Saint Omer (2022)

→ in
Tools    

Brilliant film. Compelling courtroom drama from Alice Diop about a Senagalese mother living in France accused of a heinous crime.

Directed superbly and delicately - with one of the best performances of the year from Guslagie Malanda as Laurence Coly. The film is based on the true story of Fabienne Kabou, a mother who, in 2013, abandoned her 15-month-old daughter on a beach in Berck-sur-Mer at high tide. Alice Diop, the film's director and co-writer, attended the trial.

The film is therefore semi-autobiographical as we see a young woman attend the trial in the film. It is hugely moving and depicts themes of alienation, xenophobia and culture clashes.

A real achievement - 9/10

Brilliant film. Compelling courtroom drama from Alice Diop about a Senagalese mother living in France accused of a heinous crime.

Directed superbly and delicately - with one of the best performances of the year from Guslagie Malanda as Laurence Coly. The film is based on the true story of Fabienne Kabou, a mother who, in 2013, abandoned her 15-month-old daughter on a beach in Berck-sur-Mer at high tide. Alice Diop, the film's director and co-writer, attended the trial.

The film is therefore semi-autobiographical as we see a young woman attend the trial in the film. It is hugely moving and depicts themes of alienation, xenophobia and culture clashes.

A real achievement - 9/10

Bailed out of this. Usually cannot stand courtroom dramas.

Me too. Can't think of any I actually like. Saint Omer was amazing though
Sometimes I’m just not in the mood.