Movie Forums Top 100 War Movies - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

Here's what I wrote on it in the 28th HoF:

The Painted Bird (2019) -

I couldn't get into this one. Comparing this to other films about kids experiencing the horrors of war, it can't help but pale to Come and See, but every war film I've seen does, so I won't hold that against this film. What I will hold against it though is how cold I was left throughout it. In spite of how much misery the boy experiences and witnesses in the film (physical abuse, rape, suicide, animal cruelty, pedophilia, bestiality, antisemitism, etc.), the impact it had on him remained too vague for those scenes to stick with me in any lasting way. A lot of this falls on Kotlár since neither his acting nor his physical appearance make any changes throughout the film. Rather, he just keeps the same blank expression on his face and looks the same at the end of the film as he does in the opening. Even the retaliation angle in the second half of the film, while it's one of the more promising elements of the film, didn't click with me as well as it could've due to the reasons listed above. Technically speaking though, the movie is pretty good. Some of the larger-scale gunfights looked cool and, in spite of what I said up above, a couple of the disturbing scenes left a decent impact on me (that's to be expected with a movie like this though). Also, while fair criticisms could be made that the black and white photography looks too pretty and doesn't pair well the disturbing content shown in the film, I enjoyed how it created a contrast between the two. Finally, it was also cool to see Aleksei Kravchenko (star of the aforementioned Come and See) in this film, perhaps as a nod to the film. Overall though, the film sort of just came and went and was pretty forgettable.

Since I hate to leave another negative review here though, I will state that I had a completely different reaction to the film than Siddon and Citizen. While the film depicts wall-to-wall misery, I don't agree that the film goes too far or depicts misery just for the sake of it. The entire movie is set during WW2 and a large part of its goal is to depict how the brutality of the war rubs off on the main character (mainly in the second half). Due to this, I would say that every bit of violence is necessary and if the film showed more restraint on the violence, it might've been harder to buy the main character's arc. In order for it to be believable, you need to get a good idea of what causes him to behave the way he does in the second half. And this is what the film pulls off.

Also, like I said in the 28th HoF, none of the animals were actually harmed on set. They were all treated very well and their deaths were just cgi. I can understand someone disapproving of unstimulated animal cruelty for obvious reasons, but if we're also of the mind that films also aren't allowed to depict cgi animal deaths where the animals aren't actually mistreated, exactly what avenue should films take to depict these scenes? Or should simply be off limits from being represented in film altogether?

I watched The Painted Bird for the 28th hall. My review:

Directed by Václav Marhoul, this gruelling drama is about a young boy in Eastern Europe during World War II. After the death of his aunt, he is forced on a difficult journey where he meets terrible people and experiences and witnesses the evil and cruelty of humanity.**

First, I will start with the positives. The cinematography is excellent. This is a beautifully filmed movie. I think the actors did a decent job with the material that they were given to work with.**

However, there were several issues I had with the film. There isn't enough of a story here and there isn't much character development. We don't really get to know anyone. It feels like a bunch of bad stuff happening for the sake of bad stuff happening. The darkness, brutality and unpleasantness of the film weren't in service of the story or characters. It felt over the top and excessive and it didn't feel like a rewarding or worthwhile experience to me. The film is also much too long and drags on and on at times. It needed to be at least a half hour shorter. There was a lot that they could have (and should have) cut out. I can handle brutality and misery in films, but this felt like too much with no real point.*

...Animals on fire are an immediate negative for me, even if it's CG it still seems too real my mind...
...like I said in the 28th HoF, none of the animals were actually harmed on set. They were all treated very well and their deaths were just cgi. I can understand someone disapproving of unstimulated animal cruelty for obvious reasons, but if we're also of the mind that films also aren't allowed to depict cgi animal deaths where the animals aren't actually mistreated, exactly what avenue should films take to depict these scenes? Or should simply be off limits from being represented in film altogether?
Speling, I don't know if you're referencing what I wrote about The Painted Bird? Or if that's just a general thought you're touching upon? It's an interesting question so I will answer.

For myself and only myself, I hate seeing animal cruelty in CG form. Now that such scenes can be shown without hurting real animals, film makers seem to be embracing virtual animal torture for entertainment purposes *entertainment refers to any movie ever made, not just popcorn movies. I would not personally be in favor of some sort of ban on CG animal cruelty as obviously no real animals are hurt but I hate watching it period. That's all I got

Speling, I don't know if you're referencing what I wrote about The Painted Bird? Or if that's just a general thought you're touching upon? It's an interesting question so I will answer.

For myself and only myself, I hate seeing animal cruelty in CG form. Now that such scenes can be shown without hurting real animals, film makers seem to be embracing virtual animal torture for entertainment purposes *entertainment refers to any movie ever made, not just popcorn movies. I would not personally be in favor of some sort of ban on CG animal cruelty as obviously no real animals are hurt but I hate watching it period. That's all I got
I completely understand not enjoying watching cgi animal cruelty, but in regards to The Painted Bird, I don't think those scenes are presented for entertainment value (same with most of the movie's violence towards people, I would argue). It's a bleak and depressing film which explores all kinds of twisted behavior and I think its purpose is for us to bear witness and hope to understand the cruelty we see onscreen, rather than get entertainment from it.

In short, as I argued in my review, I wouldn't say the issue with this film is necessarily with what it depicts so much as how cold and distant it is with the main character's acting (and I'm normally not one who's bothered by acting).

I completely understand not enjoying watching cgi animal cruelty, but in regards to The Painted Bird, I don't think those scenes are presented for entertainment value (same with most of the movie's violence towards people, I would argue). It's a bleak and depressing film which explores all kinds of twisted behavior and I think its purpose is for us to bear witness and hope to understand the cruelty we see onscreen, rather than get entertainment from it.

In short, as I argued in my review, I wouldn't say the issue with this film is necessarily with what it depicts so much as how cold and distant it is with the main character's acting (and I'm normally not one who's bothered by acting).
OK, that's fine and thanks for explaining.

Question, did you think I was suggesting CG animal violence be banned from movies?

OK, that's fine and thanks for explaining.

Question, did you think I was suggesting CG animal violence be banned from movies?
No, I suppose my wording was a bit vague. I was mainly wondering which avenues people are okay with animal deaths being represented in film if cgi deaths are also frowned upon. I didn't think you were asking for it to be banned from films altogether.

No, I suppose my wording was a bit vague. I was mainly wondering which avenues people are okay with animal deaths being represented in film if cgi deaths are also frowned upon. I didn't think you were asking for it to be banned from films altogether.
Ah, I see.

I'm always happy to discuss my thought processes (as confused as they are)...I will add that I watch a lot of old movies and had to wince at animal cruelty, real animal cruelty. I recently watched Patton and enjoyed the movie but didn't enjoy the fact that I could tell a pair of donkeys were killed for real then dumped into the river, just sad to see. But that doesn't effect my opinion of the movie as it was made back in the day when that was common for film makers to do. I'm still considering it for my ballot but I have a lot of war films in contention, several from this Group Watch.

Ah, I see.

I'm always happy to discuss my thought processes (as confused as they are)...I will add that I watch a lot of old movies and had to wince at animal cruelty, real animal cruelty. I recently watched Patton and enjoyed the movie but didn't enjoy the fact that I could tell a pair of donkeys were killed for real then dumped into the river, just sad to see. But that doesn't effect my opinion of the movie as it was made back in the day when that was common for film makers to do. I'm still considering it for my ballot but I have a lot of war films in contention, several from this Group Watch.
A couple films I've seen in this thread are in contention for my ballot as well. Overall, this is a very good selection of films.

I swear I need a ballot of 50, so hard to cut movies but I'm seriously considering these Group Watch war films;

The Bridge (1959)
Land of Mine (2015)
King Rat (1965)
The Burmese Harp (1956)
Quo Vadis, Aida? (2020)

...and many of the other films here are very worthy of making the Top 100 countdown. I'm already looking forward to the next selection.

Going to really try to see this between today and tomorrow.
You've not seen The Painted Bird? Or are you going to rewatch it? I would've thought you'd seen it before as it seems like something you might watch as it's an extremely graphic movie. MovieGal really liked it and it was her nom in the 28th HoF. BTW are you still going to watch Quo Vadis Aida??

*double question mark was needed!

You've not seen The Painted Bird? Or are you going to rewatch it? I would've thought you'd seen it before as it seems like something you might watch as it's an extremely graphic movie. MovieGal really liked it and it was her nom in the 28th HoF. BTW are you still going to watch Quo Vadis Aida??

*double question mark was needed!
Never seen it, and still plan on watching the other. Been a busy few days with work and Dr appts, finally supposed to have my surgery 5/15-now that I've been feeling great haha

Also, given that ScarletLion is a fan of the film, I'm curious what he has to say on the film and our discussion of it.
My mini review when I saw the film 3 years ago:

I'd already decided this film was a modern masterpiece by the half way point. There have been many films that cover the horrors of Europe during WW2. But very few have done it as well as this. It does surely contain some of the most harrowing scenes in cinema, but it's also utterly astonishing in terms of the quality of film-making, the casting, the consistency of shot composition etc. It's just stunning. There are indelible images left on my brain whether I want them there or not. Anybody who appreciates films like Come and See, The White Ribbon and Ivan's Childhood might want to give this a go. There's a huge nod to Come and See regarding one of the cast members. And the performance by the young lad is brilliant. There's even a little nod to the cinema of Mikhail Kalatozov. Films like these don't come around very often.

9 out of 10
Absolutely astonishing
War is beyond horrible. Sometimes inexplicable. Exasperating. Doesn't make sense. I felt the director achieved what he set out to do which was depict all of these things. And also made a very beautiful war film whilst doing it.

Aside from my nominations, The Red Angel and The Shop on Main Street.
Not trying to be picky but it's simply "Red Angel", and very glad you enjoyed it. Though I do see a couple of places where it's called that.

Not trying to be picky but it's simply "Red Angel", and very glad you enjoyed it. Though I do see a couple of places where it's called that.
There is a movie called The Red Angel (1949) and with the new voting ballot it could be easy to vote for the wrong film.

Thanks for the correction

I'm just so used to "the" popping up in film titles.