he would sense objects on sound wave vibrations alone. I never gave allot of thought to that superhero comic book character before that film either.
Yeah, he (the Silver Surfer) definitely seems like a very stupid character at first glance, but he just has such a wonderful backstory. The whole thing feels like a Greek tragedy.

Hmmm, it seems this Abraxas guy is indeed an odd looking character.

And reading a bit up on him, it says Eternity made sure that in every reality there was a Galactus to keep Abraxas in check, but it was in our reality where he was later freed after the death of Galactus.

Comics are usually huge lately on the multi dimensional, multi reality jazz. Can get a bit confusing after awhile.