Midnight Sleepover Viewings with Nostromo87

→ in
Tools    

That's the most positive rating/reaction I've ever seen for The Exorcist II. Personally, I'm with the masses on this one. I like plenty of bad movies, but The Exorcist II was just boring, lame and stupid and provided me with zero entertainment. Still need to see the third one, which I often hear is underrated. Never heard of Nightmare Sisters, but I watched the trailer in your link. Lost a few brain cells but the movie looks like a fun time. I'll keep an eye out for it. Already saw more boobs in that 4 1/2 minute trailer than a lot of other movies combined, and in my world, boobs = quality.

That's the most positive rating/reaction I've ever seen for The Exorcist II. Personally, I'm with the masses on this one. I like plenty of bad movies, but The Exorcist II was just boring, lame and stupid and provided me with zero entertainment. Still need to see the third one, which I often hear is underrated. Never heard of Nightmare Sisters, but I watched the trailer in your link. Lost a few brain cells but the movie looks like a fun time. I'll keep an eye out for it. Already saw more boobs in that 4 1/2 minute trailer than a lot of other movies combined, and in my world, boobs = quality.
We'd laugh our asses off at "Nightmare Sisters" I feel like. I could be getting inexplicably and crazily cheerful on my rare free nights for these viewings, possibly. The brews have nothing to do with it either.

Oh, man! Do you have a laserdisc player?
Having almost bought one several times, I wish.

Clownhouse (1989)

It's Friday night and three young brothers look for something fun to do while their parents are out of town. Seventeen year old Randy, played by Sam Rockwell in his film debut, and fourteen year old Jeffery want to go to the circus, but the youngest of the three has coulrophobia (fear of clowns). He's a ten year old named Casey. He didn't like the circus last year, it scared him. That causes the eldest to tease him, while middle-brother Jeffery steps up for his lil bro. Finally, Casey decides he'll go to show Sam Rockwell he isn't a wimp. At the big top, the youngest of the three goes to see the fortune teller to peer into the future where he gets his palm read. After that there's a big show in the center ring, and a Jolly Bros clown picks Casey to participate in a skit. He freaks and bolts out the nearest entrance of the tent. The whole town's there watching the show, so now everyone knows Casey's terrified of clowns. He tells Jeffery, "Their faces are fake. Big happy eyes, painted smiles. They're not real. You never know what they really are."

As the three leave the show to head home, there's trouble at the nuthouse, where the crazies live. Three mental patients escaped, and snatch some harelquin costumes from the Jolly Bros Clowns to start terrorizing the town. Director Victor Salva (Powder (1995), Jeepers Creepers, and Jeepers Creepers 2), designs some foreboding sequences in which the lurking threat takes precedence over gory murder depiction. Once back to their house- Randy, who seems a pretty standard guy giving his brothers a tough time, yet comes across as pretty awful at the same time, tells Jeffery and Casey some midnight ghost stories. That gets Casey's imagination going and he starts getting freaked all over again that "The boogeymen clowns are out to get me." The movie's not necessarily a masterpiece or anything, but if you like slashers, humorous setups, and keep an eye out for fun circus stories like I do, Clownhouse is a pretty entertaining horror entry.

Circus Synth Theme Track

Rating:
+ 6.5 / 10

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clownhouse1989.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	52081  

Not seen Clownhouse. I just know it's the movie where the director, Victor Salva, sexually abused his 12-year-old leading actor and went to prison for it. Normally I'm a big believer in separating art from the artist, but in this case, knowing what was going on behind the scenes, I can understand people being unable to parse any enjoyment from the film. I remember reading a review that mentioned a creepy focus on the boys in their underwear. I can't say I'm too keen on watching Clownhouse, either, even though I'm naturally interested in clowns-as-monsters horror films.

Not seen Clownhouse. I just know it's the movie where the director, Victor Salva, sexually abused his 12-year-old leading actor and went to prison for it. Normally I'm a big believer in separating art from the artist, but in this case, knowing what was going on behind the scenes, I can understand people being unable to parse any enjoyment from the film. I remember reading a review that mentioned a creepy focus on the boys in their underwear. I can't say I'm too keen on watching Clownhouse, either, even though I'm naturally interested in clowns-as-monsters horror films.
With that in mind, that makes Clownhouse even more messed up. Wonder how that guy was able to stay in the industry and go on to make the aptly named Jeepers Creepers films.