GBGoodies 2015 Movie Logbook

Tools    

Love The Incident and have seen it several times over the years. I especially like Beau Bridges. When I first saw it I was very surprised to see Ed McMahon in a supporting role. Nice pick, GB!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Love The Incident and have seen it several times over the years. I especially like Beau Bridges. When I first saw it I was very surprised to see Ed McMahon in a supporting role. Nice pick, GB!

This was my first time seeing The Incident, and I almost didn't watch it because I thought I wouldn't like it because it would be too violent, but it had a great cast listed, so I decided to give it a chance, and I'm glad that I did.

I was most surprised by how young some of the actors were, especially Beau Bridges and Martin Sheen. In fact, Martin Sheen was so young in the movie that he looked more like his son Charlie.

I was also surprised to see Ed McMahon in the movie because I don't think that I've ever seen him act in anything before. I only knew him from "The Tonight Show".

I'm surprised I don't know anything about The Incident because it looks like something I would like. It's 7.8 rating on IMDb is fairly significant as well. I added it to my 60's watchlist.

I watched The Flim-Flam Man on Mark's recommendation and also enjoyed it.

I'm surprised I don't know anything about The Incident because it looks like something I would like. It's 7.8 rating on IMDb is fairly significant as well. I added it to my 60's watchlist.

I watched The Flim-Flam Man on Mark's recommendation and also enjoyed it.

I found The Incident by looking through movies year by year. I had never heard of it before, but when I read the rating and the cast list, I added it to my watchlist.

I'm not sure how I found The Flim-Flam Man, but it's been on my watchlist since the 60's movies list was announced.

I've also been keeping track of TCM's schedule and I've found a number of 60's movies on TCM that I didn't know anything about before watching them.

I just noticed that I already had The Incident on my regular watchlist on recommendation from Hello101. I guess I didn't realize it was a 60's movie so I'm glad I saw it in your thread. I will watch it within a couple days.

Once Upon a Time (1944)

This movie is kind of a strange fantasy about a caterpillar that dances when he hears the song "Yes Sir, That's My Baby". This is a cute movie, and while it's not one of Cary Grant's best movies, it's still enjoyable and worth watching.

Unfortunately, probably due to the technology that was available back in the 1940's, we (the viewer) never get to see the dancing caterpillar, so it might be interesting to see this movie remade with modern day technology so we could actually see the caterpillar dance.

This movie may even have been the inspiration for the Looney Tunes cartoon "One Froggy Evening" with Michigan J. Frog. In the movie, the caterpillar dances for anyone as long as he hears the song, but I can just picture someone watching this movie and wondering how funny it would be if the caterpillar wouldn't dance in front of strangers.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Once Upon A Time-1944.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	21728  

Stranger on the Third Floor (1940)

This movie has an interesting story, but it's kind of predictable. The movie is only about an hour long, so it's a pretty short movie, but it moves along at a nice pace.

The acting is good, but the only real standout performances are by Peter Lorre and Elisha Cook Jr., although neither of them have much screen time.

Overall this is a decent film noir, but there's nothing really great about it. It's good as a one-time watch, but you probably won't have any interest in seeing it more than once.

Attachments

Name:	Stranger on the Third Floor-1940-wide.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	21729  

Boys' Night Out (1962)

This is a very cute rom-com movie with a great cast that includes James Garner, Kim Novak, Tony Randall, Howard Duff and Howard Morris. It's very entertaining with a lot of laughs, and it has a great ending.

It felt a lot like the James Garner movies with Doris Day, but instead of Doris Day, his love interest was played by Kim Novak, and they were wonderful together.

+
Attachments

Name:	Boys Night Out-1962-dvd.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	21730  

Wow! You must have read my mind,

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Brigadoon (1954)

This is one of my all-time favorite musicals, but the movie isn't perfect. It has minor problems with the sets, the accents, and even the pacing, but the story, songs and dancing are so fantastic that I can easily overlook all of that.
I completely agree with you about the movie itself. I am actually OK with the sets. The accents are a little awkward. But the major problem is the pace. The movie itself is very slow, I think. I love the dancing. And out of all the Lerner & Lowe musicals, this is my favorite solely because I just love EVERY song in it. But I just wish the film didn't drag as much as it does. But I agree. All of the other things that are great about this musical helps to make a person overlook any flaws that it might have.

You Can't Run Away from It (1956)

This movie is a musical remake of the 1934 classic It Happened One Night. It's a cute movie, and it's a very enjoyable movie, but it's not as good as the original. It has some catchy songs, but not enough songs.

June Allyson and Jack Lemmon were both terrific in this movie, and if there wasn't an original version to compare this to, it might have gotten a higher rating.

+
Attachments

Name:	You Cant Run Away from It-1956.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	21754  

Eve Knew Her Apples (1945)

This is another musical remake of the 1934 classic It Happened One Night. There are some changes to the story from the original version, (like making her a singer to add the songs), but basically the story is the same as the original version.

Overall, this is a pretty good movie with some funny moments, but again, it's not as good as the original version. It has some great songs, and Ann Miller has a beautiful voice.

+
Attachments

Name:	Eve Knew Her Apples-1945-wide.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	21755  

The Hustler (1961) - I watched this movie for the 7th Hall of Fame. I decided to make it the first movie I watched from the HoF because I wanted to give it a chance for the 60's Movies List as well.

On the surface, this is a sports movie, but it's really more about the characters. It's interesting to note that the main character, Fast Eddie, is a pretty unlikable character, while his opponent, Minnesota Fats, is portrayed as a nice, classy guy. Also, Fast Eddie's manager, Bert, is the most unlikable character in the movie, and he's portrayed as a bit of an a-hole.

WARNING: "SPOILERS!!!" spoilers below
What makes this movie great is the way that Fast Eddie goes from being obsessed with not only playing pool, but winning, and beating the best players, to understanding that there's more to life than pool, and he needs to grow up. Sadly, he had to lose everything to learn that lesson.

One of the nice things about this movie is that it was so good that it made me want to see the sequel, even though I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise, and I usually avoid his movies.

Attachments

Name:	The Hustler-1961.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	21756  

The Color of Money (1986) - I normally avoid Tom Cruise's movies, but after watching The Hustler, I wanted to see this sequel.

This is a pretty good movie, but a bit disappointing too. I waited the entire movie for the big showdown, that was inevitable, but then after it was over, I felt like I was also deprived of it. (That will make more sense after you see the movie.)

It could be because I've never been a fan of Tom Cruise, but I hated his character. In The Hustler, Fast Eddie knew how good he was, and he was kind of obnoxious at times, but not in a way that you hated the character. In this movie, Tom Cruise's character Vince was the new protégé that Fast Eddie took under his wing, and he knew how good he was too, but he was an obnoxious pr!ck, (for lack of a better word).

Paul Newman was very good in the movie, but I suspect that part of the reason that he won the Oscar for this movie was to make up for him not winning it for The Hustler in 1961.

Attachments

Name:	The Color of Money-1986.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	21757  

Letter from an Unknown Woman (1948) - I watched this movie for the 7th Hall of Fame. This is the movie that I was looking forward to the most because it sounded like my type of movie.

This is a very good movie, but it's also a very sad movie. The movie is told in flashbacks as Stefan Brand (Louis Jourdan) reads the letter. Joan Fontaine and Louis Jourdan were both terrific, and they had great chemistry when they were together, but it didn't really feel like they belonged together.

WARNING: "SPOILER!!!" spoilers below
She spent her whole life trying to find the man she loved, only to find out that he never really loved her. She deserved better, and he didn't deserve her.

+
Attachments

Name:	Letter from an Unknown Woman-1948-bw-L.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	21758  

To Sir, with Love (1967)

This is a good movie, but it's one of the more tame versions of the good teacher vs. juvenile delinquent students movies.

As always, Sidney Poitier is great, but the rest of the cast is a lot of unknowns who are good, but some of them had such strong accents that it was hard to understand them. (I know, most of you who are overseas are probably wondering "what accent?", but trust me, it was hard to understand the students.)

+
Attachments

Name:	To Sir, with Love-1967.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	21759  

Hi GB! Now that I'm here... thought I'd mention what I thought was the best new movie I've seen in a long time. (Hope this is an okay thread on which to do so). And for those who may not know - new movies for me doesn't mean what's in the theater, more like, what's arrived at the library or has shown up on one of the cable channels I have.

Anyway... it was "The Book Thief". I understand some people don't like it, but I thought it was masterful (and I cried like a baby). I especially liked it because it seemed so far from most of the stuff Hollywood is cranking out these days.