‘Hate-watching’ — is it a thing?

Tools    

The person who mentioned wrestling is on point as that is probably the genesis of hate watching. Frequently heels were popular draws because they represented people we were conditioned to hate. Russians, Arabs, arrogant braggarts, rich people, homosexuals. So even though something like wrestling isn't a specifically deep spectacle, it absolutely aims at exciting our deeply rooted biases and prejudices.
Yeah, though the best heels don't rely on such easy prejudices to get "cheap heat" like that, like when The Rock went Hollywood back in '03, as you can see here:

As a completionist, I would say I operate the same way. I don't like starting films and leaving them unfinished. Even I still hate them, I try to make an effort to get through them all.

Yeah, though the best heels don't rely on such easy prejudices to get "cheap heat" like that, like when The Rock went Hollywood back in '03, as you can see here:

I wasn't trying to imply all heels are playing exclusively on prejudice (even though they frequently do),but that people watch to hate them. To boo them and root against them. To potentially see them punished.

Rock, from what little I know, was mostly a braggart, which while not instilling the kind of fervent hate that a heel based on a specific prejudice might inspire, still makes one root for his comeuppance. Even if, sometimes, particular wrestlers playing a villain also have enough charisma for us to also kinda like them.

As a completionist, I would say I operate the same way. I don't like starting films and leaving them unfinished. Even I still hate them, I try to make an effort to get through them all.
That’s a very elegant way of putting it. I think I’m the same.

going through my collection
Great discussion here, yes it's basically imo seeing through the techniques of what you're seeing, the film or show is trying to be clever, but you the viewer aren't fooled, it's like being insulted indirectly.

That's some bad hat, Harry.
This is the first I've heard of the phrase "hate watching".

I guess I do watch things I'm unlikely to like but it's not that often - this will be because it has won an award/Oscar, it has been critically acclaimed, or is noteworthy for some other reason. Or perhaps I like an actor but not a director. There will be something that has to intrigue me but then again I'll try most movies.

I'm not sure, however, I'd ever watch something that would spark a hateful reaction. It seems a bit extreme.