Alright - Whattsa Matta?

Tools    

Well, as you may have noticed, MovieForums has been fairly inactive recently, and I'm just as stumped as anyone else as to why. Obviously the traffic is a little slow (about 20 unique visitors per day), but MovieForums is listed in Yahoo as well as several other significant directories - does anyone have any advice on how I can get the word out?

I'd be interested in the URLs of any other related sites that might be interested in trading links - I'm willing to work a little to try to get this community off the ground.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Does anyone think posting reviews, etc would make a nice addition to complement the boards?

Well commish, Im not sure how long you've been in operation now, but Im assuming it's not for as long as alot of other movie forum/review based out there.

Im sure, being a web designer, you've spent some time just floating around and marveling, as I do, at the sheer vastness of this world wide web thing. I think that movie watching is an extremely common hobby for most Americans to take up, and to share with one another. If you're new to the internet, it provides a quick common ground for orientation and discussion. So, in my fairly limited experience in website movie discussion as a hobby, Ive discovered that there are literally countless numbers of websites out there to log onto.

Getting connected to links is obviously a good idea. That's how I found your site. Upgrading the overall quality of your website is obviously also always a good idea.

Have you ever been to CHUD (Cinematic Happenings Under Development)? Im not really sure why that one is so hot right now, maybe its the alterna/underground suggestive title of the discussion forums known as The Sewer.

Maybe the thing to think about most is just sheer visual appearance. If it looks like theres stuff goin' down, there probably is.

Good luck,
Im hangin' around
-the tiger

angrytiger,

You're right, MovieForums has only been up for around a month. I myself am not new to the net, but this site most definetly is.

I also agree that I should add more content...a nice busy page will always get someone's attention.

Well, I told the assembled throng from my message board about this place, so maybe a few of them will show up to discuss movies, etc. (I also posted the link to the ClutchCity.net boards. They have several movie discussions over there in the hangout area, so maybe some folks will come by from there, too.) I promise nothing, though.

Wow, thanks Ryan!

I definetly appreciate any kind of links or anything of the sort; thanks be to you!

Also; if you find any other movie sites that you think would like to trade links, feel free to email me with them!

Also; do you think I should post some movie reviews here? Rhonda (PeskyP) and I have been toying around with the idea...but I definetly need the "approval" of the board!

Also, there's no need for it yet (not enough traffic), but perhaps your own @MovieForums.com emails would be of interest once it picks up?

I think having content (things like movie reviews) since it can prime the pump for the discussions. So, I think you can put me down as voting for "yes" for the movie reviews idea.

Creating a community is the difficult part of starting a website ....

But I've posted a link under every moviepage on my site http://www.filmbug.com (just for a while ... i can't keep the links up forever ...)

I guess that brings you some visitors ... and some new interesting threads.

Keep up the good work.

Misja

Thanks very much Misja - I very much appreciate it!

Another question to toss out: should I make the review here exsclusive to MovieForums, or should I syndicate them a bit in hopes of bringing in new traffic?

Hey Chris,

I have been meaning to reply to this thread for some time (just now getting around to it!). I may introduce a message board on Movie-Fever.com in the future, but for now I would be willing to put a link on each of our review pages. Maybe some of our visitors/subscribers will pay you a visit

EDIT: By the way I am a little bias (as I might be interested in using them), but I would syndicate. Atleast for awhile to get the hits rolling in. If you decide to do so let me know.

Wow, that's VERY nice of you Bob. I'll likely be leaving your banner up a lot longer then.

You guys are being great...I love all you're doing for this board...I really feel it's people like you all who turn places like this into thriving communities!

The Adventure Starts Here!
I think movie reviews (very prompt ones) is a good idea. Chris, I know you go to a lot of movies just as they come out, so that might be a starting point, along with Rhonda.

My guess is that those might be on an opening page. I know people scope out stuff like reviews on the web before doling out their movie dollars on Friday and Saturday nights. If you could get reviews up there pronto somehow (that first weekend), it would be a plus.

Yes, a lot of changing stuff on the opening page would help bring people back. I realize this is a forum site (duh), but other content would help keep people here.

By the way, these reply windows, etc., are very easy to maneuver around. Good job. Plus, I'm glad it doesn't display my text in teensy point sizes that I can't read! Bravo.

In case anyone is wondering...yes, "Austruck" is my mom...no cracks about it either.

Reviews will definetly take their place here soon. I'm actually hoping this forum becomes more active...if it does, I'll be able to justify branching this out into another site or two...all of the sites "connected" with links to each other...one would be, of course, for Reviews.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Well I already told you my way, i went into AOL chatrooms and said "are you curious?" and then posted the link, i doubt it did anything, but i tried. I think you should upload Movie Previews, I dont know how much webspace you have though. But if you wanna get the previews, go to either http://www.upcomingmovies.com, http://www.adcritic.com, or if you jsut wanna some funny stuff check out the videos at my site, http://www.peterco.com (what a run on sentance)

Web space wouldn't be a major issue...but those clips are copywritten anyway...I'll be lucky if I can squeeze out a picture of a movie poster to put on the review pages!

Ohhh yea, I forgot about that, well if you just but a little disclaimer at the bottom I don't think anyone will care to much. I thought that the copyright only came into concern if you changed the original material, or claimed it as your own?

Actually, I just checked it out with the guy who owns http://www.adcritic.com, you don't need any sort of permission to put a commerical on the site, as long as you don't try and take credit for it. :-)

Hmmm...interesting. I'll look into it a bit, but it would still take up a lot more space and bandwidth than otherwise.

Side note: how do you guys like the new polls built into the posts? Pretty cool, huh? You guys can post em' too!

Ta Daaa! My first post here.... drawn in from Sitepoint.

I think it would be an idea to have a resources area where people can post their own film related essays, articles, comments etc. That way you may be able to draw in film and media students to the site, and you would be able to slip into all the student web-rings etc. Web-rings are always a good plan I think, it brings a self targetted audience.

Peter

(OK so my nik here is George Bailey, but that's just in honour of James Stewart).

Do you like the popcorn?

Interesting idea. I love the popcorn. Just so everyone knows: the little on/off popcorn icons on the mainpage were created by "George" here.

I'll definetly think your idea over...I'd take some thinking to come up with a good way to allow the public to add to our site without it getting out of hand of course, though.