Ratatouille

→ in
Tools    

You see Chris, I agree with Bird on this one. There is just way too much going on for Ratatouille to add on to the "important stuff" that Linguini should be able to grow as a chef because he's Gusteau's son. In fact, the only two reasons I believe Linguini's revealed to be Gusteau's son are: (1) for him to get hooked up with Gusteau's "true son" who teaches him things but cannot convey the true love which Remy has. Remy is actually Gusteau's son, if not genetically, at least through that damned TV/cookbook and the way it convinces him to "rise above his station"; (2) Linguini has to foil that scumbag Skinner who's completely selling off the Gusteau name and is a hilarious character who needs to be put in his place. That, to me, is the entire reason that Linguini HAS to be his pop's son, and not to learn something because he is. If you were going to incorporate that subplot into the current version of Ratatouille, it would have to be at least two-and-one-half hours long. So I say, no thanks. If you want to explore it, you can put it in Rato 2: The Revenge of the Yucky Nibblers.
I see what you're getting at, though I suppose I'd rather scrap a lot of the Skinner stuff if it means more character development. I'm not entirely sure he needs to be Gusteau's son for (1) to happen. I realize that, if they want to keep and do everything that they actually kept and did, adding the kind of depth I'm suggesting would make the movie overlong. I'm thinking of a different movie entirely, where a few central conflicts are changed and the focus is shifted. It's hard to piece together because obviously we only have our own imaginations and what's on screen, of course, but I agree that simply making these changes to the actual, existing film would probably be messy.

I guess it just comes down to which is more important to any given moviegoer. I find myself bored and exasperated most of the time Linguini's on screen, and I'm not used to having to make excuses for any Pixar character, really. But if the idea of them being two halves, or two conceptions of Gusteau's "son" is striking enough to you, I could understand why it wouldn't bother you. To each their own, of course.

This was my least favorite of all the Pixar films so far. It's also the only Pixar film that can't hold the attention of my children for more than about 30 minutes before they're bored with it. It's not a bad movie, it's just not as good as what I'm used to from Pixar.

it was really really one of the better movies that year.

Sure, I'm a mom that loves watching my children movies more than they do.. haha but this one is a top 5 for sure!

Wonderful film. Pixar did it again with this one.

A Charming and cute little film. My family and I will for sure see it again!)

I liked what i have seen of it so far and i was very surprised that there were guns in the movie(especially in the beginning) since its only G
Actually, there were no guns in the film. It is a cartoon, so nothing in it is actually real. If the old woman had been shooting people, and there had been blood splattering everywhere, I might have been concerned that it had a G rating. I say might because, again, (and I emphasize) it was a cartoon. It was an old woman shooting rats. I fail to see the cause for alarm here.

But that is just my humble O.

Blue Cowboy

Not sure anyone's advocating "alarm," just surprise at the rating. Obviously the "G" rating implies that there's next to nothing even remotely objectionable for any age group, so I'd kinda agree that the presence of a shotgun, which actually unloads a few rounds, is a little surprising.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Gone With the Wind is rated G, and it's got thousands of guns, lots of dead bodies, and Scarlett O'Hara shoots a Yankee in the face at point blank range who's attempting to rape her, and they show his face afterwards. Of course, the last time it was rated was back in 1971, which was apparently before everybody had a cow about everything. Remember, the ratings didn't even start until 1968. What on Earth were parents to do before then?