21 Grams

→ in
Tools    

This film was put out by focus films, who in the last few years has had nothing but mind blowing hits. This is in no way Blockbuster type film, it uses different styles of editing to give it a feel that no other movie can deliver. 21 Grams is the story of 3 intersecting fates in wake of a horrible car wreck. The film stars Benicio Del Toro, Sean Penn, and Naomi Watts.

I just finshed checking out this movie on DVD and I must say it was absolutly amazing. It climbed into my top 5 list after just one viewing. If you have not seen it. It is a must. I know most of the members on this site enjoy nonblockbuster style films; if you are one of those people then don't wait any long. Naomi Watts and Sean Penn delivered 2 of the most memorable roles I have seen in years.

I give it a 10 out of 10!!!!!

Linkin Park Forums

Affordable and Reliable Web Designs and Hosting

Portfolio!!
www.MeteoraStudios.com
www.DigitalEinstein.com
www.LinkinParkForums.com

Originally Posted by ATLien
This film was put out by focus films, who in the last few years has had nothing but mind blowing hits.
Though your use of the term "hit" implies significant financial success, I'm inclined to agree with you otherwise. I'm beginning to love the Focus Features logo because I know I'm usually going to see a good film behind it.

Murderous Whirlwind of Wit
Did you see Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu's first breakthrough film "Amores Perros" (2000)?

"21 Grams" was indeed a pleasure to watch in all aspects. Once again, one of the most upcoming prolific DOP'S, Rodrigo Prieto, has gone beyond his already impressive credited films such as "8 Mile", "Frida" and "25th Hour", and captured the essence of what Inarritu was aiming to accomplish. He truly understands the art of cinematography with his intense handheld, mood lighting and crisp cinematic composition, a truly gifted individual behind the lens.

The editing was creative and incredibly well thought out. In addition to the brilliant directing and cinematography, Penn, Watts and Del Toro were outstanding on screen. It is sad how the Oscars work but hey, that is one man's opinion.

Focus Features has delivered over the past 5 years by pushing some of the finest independent films. It seems to be the leading choice for filmmakers today, especially with their significant success over the past year or so.

Check out "Amores Perros", if you haven't, for it's similar in theme and premise yet it set in Mexico, the structure of story for "21 Grams". A must see, along with the one of the best films of 2003, in my books, "City of God". I'd get into that film, but that is for another review.

Too bad the DVD released of "21 Grams" was soft on bonus material for it had the potential of being an excellent purchase.

peace!

R.R.

"Don't believe the HYPE!"

I got told that when a person dies their body loses 21 grams...and its the same for every person...does that have any relevance to this film? I haven't seen it but intend to, this question is just to put to rest by curiousity.

I loved the film except i would have to agree with Ebert that there comes a point where the non-linear structure becomes more of a stunt than a strategy.Non-linear storytelling is good in a film that makes good use of contrasting the past to the present but this non linear just jumps around and tries to seem smarter than it is.But it is still a great movie, I'm shocked that so many critics thought it was good,usually they will pick on it if it is too similar to the filmakers 1st film,like this one being so close to "Amores Perros",i was sure they would start saying that it has become a gimmick for Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu to make this kind of movie.

God, I loved Amores Perros. The way it was shot and put together, the acting everything. This is his first hollywood movie and I missed it at the cinema. I'm definitly gonna check it out on rental. Thanks.

Originally Posted by runningscared
I got told that when a person dies their body loses 21 grams...and its the same for every person...does that have any relevance to this film? I haven't seen it but intend to, this question is just to put to rest by curiousity.
Yes it does have something to do with it, Sean Penn talks about it. Can't really say why without spoiling things.
15 years ago, A mop boy named Melvin Junko fell into a case full of toxic waste and became a hideously deformed creature of superhuman size and strength, he became... The Toxic Avenger, the first superhero from New Jersey! Then came two shitty sequels, sorry about that. This is the real sequel.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
I just finally got around to watching this movie and I loved it! Sean Penn is one of the best actors of the modern era. Naomi Watts and Benicio Del Toro were amazing as well. I agree that the whole jumping around thing can be a stunt, but it worked in this film. I can't wait to see what Alejandro Gonzales does next.

This definitely had one of the best casts of 2003. Great movie, but Amores Perros was better.

Here to support the villians.......
Excellent movie, Penn should have recieved an oscar for this rather than Mystic River(brilliant movie as well but Penn's performance was extraordinary in 21 Grams)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
just got done watching this and wow this is one hell of a film. so good I brought back a 7 year old thread.

One of the most depressing movies that I have ever seen, but easily one of the best acted from Penn, Watts, and Del Toro. I say it's Watts and Del Toro's bests, and Penn's 2nd (to Mystic River). Great acting, great storytelling, though a shame it was so depressing, but I guess all great movies don't need to be straightforward and happy as a clam.

Agreed, great movie. A bit underrated but the non-sequential structure pretty much guarantees that. I overheard one person complain that they shut it off after awhile because "there were too many flashbacks", their words.

What did you think of the structure? I loved it. It turned what could have been an ordinary drame into a kind of psychological puzzle, and I don't believe the ordering is random at all. Many times, the juxtaposing of seemingly disconnected scenes intensified the emotionality of them for me, creating a unique feeling of being both a god-like observer yet also intimately involved. There's an ineffable tone of fate to the film yet I still cared deeply about the characters as it played out.

Very unique movie, very powerful acting throughout, and the way it is presented really forces you to pay attention and think about what you're seeing instead of merely passively accepting it.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I'm not a fan of non-linear movies.For me it's works good in comedies or maybe even crime movies(if Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction could be called non-linear),but 21 grams,Memento,Eternal Sunshine Of Spotless Mind - I just didn't like them.I think that mixed plot doesn't let the viewer to get to know the characters more because,like in 21 grams,we begin to see characters after their tragedy,then before it,the in the middle and so on.It makes harder to feel for them because it's hard to say what they feel.I prefer when a movie just flows from point A to point B.

^Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is another excellent example of a non-linear film. I liked 21 grams, but as I mentioned earlier in another thread, it's downhill from the start, i. e. very depressing.

Great film. The concept of death portrayed as best as possible by a superb director.