The Films of Darren Aronofsky

Tools    

In anticipating Mother! this weekend, I've been revisiting Aronofsky's films, and decided to make a thread reviewing his filmography. In chronological order. So, enjoy.

Assassination Nation- (3/4)
Mandy- (3.5/4)

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Pi (1998)

Aronofsky's first film Pi proved from the get go that a fresh new voice in cinema had arrived. Filmed in stark, grainy, black & white, the film is almost Lynchian in its hallucinatory imagery and set-design, recalling Eraserhead. But Aronofsky's vision remains entirely his own.

A film about mathematics, algorithms, and numbers turns into a mind-frying descent into obsession and madness, leading to a memorably disturbing climax. The way we are immersed into this characters state-of-mind is impressive as we start to feel just as claustrophobic and paranoid as the protagonist does. While a smaller feature, and not quite at the level of Aronofsky's best films, Pi remains a stunning and creepy thriller with unforgettable imagery, and an uncommon intelligence. Giving but a taste of the greatness to come.

3 out of 4

I quite like Pi but feel its a step down from his later works. This is how I'd rank the ones I've seen.

1. Black Swan -

2. Requiem For a Dream -

3. The Wrestler -

4. The Fountain -

5. Pi -

Phi was the best from him and for the 2nd qas black swan, imo. I like the fact it take a lot from tetsuo iron man, very raw and insane ride.
The other probably just not my cup of tea. Feel i need re seen the wrestler tho'

Its still very enjoyable but I suspect part of the reason Black Swan made such an impact at the time is that he was first to market in the US mainstream with that kind of ultra closeup filmed taught drama, we've had quite a few such films since then, some of which I did think were arguably superior.

I do think he's best suited to more small scale drama though, besides Black Swan my favourite by him is The Wrestler.

This might just do nobody any good.
rank

1. The Fountain
2. Black Swan
3. Pi
4. The Wrestler
5. Requiem for a Dream
6. Noah

Hyped for mother! as well. I've read... crazy things.

1- Requiem For A Dream
+
2- The Wrestler
+
3- Black Swan
+
4- The Fountain

5- Pi
-

Didn't watch Noah and I don't have the intention to watch it

This might just do nobody any good.
I kind of like Noah. It's fun un a very soulfully unhinged way.

Plus, this image is killer -

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I didnt realise he made Pi. Very disturbing movie. I loved it.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I've seen:
1. The Fountain - very good, philosophical
2. Black Swan - you all know
3. Pi - my first meet with Aronofsky. Love at first sight
4. The Wrestler - I had to come of age to watch it. But in the end I was fascinated. Mickey Rourke was brilliant.
5. Noah - I didn't know it was Aronofsky, when I watched it. Phenomenally showed Noah's story in modern way

Requiem for a dream - I haven't seen it and it was on purpose.

I've seen:
1. The Fountain - very good, philosophical
2. Black Swan - you all know
3. Pi - my first meet with Aronofsky. Love at first sight
4. The Wrestler - I had to come of age to watch it. But in the end I was fascinated. Mickey Rourke was brilliant.
5. Noah - I didn't know it was Aronofsky, when I watched it. Phenomenally showed Noah's story in modern way

Requiem for a dream - I haven't seen it and it was on purpose.
Eek I didnt know Noah was his either. I was told it was ridiculous so didnt bother. The Wrestler I loved - Rourke was outstanding.

Eek I didnt know Noah was his either. I was told it was ridiculous so didnt bother. The Wrestler I loved - Rourke was outstanding.
I didn't know about Noah for a long time, it was directed by A. And I watched when it was on TV. I was sitting like charm. It isn't ridiculous IMO

I didn't know about Noah for a long time, it was directed by A. And I watched when it was on TV. I was sitting like charm. It isn't ridiculous IMO
My sil mentioned it. I cant remember what she said exactly.

Is The Fountain depressing? Not sure I can watch that.

My sil mentioned it. I cant remember what she said exactly.

Is The Fountain depressing? Not sure I can watch that.
Different people, different opinion

The Fountain is specific, but I wouldn't say depressing.