George Romero Set for Land of the Dead

Tools    

I just know they're coming to kill me.
I just met what's left of the original cast from the original Night of the Living Dead earlier today at a horror film convention. I have pictures and everything, and I will be creating a thread about it later once the pictures have been resized. I did get a chance to speak with John Russo, original writer of the film and a zombie extra and Russel Streiner, who played Johnny, and both went over to Romero's place and saw an advanced viewing of Land of the Dead... I'll leave it at that until the thread is created...

Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
I just met what's left of the original cast from the original Night of the Living Dead earlier today at a horror film convention. I have pictures and everything, and I will be creating a thread about it later once the pictures have been resized. I did get a chance to speak with John Russo, original writer of the film and a zombie extra and Russel Streiner, who played Johnny, and both went over to Romero's place and saw an advanced viewing of Land of the Dead... I'll leave it at that until the thread is created...
Wow. That's something you don't hear every day.

Originally Posted by Krackalackin
Wow. That's something you don't hear every day.
Yeah... Sammy D. is re-sizing the pictures for me, the thread will be created as soon as she sends them back to me.

Got some new news for you guys. The hinted question would be, is it good news or is it bad news? Well, I don't really know how to interpret it. I guess it's good news but Startingly strange I'd say.
Apparently after Universal screened the finished movie, they decided to give Romero some extra money to go back and re-shoot some sequences! The buzz is that it had nothing to do with Romero's directing expertise but more of Universal's appreciation and admirance of the movie. It's been told that the Universal Screening audience liked it so much that they thought some parts deserved to be...bigger with more of a financial backing to really polish the movie and give it a bigger punch. I probably would've agreed with them so all in all, it's a great thing. The real question however is why was there ever a budget problem? Romero recieved more money than he even asked for. He first wanted 14 mil then lowered it to 10 when investors were hard to find. It's been recorded however that this movie took 17 1/2 to complete so it makes you think. Now that I'm typing this, that also sounds like a good thing because it probably means they were doing things bigger than the original budget and screenplay called for which if that's the case, we're looking to have more definitely the greatest DEAD FILM ever! But once again, you never know because a small part of me hopes he doesn't pull a George Lucas and winds up watering down the raw feel of the movie and polishing it so damn much, it reminds you of a Disney picture. I honestly don't think that's gonna happen because one thing about George is as nice as a guy he is, he has a tendency to write things violent and that's pretty much all he does. And they don't seem to be getting less violent either. If anything, he's showing violence or just plain terror in new, different ways but all with the same macabre morbid look that we've all looked for him to deliver.
And don't worry about the release date. It hasn't been changed and is still planned to come out the 21st of October which we'll all pack theaters to see. Now if only we could get our hands on some footage...hmmm...

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I know krackalackin loves posting the news, but this was too good to pass up:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/ind...plate=newsfull

It's been bumped up a whole four months and is now being released June 24th!!! Bliss....

Originally Posted by OG-
I know krackalackin loves posting the news, but this was too good to pass up:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/ind...plate=newsfull

It's been bumped up a whole four months and is now being released June 24th!!! Bliss....
Props to that! Now we can see it a hell of a lot sooner! Unfortunately I might not see it in theaters though because because I'm entering Basic Training for the Army the 31st. Hopefully it'll still be in theaters when I get back. I think it will be...Hopefully. But as for the rest of you in any case, feel lucky.

Props to that! Now we can see it a hell of a lot sooner! Unfortunately I might not see it in theaters though because because I'm entering Basic Training for the Army the 31st. Hopefully it'll still be in theaters when I get back. I think it will be...Hopefully. But as for the rest of you in any case, feel lucky.
Man, that's a bummer. I hope it works out because it's obvious you have a love for Romero. And good luck with basic.

I can not wait til Land of the Dead comes out and hope it's bloodier than all the other Dead movies.

Originally Posted by jrs
According to Movies Online, the trailer for George Romero's Land of the Dead will hit hit cinemas along with XXX State of the Union on April 29th.
Will we be able to see it online?

Originally Posted by Hartagan7607
I can not wait til Land of the Dead comes out and hope it's bloodier than all the other Dead movies.
You're in luck because it will be. I know for two reasons. 1. (this one being the most convincing) I have a copy of one of the screenplay drafts and it is more violent than even Day of The Dead. Different however. It has a wider scope and is more cinematically pleasing. It's not so spearheaded on bigotry as Day of the Dead (the final script) was. 2. KNB FX headed by Savini's star Pupil, Greg Nicotero, has vowed along with Romero of course to outdo any and every DEAD flick ever before. That means the effects will be even more real (thanks in part to a substantial budget) and more elaborate (meaning more blood and guts).
It'll be somethin else. Like all of Romero's DEAD movies (save Day of the Dead [no thanks to a shockingly puny budget)]), this one should change the course of the Horror genre itself. NOTLD did it by being the first modern horror film and Dawn of the Dead did it being the first of the great Splatter horror movies of the 80's. I predict this movie in spite of the violence will more likely influence how new horror movies are written, bringing back more sustenance to them like in the old days when Horror and Sci-Fi were the same genre. That means hopefully, less teenager party slayings and no more fast paced rock music complete with guns blazing after just parachuting out of a plane scenarios. Sadly in todays horror industry, even the most promising can fall short (Amnityville Horro Remake). I know it already has changed the zombie horror genre looking at many of them that have popped up or announced a production date. Lot of influence already in the works too.

Got a couple new pictures for ya. Apparently big daddy isn't missing an arm like in the script but meh. Who cares. Enjoy.

You're in luck because it will be. I know for two reasons. 1. (this one being the most convincing) I have a copy of one of the screenplay drafts and it is more violent than even Day of The Dead.
How many screenplay drafts are there?

Originally Posted by Escape
How many screenplay drafts are there?
Maybe many but there were only two I ever found available. The first one was on the net more than a year ago so it isn't really around anymore. It only resembled the latest Draft which was posted on Movies online.ca (passed down from another site). This script however is also no longer available because Universal "asked them to kindly" take the script off their site because it ruins marketing and anticipation. I know, I know. A lot of you probably want to know what happens in the script to a T. I'd love to tell ya, I really would but unfortunately and you guys can beat me over the head for this, I lost the last five pages of it somehow when I printed it. I didn't care because I thought I'd always be able to redownload it. Too bad Big Brother Universal stepped in only several days later and told them to take it off. Also, with all seriousness, it's not the kind of script you really want to read. It's not a big Blockbuster Action Movie like "War of The Worlds" or "Pulp Fiction". Not to say it's a boring read or anything like that. How could it be. It just doesn't leave you with a satisfying feeling after reading it though. I felt I didn't get much out of reading the script and was pissed at myself for reading it before the movie came out. It's the kinds of script that's only worth reading when you're WATCHING. Sadly however, I'll tell you one thing. I personally thought the original Day of the Dead script was more gritty and all in all more frightening. Probably because this movie has a hero unlike Dawn and Day. I'll tell you guys though. The original Day of the Dead script is so great, it scares the blood out of you just reading it. I'm not even kidding. It's so well written in its approach of separating itself from the cushiony real world and back to basics of survival and sheer traumatizing experiences of old. Romero really painted a whole different world flawlessly. A world where you're unshelterd from inconcievable violence where fighting off the butchering of human prey is everyday life for you. The system no longer exist and the remnants of it have gone crazy from its own crumbling obsessiveness to solve the problem into morbid fascist mayhem. Read it here. It's worth the read. I haven't read any horror script quite like this. I can't explain it with words. Just read it.

Thanks for posting that man, I've been looking for something good to read.

Edit, have you read the script for Diamond Dead? I've avoided it, don't like knowing too much before hand, but I hear it's great.

And this is my BOOMstick!
*craps himself*