Should the use of AI be allowed for film restoration?

Tools    

This is apparently the next big debate that is brewing, whether or not AI should be used in the process of film restoration, usually one of the major steps in re-issuing a movie (in theaters or home video).

To be clear, there is a big difference between generative AI and the kind of AI that is being used to restore films digitally.

Here's an article from the NYT for those who may be interested in reading it.

A.I. Made These Movies Sharper. Critics Say It Ruined Them.

Machine-learning technologies are being used in film restoration for new home video releases. But some viewers strongly dislike the results.

By Calum Marsh
Published April 13, 2024

In 1998, Geoff Burdick, an executive at James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment, was hunched in front of a 12-inch monitor at a postproduction house, carefully preparing “Titanic” for release on LaserDisc and VHS. A state-of-the-art computer process had made it possible for Burdick and his team to scour the film frame by frame, removing tiny imperfections embedded in the original negative: little scratches, flakes of dirt, even water stains that smeared the image. The computer could erase these blemishes using a kind of copy-paste tool, concealing the defects with information from another frame.

Burdick, now a senior vice president at the company, told me that this process “seemed like freaking magic at the time.” And yet the results were not entirely well-received. “There were a lot of people who said that this was the most beautiful VHS they’d ever seen in their life, because we’d gotten rid of all that gobbledygook,” he recalled. “But there were a lot of folks who said, ‘This is not right! You’ve removed all of this stuff! If the negative is scratched, then we should see that scratch.’ People were really hard-core about it.”

In the decades since, home video formats have reached higher and higher resolutions, with VHS and LaserDisc giving way to DVD and Blu-ray, and eventually to ultra high-definition 4K discs, known as Ultra HD Blu-rays. As the picture quality has improved, restoration tools have evolved with them, making it easier than ever for filmmakers to fine-tune their work using computers. Several of Cameron’s films, including “The Abyss,” “True Lies” and “Aliens,” were recently released on Ultra HD Blu-ray in newly restored versions that are clearer and sharper than ever before — the product of painstaking attention from Lightstorm and Cameron himself. “I think they look the best they’ve ever looked,” Burdick said.

But as with the old “Titanic” home video, these restorations have proved controversial, with many viewers objecting strenuously to their pristine new look. What has caught the particular ire of critics is the fact that these versions have been restored, in part, using artificial intelligence. Park Road Post Production, the New Zealand company owned by the filmmaker Peter Jackson, helped clean up Cameron’s films using some of the same proprietary machine-learning software used on Jackson’s documentaries “The Beatles: Get Back” and “They Shall Not Grow Old.” The images in Cameron’s classic blockbusters were refined in a way that many felt looked strange and unnatural.

The level of detail is eye-popping. Water looks crystalline; colors are bright and vivid, while blacks are deep and inky. Some surfaces, however, do look a little glossy, with a buffed sheen that appears almost lacquered. It can be hard to pinpoint what is changed. But there does seem to be a difference, and depending on the viewer, it can feel slightly uncanny.

“It just looks weird, in ways that I have difficulty describing,” the journalist Chris Person said of these releases. “It’s plasticine, smooth, embossed at the edges. Skin texture doesn’t look correct. It all looks a little unreal.”

Person is among a number of viewers who are skeptical of the need to use A.I. to “enhance” the appearance of films that seemed to look fine to begin with. Although he said that there were “legitimate use cases” for A.I. in restoration, such as when a film’s original negative has been lost or badly damaged, he suspected that with something like “True Lies,” they were “using it just because they can.”

The recent Cameron releases, and particularly “True Lies,” have become the subject of intense scrutiny and fervent debate online. Home video reviewers have described it as an overly sanitized presentation, with one faulting its “routinely odd-looking images” and another arguing that it appears “almost artificial.” Web forums are teeming with complaints, often vicious, while social media posts criticizing it have spread widely.

Dan Best, the general manager at Park Road Post, acknowledged the debate around remastering movies. “The thing is, technology is changing,” he added. “People are viewing things at a lot higher resolutions at the moment. Therefore, a lot of recent films are being enhanced for these new viewing platforms.” Traditional home video releases were adequate for the days of tube TVs and 1080p video, in other words. But in the era of OLED screens and 4K smart TVs, restorations need a little more to meet increasingly high standards.

Burdick, who has been dealing with this kind of criticism since the “Titanic” days, seemed resigned to the fact that “you can’t please everybody at the end of the day,” though he accepted that the response to these Ultra HD Blu-rays was especially heated. The dissenters, he argued, were mainly just disappointed that “Aliens,” “True Lies” and “The Abyss” no longer look like they did in the VHS or DVD eras.

“People love these movies, which I think is great,” he said. “And they take that love to heart. So when the movie suddenly doesn’t look like they remember it looking, or the way they think they remember it looking, or it just doesn’t look the way they think it should, they get upset. What can you do?”

It doesn’t help that there is a stigma around the technology: Dissenters not only bristle at the appearance of these restorations — they are also unhappy that it is A.I. being used to make them appear that way.

But, Burdick said, that disapproval is based partly on misconception: “People hear, ‘Oh, they’re using A.I.,’ and they’re thinking about pirate ships and the cup of coffee,” — a reference to a recent viral video of a miniature ship sailing in a coffee mug, all generated with A.I. — “and they’re like, ‘What are you doing to it?’ But nobody is doing that to these movies,” he explained. “It’s not the same A.I., conceptually. It’s more like, this piece of negative looks kind of cruddy, and we can use some software to improve it, carefully.”

Best, at Park Road, said that this kind of A.I. upscaling was “definitely not the same” as the kind of generative A.I. used in apps like Midjourney or ChatGPT. Generative A.I. is a type of machine learning model that creates information, including images and videos, from users’ prompts. A.I. upscaling is subtler and less intrusive, using machine learning to refine an image without inventing new material from scratch. Generative A.I. could, say, add more aliens to “Aliens.” A.I. upscaling just adds more pixels, polishing the pre-existing images.

Eric Yang, the founder of the A.I. upscaling company Topaz Labs, said that one of the main differences between A.I. upscaling and generative A.I. was fidelity to the original source: With upscaling, “the enhancement that you get does not measurably change the meaning or the content of the image.” Nevertheless, he said that misunderstandings about the technology have given the whole enterprise a certain ignominy.

“People try not to talk about it,” he said. “Nobody likes to say that their film was A.I. upscaled or that a certain release had A.I. applied to it.”

The reluctance to admit to using A.I. is understandable given some recent controversies. In 2021, the filmmaker Morgan Neville came under fire when it was revealed that his documentary “Roadrunner” used A.I. software to create a deepfaked version of Anthony Bourdain’s voice for narration; last month, the horror film “Late Night with the Devil” was criticized for using A.I.-generated imagery, with some critics going so far as to call for the film’s boycott.

Although “Get Back” and “They Shall Not Grow Old,” which involved footage from World War I, made extensive use of the same A.I. processes, they did not receive as much criticism. That’s partly because of the condition of the source material: Both films took damaged archival images and appeared to reverse the deterioration, and in one case, to also colorize it. By contrast, the recent Cameron restorations were based on new 4K scans of the original negative, none of which needed extensive repair of that kind.

“It’s not a question of the negative being damaged,” Burdick conceded. “But back on the set, maybe you picked the shot that had the most spectacular performance, but the focus puller was a bit off, so it’s a bit soft. There could be a million reasons why it’s not perfect. So now there’s an opportunity to just go in and improve it.” The A.I. can artificially refocus an out-of-focus image, as well as make other creative tweaks. “You don’t want to crank the knob all the way because then it’ll look like garbage,” Burdick said. “But if we can make it look a little better, we might as well.”

For viewers like Person, the problem is what those minor enhancements entail: That uncanny smoothness, though perhaps more in focus, can look oddly fake. “I don’t want to sound anal, but it really is egregious,” Person said. “It’s the same thing as TV motion smoothing — they say it’s better, so you feel like you’re the one person cursed with vision who can see that it looks bad.”

Anything that might lead to image smoothing films would be a grotesque use of the technology.

Yes, image smoothing looks like garbage. No, there is no debate about this.

But if we are talking about just using the technology to restore (instead of 'enhance') I can't see any problem with it.

Anything that might lead to image smoothing films would be a grotesque use of the technology.

Yes, image smoothing looks like garbage. No, there is no debate about this.

But if we are talking about just using the technology to restore (instead of 'enhance') I can't see any problem with it.
They're not talking about AI "image smoothing" in the article, but about AI "upscaling".

Also this shit where the guy talks about how sometimes a shot might not be perfect, because of a technical glitch, and AI can repair that.....**** off with that. Some Dingus with a labcoat on who probably ****s robots isn't the one to judge what things in a piece of art need improvement. Or what perfection is and why reaching for that bar is not what art is even about.

They're not talking about AI "image smoothing" in the article, but about AI "upscaling".

They are talking about adding pixels and correcting what they consider flaws. The result could easily be the same, no matter what they want to call it

My philosophy on just about all this stuff is that true neutrality can't be achieved, and I can imagine ways in which it could be used responsibly, so all I really want is for it to be clearly marked/labeled. I want people to explain their process and make it clear what people are (or are not) watching, and then from there they can make up their own minds.

My philosophy on just about all this stuff is that true neutrality can't be achieved, and I can imagine ways in which it could be used responsibly, so all I really want is for it to be clearly marked/labeled. I want people to explain their process and make it clear what people are (or are not) watching, and then from there they can make up their own minds.

After what happened with the Star Wars improvements, I have no faith in these people keeping the films, in their original state, in circulation.

Absolutely zero faith.

They could also include both versions on the blu-ray, and let us watch whatever we prefer... clearly labeled, of course

Yep. I recall similar expressions of horror when movies started being digitized.....tuning Art into a bunch of ones and zeros. The horror.

Like a lot of things, we will see. Digital restoration of old, deteriorated film has been going on for a long time. This is mainly the next phase, but AI is the digital boogyman of the moment, like when "it" decides, e.g., that Rhett Butler and Scarlet O'Hara should reconcile or that Jaws would be better as a killer whale.

I guess, whoever owns the movie will ultimately have to decide if the results are OK, but I don't think there's any way to get this cat back in the bag. Whether it's "allowed" will be determined by whoever owns the rights to the movie.

Hong Kong action film buff.
Yep. I recall similar expressions of horror when movies started being digitized.....tuning Art into a bunch of ones and zeros. The horror.

Like a lot of things, we will see. Digital restoration of old, deteriorated film has been going on for a long time. This is mainly the next phase, but AI is the digital boogyman of the moment, like when "it" decides, e.g., that Rhett Butler and Scarlet O'Hara should reconcile or that Jaws would be better as a killer whale.

I guess, whoever owns the movie will ultimately have to decide if the results are OK, but I don't think there's any way to get this cat back in the bag. Whether it's "allowed" will be determined by whoever owns the rights to the movie.

It also depends on what type of AI it is. Upscaling, nah. Restoration, maybe. But yall never saw the HONG KONG LEGENDS company back in UK using AI to sell their DVDS.. maybe because their company shut down last decade..

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Absolutely not. Not with the current level of progress of AI, anyway.

That being said, it's a truism that true neutrality is impossible to achieve. I believe that a person responsible for restoration can implement changes against the original author's intent just like AI can. For example, color grading in restorations can sometimes be unfaithful to the original print's hues. However, I believe the human restorator must keep fast to the original look and feel of the film and that humans generally do a better job at it, having a better artistic sense and all.

If we use AI sporadically just to perform a menial task a restorator would have to otherwise perform by hand, this is fine. However, the restorator should still have full control over the look of the final product. It's the restorator who should be the author of the restoration, not AI.

It's bad if you just mindlessly let AI do the whole job (or a part of the job), and then agree with the look the AI arrived at, a look that was achieved by modifying the original piece, smoothing it, coloring it, improving it, upscaling it, increasing the quality of it, or changing the color gradation of it. But it's almost equally bad if you let the restorator do the same things against the original author's intent. The human can do a better job at modifying the original piece, but they will be modifying it all the same.

This gets muddy when we don't know about the intent of the original author, and we have a severely damaged original material with no notes from the filmmakers to know what to do with it. Such cases are quite rare, though, and they simply make it impossible to restore the piece at all without becoming the co-author of the film, not just the restorator.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Crumbs munged his terms a bit, but there was a comparison to motion smoothing at the end, which captures the issue that's been present in every re-mastering to date. A.I. is just on everyone's mind (and will allow large studios to make terrible restorations at a faster rate), so we're only talking about it because of the words "A.I." attached to it.

I was hoping it was going to be more about something more interesting than upscaling (which got alluded to somewhat with the "They Shall Not Grow Old" examples to reverse the deterioration, though I'm not sure how I feel about the colorization. Granted, that's presumably documentary footage and not an original artistic choice, I think.)
One scale of the, "maybe it won't be an A.I. apocalypse," would be training AI with restorations that cinephiles generally approve of for older movies (e.g. color correction from faded film/etc), for doing first passes. Or, as I got from listening to the Ezra Klein show's recent podcast, as an ongoing dialogue between a person and the A.I. for what they want. "Don't correct that loss of focus between x:xx and x:xx, that was part of the original film."

Granted, my mentality and examples here are oriented a lot more towards films that were actually shot in film.

After what happened with the Star Wars improvements, I have no faith in these people keeping the films, in their original state, in circulation.
Yeah I don't either.

Every time someone asks this kind of thing two answers pop into my head: there's a "what would happen in a perfect world" answer and the "what we should advocate to mitigate the reality" answer. I don't think we're going to stop this from happening, so I fall back on what we can do to retain transparency and encourage preservation.

Yeah I don't either.

Every time someone asks this kind of thing two answers pop into my head: there's a "what would happen in a perfect world" answer and the "what we should advocate to mitigate the reality" answer. I don't think we're going to stop this from happening, so I fall back on what we can do to retain transparency and encourage preservation.
I guess I go with the, there's going to be a lot more crap cases than good cases, but let me at least try to think of how the good cases could shake out, in some sort of solipsistic exercise that that will somehow cause more of the good cases to actually happen. Like 75/25 bad/good instead of 80/20. (and hope the 20-25 is disproportionately applied to the movies I care about more, tbh).

I have a question for fans of 4k, and anyone really...look at the bottom image that's been enhanced by AI...Is that an improvement over the top image which is already sharp? Do people in the real world look that sharp and contrast-y?

I have a question for fans of 4k, and anyone really...look at the bottom image that's been enhanced by AI...Is that an improvement over the top image which is already sharp? Do people in the real world look that sharp and contrast-y?

I prefer the top image, but it's not a huge difference to me.

Yeah I don't either.

If the question was, do I think I can do anything about what a bunch of talentless shits are going to do with film history, I'd probably say no.

But if the question is should they do it, I'm not going to resign myself to what might be inevitable there too. I'm going to say these people suck and they shouldn't even be allowed in movie theaters, let alone with master copies of films they probably don't even understand the greatness of to begin with.

Even if the fight is in vain, sometimes you still fight it, if only to feel you at least have some power inside of the discourse surrounding it.