Rank The Indiana Jones Movies

Tools    

It sure does. TFA I think had some of the best usage of special effects in a while, using techniques old and new.
Yeah, I've only seen bits and pieces but it's evident that the use of real locations makes for a much more believable world on screen. Incredibly the prequels start to look amateurish.

The Terminator
If Indy 5 gets made, what kind of artifact would you like to see Indy pursue?

If Indy 5 gets made, what kind of artifact would you like to see Indy pursue?
I think it's better when it's something with a lot of mystique surrounding it. I think the Sankara stones were an original creation but they still had a lot of atmosphere in the film; the Crystal Skulls are real items but didn't seem to generate as much import. The Ark and the Grail I think are the most successful up to now.

Thinking about it I'd also be fine with them creating an original artifact that still had it's roots in real mythology just like the Sankara Stones. Real or not I thought they were a neat concept and I'd welcome another original relic.

Thinking about it I'd also be fine with them creating an original artifact that still had it's roots in real mythology just like the Sankara Stones. Real or not I thought they were a neat concept and I'd welcome another original relic.
Yeah, but get the mythology right this time. I had no idea how messed-up that part of the film was until recently.

Seeing as the Stones were created for the film it was likely artistic license taken.
I don't mean the stones themselves, but all the devil-like iconography surrounding Kali and things like where Indy says "Prepare to meet Kali – in hell" as if she's a demon rather than a demon-slayer. I love the film to bits but they made some horrendous errors there.

I'd chalk it up to the Thuggees being a demonic group with a perverted view on Kali and not representative of the real deity.

I'd chalk it up to the Thuggees being a demonic group with a perverted view on Kali and not representative of the real deity.
Yeah, I was thinking that. It's a feasible way round it that would make sense, but it would have been better to really make that plain at some point.

Apparently the banquet scene didn't go down well in India either.

I'd chalk up the banquet scene for the same reason, the cult we see has twisted practices not reflective of Kali and her actual followers.

I'd chalk up the banquet scene for the same reason, the cult we see has twisted practices not reflective of Kali and her actual followers.
Aren't most of the attendees just visiting though? I remember there's a kind of Castle Dracula effect for the locals whenever the palace is mentioned but the cult seems very much in the background, controlling things from underneath.

Slightly off-topic but R.I.P. to Douglas Slocombe, the director of photography on the first three movies. Passed away earlier sadly. At 103 years old he had a long and fulfilled life, and captured some of the most striking imagery ever seen on film with his work on the original three Indy films.

A lot of people dislike TOD and it's sometimes still cited as the worst, but you'll want to give it a chance for yourself.

Very excited to hear the official Indy 5 announcement and release date. 2019 will be here before we know it. I just hope the movie will be a great finale and capper for the series.

I just realized 2019 is a big year for Indy not just with the new film but also the 35th and 30th respective anniversaries of both TOD and TLC. 2019 should be an awesome year to be an Indy fan.

The original haunted castle idea for TLC got me thinking, what about Castle Dracula where Indy could've been in pursuit of an item used by Vlad The Impaler? That could've been awesome, but after TOD maybe too dark for Spielberg's liking since he wanted to lighten it up so much more. It might not be a bad idea for 5. I'd love to see 5 be really dark and ominous in tone like TOD was.