X-Men Reviewed

→ in
Tools    

Hi all this review ran in the last issue of our newsletter, I hope it's helpful for those of you who haven't yet seen the X-Men movie (like myself) and are thinking of going.

Review by Laurie L.

I heard about X-Men about two and a half years ago when Patrick Stewart mentioned the film during a Star Trek interview. I've been eagerly awaiting the movie ever since. I'm thrilled to say that it was excellent and held up to every expectation I had. I went with my best friend who has never read the comics or seen the cartoon, but still knew of the project since she doesn't live under a rock. I gave her a quick background summary before we saw it and after the film was over, she was impressed with it. When I first heard of the casting, I was skeptical over the casting of relative unknown Hugh Jackman for Wolverine. Jackman completely dominated the role, the screen, and brought sensitivity to Wolverine that I didn't think was possible. The entire cast was perfect with acting that nearly overshadowed the special effects, which were utterly amazing in their own right. The beauty part of the film is that you really don't need to know a thing about X-Men to be wrapped up in the characters and their abilities. This flick could be viewed by anybody, which reminds me of the Batman series. If I had to pick something to complain about, here it is...the film was too short. I wanted more when it was over and I don't recall feeling that way in quite some time. I'm definitely at the head of the line for any sequel.

Best regards,

I loved it as well...Jackman stole the shole...as a reviewer from IGN said...Jackman IS WOLVERINE!

I can't think of one part which was poorly cast either...Halle Berry wasn't incompetent, as I had expected. If you read some of the pre-release reviews, you'd expect a lot worse than what this movie had to offer...however most of the dissapointments come from MAJOR die-hard fans...complaining that there was too much background. Personally I think it was needed to help newer fans along the way.

The characters were HIGHLY believable...no mindless action/effects here. I felt sorry for Rogue when she was wolfing down that food in Wolverine's truck...you couldn't help but do so, the actress cast for her part was VERY good at looking vulnerable!

A fair amount of people didn't like Scott Marsden as Cyclops...but he was perfect...a bit robot-like, just like he's supposed to be.

Most of all though, the OPENING SCENE! My goodness, it was amazingly powerful. What a clever and audience-grabbing way to open the movie...probably the best movie opening I've seen since "The World Is Not Enough"

Whew...well, that's my review. Oh and for those who didn't know/hear/realize, the villian "Toad" is played by Ray Park...AKA, Star Wars' "Darth Maul"

[Edited by TWTCommish on 07-12-2001]

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I loved it, cant wait for the sequels.