The MoFo pre-1930 Countdown: preliminary thread

→ in
Tools    

This has been a great idea for a countdown...I've not only discovered a lot of cool pre 30s films... but more importantly I've had an epiphany that these old silent films were in some ways the height of cinema creativity, expressing film as art. I knew that there were some cool silent films, but I didn't realize just how serious the film makers were back in the day and so I'm glad for that realization.
Yeah, a bit of a shame some aren't that willing to embrace the era but I can understand some of the reasons why - it's not the easiest of periods but in it's own way it can be really rewarding I think.

Chympunk sends in our fourteenth list, some very dodgy selections but I guess they all count as long as they're dated 1929 or earlier. Those arms don't need to be quite so long now.

This has been a great idea for a countdown...I've not only discovered a lot of cool pre 30s films... but more importantly I've had an epiphany that these old silent films were in some ways the height of cinema creativity, expressing film as art. I knew that there were some cool silent films, but I didn't realize just how serious the film makers were back in the day and so I'm glad for that realization.
Yeah, a bit of a shame some aren't that willing to embrace the era but I can understand some of the reasons why - it's not the easiest of periods but in it's own way it can be really rewarding I think.
Agreed.... can’t say I was looking forward to watching a bunch of silents, but now I’m enthralled in this era and searching for more.

Agreed.... can’t say I was looking forward to watching a bunch of silents, but now I’m enthralled in this era and searching for more.
Kewl, hopefully the countdown might provide a few more avenues that you can explore should you wish.

Loner has provided our fifteenth list which moves our total of qualifying fillums ever higher

For those that want to but are yet to remit a list:

JUST UNDER TWO DAYS TO GO NOW

don't miss out folks, get those lists ordered and sent in

rauldc14 has sent in our sweet sixteenth list and I'm pleased to announce it has taken us beyond our second milestone so as it stands right now we will be having a Top 50 countdown

A Top 75 may end up being too much of a stretch but thus far we've 133 individual films nominated in total so there is plenty of scope for increasing the number of qualifying films if we can just get enough additional lists in. #eternaloptimist

rauldc14 has sent in our sweet sixteenth list and I'm pleased to announce it has taken us beyond our second milestone so as it stands right now we will be having a Top 50 countdown

A Top 75 may end up being too much of a stretch but thus far we've 133 individual films nominated in total so there is plenty of scope for increasing the number of qualifying films if we can just get enough additional lists in. #eternaloptimist
I'm happy to hear the countdown has reached 50 movies on it ...Which MoFos are expected to still send in a list, are there many more coming in do you think? Cricket for sure, but who else?

I'm happy to hear the countdown has reached 50 movies on it ...Which MoFos are expected to still send in a list, are there many more coming in do you think? Cricket for sure, but who else?
I don't want to name individuals that I hope I might yet see lists from as I don't think that would be fair on those individuals tbh. Life can sometimes get in the way of the best of plans.

I don't want to name individuals that I hope I might yet see lists from as I don't think that would be fair on those individuals tbh.
I was wondering more along the lines if some might have forgotten the deadline is coming very soon, not asking for a hit list Actually I'm just bumping the thread and hoped some MoFos would join in as I know at least one person in the 1930s countdown did miss the deadline.

I was wondering more along the lines if some might have forgotten the deadline is coming very soon, not asking for a hit list Actually I'm just bumping the thread and hoped some MoFos would join in as I know at least one person in the 1930s countdown did miss the deadline.
A bunch of people always do. Just the nature of the beast.

That said, with the deadline on a Sunday, you might get more than usual since a lot of people might not check in over the weekend, so if they didn't remember Friday they might not remember at all.

That said, with the deadline on a Sunday, you might get more than usual since a lot of people might not check in over the weekend, so if they didn't remember Friday they might not remember at all.
Now you point this out ... couldn't mention it like 4 months ago???

I have faith in the good MoFos

I didn't check the day of the week thing when it was announced.

But yeah, in the future I'll probably recommend deadlines be on Mondays or Tuesdays. I think there'll be a lot more people logging on at work on Monday and going "oh yeah!"

There's no reason it couldn't I guess but as of right now there's no need for that to be done either. Have a little more faith in your fellow MoFos people - situation can always be reassessed come Sunday morning if needs be.

I don't see why the deadline couldn't be extended a couple of days.
Agreed. Of course it's up to the host, but I can see the wisdom in extending the deadline a few days more, as we are trying to make the most inclusive countdown list possible.

I hope everyone knows that even though the deadline is on the 6th, for most of us in North America the deadline is literally on the 5th, unless North American's get up really early to send in a list... I just thought I'd mention that as I had initially thought I'd send my list in on the 6th, but then realized that would be too late.

The deadline for all lists will be 9am (IST/BST) on Sunday, October 6th (4am Eastern; 1am Pacific)

Sheesh.
If anybody else wants to take over the running of this please let me know.
Not everything can be run at times suitable to Americans, there's a whole other world out there ya know.

Sheesh.
If anybody else wants to take over the running of this please let me know.
Not everything can be run at times suitable to Americans, there's a whole other world out there ya know.
I don't think CR was trying to complain about the deadline, just giving a heads up to Americans about it.

(And by the way, you've done a great job running it so far , even though the countdown hasn't started technically).

I don't think CR was trying to complain about the deadline, just giving a heads up to Americans about it.

(And by the way, you've done a great job running it so far , even though the countdown hasn't started technically).
Yeah, I'm sure you're right - CR's been super-supportive over the past few months.

Just. Could. Do. Without. The. Drama. Deadline has been made clear for over four months but all of a sudden it's apparently an issue